P-Pump Help!

I have ran into a recent issue on a dt360 swap i am doing, i know this is the dodge forum but I also know cummins guys know more about P-Pump than others. I bought a P3000 pump off a dt466 and didnt realize that it is a left hand rotation pump. I need right hand rotation for the dt360. To my understanding the rotation is determined based on the pump cam? So would I be able to get a right hand cam out of a P7100 and make it work in this pump? Or would it be easier to sell the P3000 i have and just buy a cummins P7100?

The 160 pumps off the dodge trucks use a D shape profile cam that I always heard was because it could be used either rotation.

I have ran into a recent issue on a dt360 swap i am doing, i know this is the dodge forum but I also know cummins guys know more about P-Pump than others. I bought a P3000 pump off a dt466 and didnt realize that it is a left hand rotation pump. I need right hand rotation for the dt360. To my understanding the rotation is determined based on the pump cam? So would I be able to get a right hand cam out of a P7100 and make it work in this pump? Or would it be easier to sell the P3000 i have and just buy a cummins P7100?

Cam swap would usually be cheaper than a new pump, unless you have a cheap deal lined up on a used pump already. Jasonc is right, the D shaped cam on the 160 pump will run in either direction. Do you know what cam you have? An indicator on one of the plungers and a degree wheel on the gear can tell you what your cam profile looks like. If the ramp on both sides of the cam lobes is equally steep, it will run in either direction.

I will have to look when I can but, the pumps can run either way?? I would think if you spin the pump the opposite direction and reverse the firing order in the pump. Like the motor is 135246 and the pump would send fuel in reverse (642531).
Also, is there something in the serial number that would tell me what cam I have?

You can't put a P7100 cam in a P3000. They are a different profile and they have a smaller taper on the front for the gear. Also you'd have to have a pump shop do it anyways, it would require a complete overhaul. You're probably better off buying a used P7100 off a Cummins, I'm sure you can grab a working pump between $500 and $1000. That would be much cheaper than paying a pump shop to rebuild your P3000 with the correct cam, and balance it on the stand.

You can't put a P7100 cam in a P3000. They are a different profile and they have a smaller taper on the front for the gear. Also you'd have to have a pump shop do it anyways, it would require a complete overhaul. You're probably better off buying a used P7100 off a Cummins, I'm sure you can grab a working pump between $500 and $1000. That would be much cheaper than paying a pump shop to rebuild your P3000 with the correct cam, and balance it on the stand.
Thats what I thought. Thanks everyone for the help. Anyone know someone selling a p7100 for pretty cheap?

Back