Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Any Suggestions for Front Leaf Spring Setup??

I know there will probably be a limited number on here that this might pertain to but if anyone pulls a truck with leaf spring front suspension and would like to offer some suggestions for hop-free pulling, I'd appreciate it.

I'm putting a Dmax/zf6 into the 83 GMC in my sig. The truck was already a pulling truck and the guy said at a truck weight of 6500+, it never hopped any. Sometimes it did bounce when under 6200. The diesel class around here is 8000 pounds so hopefully no issues but I'd like to hear some suggestions.

At the least, I'm going to try and throw a set of traction bars on the front. How much will shocks help with the hopping to control rebound? What type of shocks (as far as cushy or stiff) are best for pulling? maybe some adjustable coil overs?

This just makes me a little nervous cause I've grown up watching the 6200 pound GM gas trucks get bouncy at times. Then again, they don't get to hang front weights like I will and obviously aren't nearly as heavy either so I may not see any problems. Just would hate to get this all together and not be able to get it to pull right.

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
house

Name: house
Title: the Fat kid!
Member`s Gallery
softer the more worn out leafs the better i only had 2 on the ford, times i almost thought about going to one
2013 VW Jetta TDI..

Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
yeah, I've read that on truckpulls.com Which is good because I think the springs in it are the originals and almost arch the other way or close to flat. With weight on them, they will surely arch the other way.

How about the rake of the truck. It's currently setup typical style with the ass all up in the air. I kinda like what I'm seeing on the trucks "bulldog style" with the ass down and front almost up. Think there's a maroon dodge diesel running that way (can't remember his name at the moment but it runs real wheels and has a baby keg for fuel tan kin bed I think) and some of the gas trucks too. Think they come out of the Performance Trucks stable. Would like to know more about that setup and logic behind it.

C-ya

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
JERONIMO

Name: JERONIMO
Title: i use to pull tractors
Member`s Gallery
I'm doing pretty much the same thing with a cclb Chevy in the same vintage. Mines a 85 and using a Cummins though. I'm going to use the main leaf and a dual nitro shock on mine with a ladder bar. I'm taking the ubolts and the sway bar off completely. And just let the ladders locate the front end.

Closed Thread