Has anybody found tophat valve seals compatible with 2001 24's?

thatguy69

I installed a new set of tophat seals on my truck and ran them for about 17k before i had to tear the engine down, when i tore it down i noticed the metal part of the tophat had broke off on a bunch of my seals. After looking at it more, there is a small shoulder that goes around the guide. This shoulder doesnt allow the tophat seal to bottom out in the head and only gives it minimal support on the OD of the tophat,causing the outer part to to break off. Has anybody found any compatible tophat seals thatll work without machine work or should i just run the older style ones and call it good? I sharpied the seal to show thats the only part that sits on the shoulder causing the outter part to break off.

Attachments

• 20231222_195629.jpg
    20231222_195629.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231222_195403.jpg
    20231222_195403.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 0
I never ran valve seals on 12v motors, solved wearing out the guides on the exhaust by doing so. And couldn't tell a difference at all not running them as far as oil burn. Yeah may burn off a little bit of oil 1st crank after it's sat awhile..

Did the same with gas engines I used to run.

I never ran valve seals on 12v motors, solved wearing out the guides on the exhaust by doing so. And couldn't tell a difference at all not running them as far as oil burn. Yeah may burn off a little bit of oil 1st crank after it's sat awhile..

Did the same with gas engines I used to run.

I saw where some guys did that, I have a hard time wrapping my head around that not consuming a bunch of oil on a DD truck with as much oil that hangs out up top while running

Well I’ve learned something today. Jason, did the oil get down to the guides and help them last longer?

I guess you guys have never seen a valve covered in coke?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I had no valve coking issues, had the head off 3 times over a 4 yr stretch. No issues whatsoever.

And didn't have to replace valve guides over and over, solved my problem.

And didn't have to replace valve guides over and over

You had to replace your valve guides over and over? My ‘95 12-valve had over 550K on it when I sold it and I never had valve guide issues. Actually never had the head off.

Enlighten us
The oil runs down the stem and cooks to the valve. The guide scrapes it down like one of those gambling machines that push the quarters over the edge. Ends up looking like a Clydesdales shank.

I'm realizing now that I lost a shit ton of work related photos in a hard drive failure.

Not saying that you can't run with no stem seal, just that it can lead to coking of the valve stem.

You had to replace your valve guides over and over? My ‘95 12-valve had over 550K on it when I sold it and I never had valve guide issues. Actually never had the head off.

I ran mine hard as a hot rod. But daily drove and still towed with it. Low 11 street truck

The oil runs down the stem and cooks to the valve. The guide scrapes it down like one of those gambling machines that push the quarters over the edge. Ends up looking like a Clydesdales shank.

I'm realizing now that I lost a shit ton of work related photos in a hard drive failure.

Not saying that you can't run with no stem seal, just that it can lead to coking of the valve stem.

I guess running mine around 1600° plus kept everything clean.

Back