Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Full Pull Productions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #41
cumminsconvoy

Name: cumminsconvoy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
I'm not sure how a true 3.0 truck with ODL would stack up against an open single with SDL.

It would probably have less breakage and stay in the points really well....but to win individual hooks, I'd think that open single would be hard to beat.

Pick your poison kind of thing.

There are 2 or more trucks in PSD that a 3.0 could not beat the only chance would be to hopefully out gear them and out run them.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #42
cumminsconvoy

Member`s Gallery
I ask everyone to keep an open mind, and think about what is best for the sport and what we can do to open it to a wide range of pullers? We also need to remember the fans we need to keep giving them a good show to keep them coming! In my class I have been asking the other puller's, what can we do to make the class closer and open it to more competitors?
Just what I'm thinking

Old 09-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #43
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsconvoy View Post
There are 2 or more trucks in PSD that a 3.0 could not beat the only chance would be to hopefully out gear them and out run them.
Yeah or hit the gears just right on a really loose track where power is not always your friend.

Just a dumb question.....how many 3.0 trucks are out there within reasonable driving distance of FPP's region?

How many trucks is NTPA getting in their 3.0?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #44
HIGH TECH RAM

Name: HIGH TECH RAM
Title: Haters!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw99 View Post
How does the hitch rules in 2.6 line out?? I wanted to go pull a couple times this year and buddies told me my reese STYLE hitch wouldnt pass.. its not bolted in its welded and it doesnt move in or out?
They never check that stuff. He'll the only thing that's ever been checked on mine is the shut-off. Chargers were never checked. Hell there were lever style hitches. But Matt's correct. If you don't put 20' on 2nd place then it's kind of a rwyb 2.6 class

Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #45
nwpadmax

Member`s Gallery
Danny, get ahold of RJ and tell him what you have and I'm sure he'll work with you.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #46
Leadfoot

Name: Leadfoot
Title: Here to learn
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I ask everyone to keep an open mind, and think about what is best for the sport and what we can do to open it to a wide range of pullers? We also need to remember the fans we need to keep giving them a good show to keep them coming! In my class I have been asking the other puller's, what can we do to make the class closer and open it to more competitors?
Just what I'm thinking

You'll have better luck trapping a unicorn.....

What's logical often gets overlooked by individual agendas.

I hate to be so negative, but if "us pullers" did what was best for the sport from the beginning, there would not be a need for posts such as this.

I completely agree with you cumminsconvoy, but I don't see it happening. If it did, I would be EXTREMELY impressed.

"here in ohio you better play the lotto and win to get enough cash to be able to afford to build a dmax to be competitive in the 2.6 class with trucks from 1000 to 1200 hp!"

Old 09-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #47
Leadfoot

Name: Leadfoot
Title: Here to learn
Member`s Gallery
To actually add something productive to this thread....

In a factory driveline class, measures need to be taken to limit power to a reasonably safe level. Once it goes beyond that, it's tough to reign it in (all the guys who spend the money on more power will ***** that it's not fair), but for the betterment of the sport, that is what is needed.

The only other option is to allow open driveline but that opens up a whole new can of worms, and the $$$ usually pushes people out (as they already have a factory driveline or two on hand). Once it gets to the point of repeated driveline carnage a TOUGH decision has to be made either way. It gets just as expensive to continually fix/upgrade as it does to swap out to open driveline, but going open driveline has it's own issues.

A class that starts out factory driveline needs to set limits and continue to limit power to live within that requirement. Those that have more power often get pissed because they realize they have to back it down and can't use it as a crutch/advantage any more, they fear the fact they will actually have to learn suspension setup, tire pressures, and track readings (insert sarcasm) which have absolutely no place in truck pulling, it should be if you get beat, just pay for more HP and screw the rest of the fundamentals......

OK rant off :-)

"here in ohio you better play the lotto and win to get enough cash to be able to afford to build a dmax to be competitive in the 2.6 class with trucks from 1000 to 1200 hp!"

