Toasted the big block

74dually 454

The 454 in my 74 c30 finally took a ****. Dropped oil pressure destroyed a few bearings and bent a rod. With me in it it weighs 5600lb.With A small cam truck went 15.0 @ 88mph with a DA of 8100. Now just kinda testing the waters on what i want to do, weather that be a 12valve swap or a duramax. Or even just build a buck nasty big inch nitrous motor (gasser). Any input is helpful.

A 12v Cummins is by far the cheapest and easiest swap but a duramax would be way cooler in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

A 12v Cummins is by far the cheapest and easiest swap but a duramax would be way cooler in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

This. The 12V is sort of fitting as well since it's the "350 of the diesel world" or whatever my buddy tells me...

Will say that Cummins swaps are boring...even though I have one, so does everyone else.

The 454 in my 74 c30 finally took a ****. Dropped oil pressure destroyed a few bearings and bent a rod. With me in it it weighs 5600lb.With A small cam truck went 15.0 @ 88mph with a DA of 8100. Now just kinda testing the waters on what i want to do, weather that be a 12valve swap or a duramax. Or even just build a buck nasty big inch nitrous motor (gasser). Any input is helpful.

At your altitude you might have more fun with a turbo diesel than a gasser, at least a normally aspirated one.

Really it depends on your budget and circumstances. If you use it to haul and work and occasionally take it to the track you will probably be happiest with a diesel swap. If your budget is tight go for a 12-valve Cummins and if you have more play money you can go for a CR Cummins or a Duramax. If it is a dedicated race rig, I'd actually consider selling the truck for what you can and buying a chassis that is more drag race friendly then put money into that rather than spend a ton on the big heavy truck to go kinda fast...

Either way you go, keep having fun with it... Don't bite off more than you can chew and end up with a truck sitting in storage while the project is stalled due to lack of interest or lack of funds... Believe me, you'll kick yourself if you had a fun vehicle and let it sit for years as I have with my Camaro!!!!:doh:

At your altitude you might have more fun with a turbo diesel than a gasser, at least a normally aspirated one.

Really it depends on your budget and circumstances. If you use it to haul and work and occasionally take it to the track you will probably be happiest with a diesel swap. If your budget is tight go for a 12-valve Cummins and if you have more play money you can go for a CR Cummins or a Duramax. If it is a dedicated race rig, I'd actually consider selling the truck for what you can and buying a chassis that is more drag race friendly then put money into that rather than spend a ton on the big heavy truck to go kinda fast...

Either way you go, keep having fun with it... Don't bite off more than you can chew and end up with a truck sitting in storage while the project is stalled due to lack of interest or lack of funds... Believe me, you'll kick yourself if you had a fun vehicle and let it sit for years as I have with my Camaro!!!!:doh:

Its just a lil street truck. Won't be using it to haul really anything. Funds are halfway there lol. Don't make enough for a expensive 632" or a built duramax. But if i could get it into the 12s up here id be plenty happy. The blower idea is sweet but finding a 671 or 871 is a pain in the dick.
And whatever gasser i build would either be nitrous or blower. Being na up here is horrible

Selling the truck is not an option. The set up i have in mind will be a killer on the street and track.

Blown DMAX. The 12v is the LS of the diesel world.

Have a truck? 12v swap!

Muscle car? 12v swap!

Nissan 240sx? 12v swap it!

Crown Vic? 12v it!

That's an 8 valve :hehe:

I vote Dmax swap. Core engines aren't that expensive, and stock motor will handle power to run 12's. Only downfall is wiring if you suck at electrical stuff.

Back