Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Article
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GM Article Write your own GM Articles

Closed Article

Article Tools
Installing a Super Diesel Center Link Installing a Super Diesel Center Link
The How To
wideopen
08-07-2007
  1. To start the process Jack the front of the truck up and place truck on Jack Stands.
  2. Remove the wheels and tires.
  3. Remove the Skid Plate for proper access to the Center Link.
  4. On each side of the truck remove the nut on the top of the Tie Rod. Then Tap the Tie rod out. Sometimes this can be a problem to remove, the steering wheel may need to be turned from side to side to make removal easier.
  5. This should leave the Tie rod hanging free.
  6. Unscrew the large Nut at the end of both Tie Rods that connects it to the the Factory Center link. Make sure that the tie rods stay on the same side as removed. You may want to mark the drivers side and Passenger side.
  7. Using an 18MM Socket/Wrench remove the Nut that connects the Steering Stabilizer to the Factory Center Link. The Nut is located on top of the CenterLink. Let hang free.
  8. On the Passenger side of the Truck, Remove the Cotter Key that is holding the Crown Nut in Place. With the 21MM Socket remove the Nut.
  9. On the Drivers side remove the other nut that secures the Center Link to the Pitman Arm.

CAUTION: Be carefully when you remove this nut. The Center Link is Heavy and will hurt you if it falls off.
  10. Some Factory Center Links a Seized up. This is where the Puller comes in play.
  11. Place the supplied grease Zerk's in each end of the New Center Link.

Click the image to open in full size.

12. Install the New Super Diesel Center Link onto the truck , remember that the side with the two Holes goes to the Passenger side and that the grease Zerk's go down.
    Some have installed the Tie Rods onto the Center Link at this point, if you are doing this by yourself installing them later may be easier.
  13. Install both nuts on each side of the Center link and tighten to factory spec.'s. {46 ft lbs for the pitman/idler to centerlink nuts, tie rod ends to steering knuckle 50 ft lbs.} Remember that the Crown Nut goes on the passenger side. Install the cotter Key.

14. Now insert the Stabilizer into the bottom of the Center Link and tighten the Nut.
  15. On each side screw the tie rod into the end of the centerlink, you may need to remove the sway bar bolt to make installing this easier.

16. Re-install the the Tie rod Nuts at the Spindles, the Skid Plate, wheels and tires and have it aligned .

Article Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Featured Articles

Test Article

Test Article
Santa Gertrudis on 08-07-2007, 10:03 PM
very nice writeup Phil! Im sure that if I drove a GM truck, that would come in very handy!
Noreaster on 08-07-2007, 10:21 PM
46 ft lbs for the pitman/idler to centerlink nuts, tie rod ends to steering knuckle 50 ft lbs. Don't know the factory spec for the stabilizer since I have an aftermarket setup.
I was going to do a write up but you saved me the work. Id also recommend the idler pivot from Supersteer(lifetime warranty)
Also, I attached the tie rods to the centerlink off of the truck,IMHO much easier.
wideopen on 08-08-2007, 07:38 AM
I agree I am going to add that to the Article.
wideopen on 08-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the Torque Spec's NE..I added them to the Article.
SmokeShow on 08-10-2007, 03:15 PM
very good. now where'd that money go for the centerlink....
wideopen on 08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Money well spent if your gonna torture your truck like I do...
Freighttrain on 08-18-2007, 06:44 PM
The SD centerlink is a great piece. I just installed a new one today. The first one bent, but it was all my fault for not strapping my front end properly.
It a beautiful piece of machine work and very beefy. Turning radius is a bit wider. overall it's a must upgrade, especially if you plan on hooking to a sled with big tires.
xcablb7 on 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
i thought the new centerlinks were designed so you didn't have to strap the front end anymore like you do with a stock one ?
kyle03d on 01-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcablb7
i thought the new centerlinks were designed so you didn't have to strap the front end anymore like you do with a stock one ?
Your right. Centerlinks should not bend no matter what.
Noreaster on 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle03d
Your right. Centerlinks should not bend no matter what.
& yours magically doesn't?
SmokeShow on 01-30-2008, 08:17 PM
lets hope not since it's a knock off.
kyle03d on 02-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Take away the bling of the SS and make it out of a better material and yes "magically" NOT ONE has bent.
Noreaster on 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle03d
Take away the bling of the SS and make it out of a better material and yes "magically" NOT ONE has bent.
SS isn't for the bling, keeps it from turning into a rusted POS after a winter in saltbelt.
kyle03d on 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
SS isn't for the bling, keeps it from turning into a rusted POS after a winter in saltbelt.
Hence the powder coating silly! I'd go for black over bent.
Closed Article

Article Tools