DEF in the diesel tank!?

We had such a problem with it on our school buses that they have had the driver's fuel cards set up where they cannot buy DEF, they have to come to the shop and get it, and they have put locks on the DEF doors so the drivers can't get into them.

Curious what the total bill was?

Hard to say. I had some small lines and the fuel filter housing, rail and all the connector tubes/injector lines.

Around 430ea on the new style injectors.
750 for cp3
250 for intank pump
I think around 70 bucks for each fuel line from and to the tank
New rail psi sensor (14 they are different) and relief valve

Plus tons of time and cleaner with small gun cleaning kit to clean and flush head

Sounds like the stealerships are pretty prepared to stick it to the customer.
Makes a new truck for double, even triple the $$$ seem not so bad.

Naahhhh, they'd never go and do something that low, would they? :evil:

Mark.

Hard to say. I had some small lines and the fuel filter housing, rail and all the connector tubes/injector lines.

Around 430ea on the new style injectors.
750 for cp3
250 for intank pump
I think around 70 bucks for each fuel line from and to the tank
New rail psi sensor (14 they are different) and relief valve

Plus tons of time and cleaner with small gun cleaning kit to clean and flush head

So I'm adding up about $6500 in parts add labor say $1000

I still don't see $14K

OK I didn't think about the head needing work...The price just went up.

Just Clear/surface the area around the valves?

I used to ***** about GM putting the DEF fill under the hood, I guess they had a reason. Although it may not stop this kind of thing. I didn't realize it was this serious.

Last edited:
No a Chebby owner would put def in the oil.

kelso-burn-240x180.jpg

I work at a truck dealership. You'd be surprised how often this happens. We even get some in where the driver fills the def tank with diesel. Not sure how they get the nozzle in there, but by damn they figure it out.

If the doser would spray it, diesel in the def tank might be interesting. Maybe gasoline would make for a better show.

What did the head and cyl walls look like?
Did the customer run it until the truck wouldn't run, or was it always a good mixture of urea and diesel?

Cyl walls looked great. Looked with boar scope. I would say that the engine/cyl head would be fine. I don't think the truck can run long with def in the tank to hurt it. I think def is like 70% water. But depending on how much fuel was in the tank who knows.

Only reason to take head off is to properly clean it. This stuff rusts almost instantly and grows white crystal looking stuff. The injector holes were packed full after I let is set a day after removing the sticks. I think if you would flush everything right away you could save some things.

Can't say I blame the dealers for wanting to replace the head. Discretion is wiped out as much as possible for them so they don't have joe blow oil change tech making decision he has no business making.

If its a ram dealer doing the work and using dodge parts it can push 15-20 grand quickly.
List on a cp3 for a 15-16 is 6045 Injectors list for 1315 each. It doesn't take long to get over 15k. At my dealership we've probably done 10 or 12 that have had def in their diesel.

Hell we've seen gas trucks come in filled up with def also.

Back