Old 09-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #48
Ragged Edge

Name: Ragged Edge
Title: TRUCK PULLER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it just gets old chasing rules every year. The cost of everything has went way up in this sport since it's beginning. Your looking at about 14k to put a odl setup under a truck. It's not the cost of the reverser or dropbox that gets you. It's the cost of every little small part that you have to have to make it work that adds up. We use to have 30 trucks down here in the stock driveline 3.0 class, now there is nobody. The cost of it has drove everyone away.
X2 on cost.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #49
Ragged Edge

Member`s Gallery
I know I can't run with a 3.0 odl truck , the fact of the gearing option they have ,and the turbos that cost an arm and leg, just for a top of line 3.0 charger is insane, which most people are proably thinkn well if you run pro stock than you have a bigger than 3inch true, but they are also junk yard charges that work OK and are cheap. Maybe this sport not for me anymore ,seems like everyone must have a sh!t load of money to blow and all they want to do is change rules so only the ones with bottomless pockets can win just my two cents since I don't even run for points just for the fun which this sport is getting away from.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #50
nwpadmax

Member`s Gallery
Well, and let's face it, many with stock driveline trucks think it's impossible to compete with the ODL trucks....just scares a lot of 'em right off.

It's probably somewhat legit because if you have the coin to drop on ODL, you probably got coin for other badass parts.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #51
BigB82789

Name: BigB82789
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
I know I can't run with a 3.0 odl truck , the fact of the gearing option they have ,and the turbos that cost an arm and leg, just for a top of line 3.0 charger is insane, which most people are proably thinkn well if you run pro stock than you have a bigger than 3inch true, but they are also junk yard charges that work OK and are cheap. Maybe this sport not for me anymore ,seems like everyone must have a sh!t load of money to blow and all they want to do is change rules so only the ones with bottomless pockets can win just my two cents since I don't even run for points just for the fun which this sport is getting away from.

Why dint you just get a 2.6 charger and run 2.6?

01 Dodge

91 Dodge

Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #52
Tony R

Name: Tony R
Title: New Build is For Sale.
Member`s Gallery
There is a guy running cotpc 3.0 with a stock driveline doing pretty decent. For a good 3.0 charger your looking at 4k. So now where at 18k to go 3.0 odl. IMO it's just not worth it anymore. If you got a odl you do have a advantage the reverser and dropbox free up some hp to turn them how much idk. Plus your able to gear the truck to what the conditions are where in most stock driveline trucks you got one choice.

Last edited by Tony R; 09-23-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #53
Ragged Edge

Member`s Gallery
[QUOTE=BigB82789;1571387]Why dint you just get a 2.6 charger and run 2.6? not sure

Old 09-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #54
Ragged Edge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
Well, and let's face it, many with stock driveline trucks think it's impossible to compete with the ODL trucks....just scares a lot of 'em right off.

It's probably somewhat legit because if you have the coin to drop on ODL, you probably got coin for other badass parts.
Well what if FPP just let us run a bigger rearend thats all we really break anyway?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #55
05_LLY

Name: 05_LLY
Title: Hi Im earth, have we met?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH TECH RAM View Post
They never check that stuff. He'll the only thing that's ever been checked on mine is the shut-off. Chargers were never checked. Hell there were lever style hitches. But Matt's correct. If you don't put 20' on 2nd place then it's kind of a rwyb 2.6 class
I know there was an illeagal hitch or two, but i also know i need both hands to count how many times our turbo was checked. IMO the 2.6 rules are good, just need checked/enforced better. Hitches and turbos is where id start!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #56
rickFPP

Name: rickFPP
Title: Promoter USA-EAST
Member`s Gallery
thanks, caleb, for standing up for our techs. i just looked at the paperwork and turbos were checked at 6 of 14 hooks in 2.6 Diesel and twice in the GTO Series. however IF your truck was never in the TOP FOUR or was not at one of the first two pulls (where many were checked) it is likely that you may not have had a turbo measured at a USA-EAST pull.

my question?? how many other places are measuring 2.6 turbos more regularly than that??

