Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
Nickh77

Name: Nickh77
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Opinions on cam bearings??

Curious to know everyone’s experiences/opinions on having or not having cam bearings in a 5.9 block. Getting ready to put an engine together and don’t know if it’s worth the money right now or not. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 02-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickh77 View Post
Curious to know everyone’s experiences/opinions on having or not having cam bearings in a 5.9 block. Getting ready to put an engine together and don’t know if it’s worth the money right now or not. Any help would be much appreciated!
Probably should let everyone know how much horsepower goal, cam, valve springs combo.

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #3
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
4 (maybe 5?) years on a billet Hamilton cam with no cam bushings in my limited pro stock truck. Run good oil and monitor the valve lash constantly and you'll be fine.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
I have 7 engines running with hamilton billet cams , with no bushings and zero issues .

Old 02-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
Nickh77

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cummins5.9 View Post
Probably should let everyone know how much horsepower goal, cam, valve springs combo.
Okay here’s what I’m putting together. Hoping for Atleast 800hp. Ultimate goal would be to break 1000. If that happens with some spray I’ll still be satisfied. Anyways I’ve got a 12v engine im building. I’ve got a steel 188/220 Hamilton cam, Hamilton 165# dual valve springs, common rail tappets and mantons 7/16 pushrods. Stock valves. Head will be heavily ported and polished. I have one head with the shelf cut off but can’t find a good used billet intake and buying a $1000 Intake isn’t in the budget right now so probably going to just stick with a heavily ported stock head. ARP 425 head studs to hold it down. 5x.018 injectors, maxed 180 pump with 5k’s and I have every intention on spinning 5k rpm regularly. I’ve got a steedspeed t4 manifold with a gate port and an s475 to hang from it. Didn’t plan on running a wastegate. Going to watch drive pressure first couple of runs to determine whether I need a waste gate that bad or not. Turbo specs, 75/83 I believe and I have a .90 and 1.0 housing for it. Vin tag on it comes back as a s464 but compressor clearly measures a 75 so idk if that’s why the exhaust side is so much smaller then a normal box s475. The guy I bought it from was a truck puller so maybe it was milled. I’m not sure but it’s like new and ought to move some air! I think that’s about it. Might throw rod bolts and main studs in it while it’s tore down. Most of these parts I’ve collected over the last couple of years slowly so not trying to dump a bunch of money into this thing. Wouldn’t mind doing a girdle just for extra re-assurance if I found a good used one for cheap. Also have a brand new fluid dampner with the arp mounting kit. Thanks for the quick replies guys! Don’t mean to write a book just trying to give all the info on my goal here.

Last edited by Nickh77; 02-20-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
Nickh77

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstacks95 View Post
4 (maybe 5?) years on a billet Hamilton cam with no cam bushings in my limited pro stock truck. Run good oil and monitor the valve lash constantly and you'll be fine.
Bigstack95 when you say good oil are you talking 15-40 rotella t4, t6 synthetic, amsoil?? What’s your idea of good oil? Not trying to be sarcastic here. Seriously asking

Old 02-21-2019, 06:56 AM   #7
bigstacks95

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickh77 View Post
Bigstack95 when you say good oil are you talking 15-40 rotella t4, t6 synthetic, amsoil?? What’s your idea of good oil? Not trying to be sarcastic here. Seriously asking
Not synthetic. 20w50 high zinc. Brad Penn or equivalent.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
I wouldn't use a steel cam in a street engine . High zinc oil is a must ,and power driven makes high zinc 15w40

Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
Nickh77

Member`s Gallery
I probably shouldn’t have said steel because it could be confused with a billet. It’s a cast cam. Not billet. Plan on it being a street/track toy.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
bigstacks95

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
Without going through all the posts and not knowing end goal, I was under the impression 20w50 was primarily competition and shouldn't be street driven?
Id say 20w50 is primarily for competition however we have a few customers who run it in the summer time with no issue. We just love it for the high zinc content and its availability.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
It's not a competition vehicle by any means, but I've been running a 20w50 amsoil for about 6 or 7 yrs in my truck. It's not listed in the diesel section, its ARO for the product code. Noticeably smoother running and easier starting than the generic 15w40 rotella I ran before. It's a high zinc oil for flat tappet engines.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
Turbobark

Name: Turbobark
Member`s Gallery
Sorry this if off topic, but can 20w50 be used in a stock clearance engine?
I was always told to stick with 15w40, but mine isn't a daily anymore. I run Brad penn 15w40 right now.

1999 Cummins VP44
Carli Suspension 3.0 Dominator, Mach 4 Inj, Fenley Turbo HX35R, Goerend Transmission

Old 02-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #13
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
If the engine is out I would go ahead and do it just for insurance reasons. I have broke cams in 12v because I did not have cam bearings and was running cast cams, high rpm and pretty healthy springs. If it was me I would put them in. Then there is really no worries later on if the cam is eating the block.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 02-25-2019, 06:21 AM   #14
Nickh77

Member`s Gallery
Thanks!!

Closed Thread