Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
1965LONEWOLF

Name: 1965LONEWOLF
Title: lonewolf
Member`s Gallery
Clicking noise & hum ??

Lets see if my comp diesel family can figure this one out ? I have a 2010 dodge 3500 reg cab 4x4 diesel with 60k on it . Rear drive shaft has new u joints , front shaft was dropped at a driveshaft shop and they said it checked out ok , axle joints seem ok , can find any play with them , dropped the front pan and everything looks good in there, so the problem I'm having is when its in 4 low, you get these clicking sounds and its not as bad in 4 high when your driving around on dirt or in a field. AND it could be the related but between 70 and 80 you get a hum on the highway , you can almost control it with the pedal, let off its there but you can find that sweet spot and no hum. Took it for a 50 minute ride today at 80 mph and stopped to see if i could fine any heat from any parts ? rear shaft fine , front shaft fine , stuck my hand inside the front axle area and no heat , ONLY place I found heat was the transfer case , seem hot on the front side and entire case seemed hot , front side hotter then rear. ANY THOUGHTS OUT THERE ?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
Front wheel hub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 05-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
1965LONEWOLF

Member`s Gallery
Thanks dieselbeef , no offense to everyone out there but only 1 response ? I was hoping a few more guys would chime in ? I'm not bashing anyone on here because I vie seen some post on here whether is was deserved or not, someone get bashed and abused.
Just looking for report on this if you and or friend has gone through this so I can get it fixed.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
xDiesel03

Name: xDiesel03
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
My front axle u joints didn't show much wear doing the normal check but they were bad. Jack up the front end and spin the front wheels by hand. Check them straight, turned right, and turned left. If it is the u joint or bearing you will be able to tell which one it is. When my bearings were on the way out the wheels would click and bind when I tried to spin them by hand turned to one side.

2012 2500 CCSB 4x4 3.73 Firepunk EFI and Comp3, D&J Built 6.7L, S&S 200%, ATS Dual CP3 w/ Exergy 12mm, S366/S483 Compounds [1086/2289]

Old 05-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
1965LONEWOLF

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDiesel03 View Post
My front axle u joints didn't show much wear doing the normal check but they were bad. Jack up the front end and spin the front wheels by hand. Check them straight, turned right, and turned left. If it is the u joint or bearing you will be able to tell which one it is. When my bearings were on the way out the wheels would click and bind when I tried to spin them by hand turned to one side.
Just did that and put new upper and lower ball joints in and wheel bearing in two month's ago , spun the tires last night and tires are spinning fine , when in 2 wheel drive no clicking sound and 4 h some but 4 low is more , not all the time but every 5 - 10' you'll here it click, doesn't do it continuously.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Pvmt-Pndr

Name: Pvmt-Pndr
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Noises and vibrations are hard for us to help with. I don't know how many times I've seen people describe noises or vibrations and at the end of it, it wasn't even related to anything anyone was thinking.
You mentioned your tcase being warm. Does the tick sound like it could be a chain slipping? Have you checked the fluids in everything. Front and rear diff, tcase, transmission, all that good stuff. Check for any metal in anything too while you're at it.
I have a vibration from 60-75 and I for the life if me can't figure out what it is! I do 80 and no vibration. Unfortunately I think my problem is just going to have to go BOOM so I know what it is I need to fix....
2007.5 Cummins, 4x4, RevMax 850, Locked 4:10s, ATP Tuned, Tater 67/67, AirDog 165, stockish fuel

Old 05-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
1965LONEWOLF

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
Noises and vibrations are hard for us to help with. I don't know how many times I've seen people describe noises or vibrations and at the end of it, it wasn't even related to anything anyone was thinking.
You mentioned your tcase being warm. Does the tick sound like it could be a chain slipping? Have you checked the fluids in everything. Front and rear diff, tcase, transmission, all that good stuff. Check for any metal in anything too while you're at it.
I have a vibration from 60-75 and I for the life if me can't figure out what it is! I do 80 and no vibration. Unfortunately I think my problem is just going to have to go BOOM so I know what it is I need to fix....
have to say your 100% correct . It could be but I don't think so, checked everything for fluids and I run synesthetic in everything. I always start the the easiest thing and work your way up the ladder. I checked the front pumpkin last night and fluid was fine, drained it to make sure and visually everything looked good, just eats you up trying to figure it out . I don't know how hot or whats normal for temp for the transfer case either. It's always had the hum since I bought the truck a year ago , the clicking or popping sound just started last weekend when I was towing a pulling truck around to the scale area .

Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
sure the popping isn't just the diff slipping? mine jumps the whole truck if I try to turn in 4wd and its not real soft ground...

the hum I still say is a front hub..

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 05-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
1965LONEWOLF

Member`s Gallery
Thanks to everyone who responded, it end up being drivers side axle u joint , appeared to be fine but when it was taken out one of the caps was frozen and missing the little pins. The hum I'm hearing between 70 - and 80 mph might be an exhaust drone ? i can control it with the pedal. Wish I could get rid of that but don't feel like a putting a new muffler on to see ?

Old 05-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
rdix7991

Name: rdix7991
Title: Grumpy
Member`s Gallery
FTE Resonator will kill that drone.

Closed Thread