Old 09-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #57
cumminsconvoy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You can't hold the the class back from growth, I understand your frustration with the cost....but you are going to have that with with anything the guys that can buy the best parts usually win. Evan in the 2.6 class im sure there are some guys in 2.6 that have more money in their trucks than some of the pro street guys.

The open drive line rule was not made to make the puller spend more money but was made to save the puller money by stopping expensive breakdowns. Also this help the promoter to ensure that his pullers will be out night after night to compete and put on a good show! I have heard rumor that the Kentucky 2.6 class is going to allow open rear end to help them from breaking.

If they are going to open drive line that doesn't mean that you have to put and open drive line in you truck to compete just run it the way they are (and I would bet money that Tim and Gambinos could wax the 3.0 trucks night after night) with stock drive line. Or a puller could take steps... charger this year, rear end next year, drop box reverser to follow. Also if this is not the road that some pullers want to take most pro street trucks should be able to run the 2.6 class with minor changes.

I'm not saying this to start a fight, I just want to help promote this awesome motor sport, and bounce ideas off everyone, in hopes that might help out the pullers, promoters and most of all the fans!!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #58
timlb703

Name: timlb703
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
My entention isnt to start any problems. With the technology of diesels and parts/information avalable I felt some people are loosing intrest in the sport. Look at the attendance.

So with that said. What if we opened the rule up to let more people in. I wasnt trying to say I need ODL. We all know the parts are avalable to turn the stock driveline into a pretty close set up.

I have herard the comments. " look at the money in that thing" Its motorsports. I had just as much money in it last year, and had my a$$ handed to tme time and time again. I would like to simplify my set up. Odl would do that for me.

I like the 3.0 odl in pro stock and unlimited single. If it would bring more people. I think a 3.0 odl would have a hard time being on top. If the truck hooks decent the is no substitute for horse power. I like the pro stock pullers and would like to continue to pull with them. One of the competors of the class built my transmission and has seen my truck up close many night helping. If I was to go to RWYB I would loose that group and be the odd guy out. I have no problems with them just dont have a intrest in pulling with them. This sport/hobbie is what the most of us enjoy to do. That is why some of us fight like girls.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #59
timlb703

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You can't hold the the class back from growth, I understand your frustration with the cost....but you are going to have that with with anything the guys that can buy the best parts usually win. Evan in the 2.6 class im sure there are some guys in 2.6 that have more money in their trucks than some of the pro street guys.

The open drive line rule was not made to make the puller spend more money but was made to save the puller money by stopping expensive breakdowns. Also this help the promoter to ensure that his pullers will be out night after night to compete and put on a good show! I have heard rumor that the Kentucky 2.6 class is going to allow open rear end to help them from breaking.

If they are going to open drive line that doesn't mean that you have to put and open drive line in you truck to compete just run it the way they are (and I would bet money that Tim and Gambinos could wax the 3.0 trucks night after night) with stock drive line. Or a puller could take steps... charger this year, rear end next year, drop box reverser to follow. Also if this is not the road that some pullers want to take most pro street trucks should be able to run the 2.6 class with minor changes.

I'm not saying this to start a fight, I just want to help promote this awesome motor sport, and bounce ideas off everyone, in hopes that might help out the pullers, promoters and most of all the fans!!
I agree 110%.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #60
timlb703

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_LLY View Post
I know there was an illeagal hitch or two, but i also know i need both hands to count how many times our turbo was checked. IMO the 2.6 rules are good, just need checked/enforced better. Hitches and turbos is where id start!
This supposed to be for fun. Rite? I continue to scratch my head at the meat heads that fell it is necessary to bend/break the rules to win. I bet that is a sh!tty ride home knowing they won that way.

I say if you see something grey call them out. No hard feeling between pullers. If caught with something. Ban them for a week or two. That would make them think twice.

Closed Thread