'96 Puking Power Steering Fluid

ARbowhunter7

Opulence...I Has It.
I figured I'd post an issue that is annoying the hell out of me, and see if any ideas came up. I was on a pipeline in Louisiana in my '96, when it started puking PS fluid from the reservoir cap. By the time I realized it, the pump was on its way out, so I replaced the pump and lines with new Borgeson stuff, and Royal Purple synthetic fluid.
Well, now it's still puking fluid out the cap - a LOT of it. I have heard of the newer 2nd gens (hydroboost brakes) doing this when the accumulator fails, but my truck has vacuum assist. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old roommates 12v was doing this. Replaced the pump and still did it. Replaced the steering box and it fixed the problem.

Also, something I forgot: It happenswhen it sits overnight. I can drive it, then wipe everything down, and when I come out the next morning, there's a puddle of PS fluid on the ground.

I'm not exactly sure what caused it. The fluid looked bubbly and would pour out steady after driving a little. I assumed it was overheating or something. Either way the steering box fixed his issue.

Steering upgrade!! - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Check that out. You might be able to upgrade for way less than an OEM box costs.

Also, have you tried flushing the system? I'd assume you would have if you swapped pumps, but I had foamy gross stuff when I replaced my unit with a used one and there was nasty stuff in the old one. I flushed it a couple times before it wasn't foamy anymore.

Thanks for the link, man.
The only thing I keep getting hung up on (and would indicate that the issue lies somewhere else) is the fact that it pukes fluid while sitting overnight, at a very slow rate. That suggests to me that there is some issue like the newer trucks have, where the hydroboost accumulator slowly loses its charge as the truck sits, which overfills the PS reservoir as the truck sits overnight.
I don't understand how that could happen in the early 2nd gen trucks that have vacuum-assist, though.

Well, I just found the issue. It's no longer puking fluid like it was before (and I assumed was still doing). The m-f-ing brand new, name brand, way-more-expensive-than-reman Borgeson pump is leaking. It's dripping from where the shaft & housing are pressed into the reservoir. FML.

Well, I just found the issue. It's no longer puking fluid like it was before (and I assumed was still doing). The m-f-ing brand new, name brand, way-more-expensive-than-reman Borgeson pump is leaking. It's dripping from where the shaft & housing are pressed into the reservoir. FML.

They aren't pressed. It's bolted together with an oring.

I'd take the pump off, see if it looks decent still, clean the orings, and reassemble. I just did mine tight enough to feel good about it, but you could probably find the correct torques somewhere.

Glad you found the issue. Reading through your post, I was thinking it has to be a gravity drip, not from pressure. Can I ask why you have vacuum brakes?

I've had terrible luck with Borgeson. Quit using them a few years back after their replacement steering gear box wouldn't bolt up to my 05 CR factory frame. They told me it was the truck. (Long story)

If you get a replacement pump, they usually don't come with the bolts and will leak. I made that mistake before. I just bought a couple bolts at the hardware store and that fixed it. The replacement should have plastic caps in the bolt holes. I don't remember what thread they are anymore.

Back