4v Harland sharps rockers??

TheHammer

broke
Looking for individuals who have experience with these on a Cr. A customer of mine has a want for a set. I’ve heard rumors of them failing. So any input would be great.

I know a guy that has(had) them with nothing but problems. I believe the needle bearings kept failing. Id stick with stock, im pretty sure most of the big cummins trucks at UCC ran stock rockers

I would love to sell and install him a set. But he won’t open up to that idea.

The one set of harlands* I’ve seen failed due to an oiling issue, whether it be a design flaw or the individuals oil choice or maintenance procedures.

Multiple failures on them. It's not an oiling problem or install problem. Stick with stock rockers. Several 1500+ hp, 5000rpm pull trucks run stock cummins rockers

He had been sent that minutes before I made this post. Was hoping Garrett was going to chime in with why he has that.

Personally, I've always marveled at the idea of why a 24 valve DOESN'T have more rocker failures than they do.
A roller tip probably isn't much, if any, better than the ball/socket tip design they already run, Lord knows they still wear the valve guides out with either design.

The saving grace is that the 24 valve uses so much less (stock) spring pressure on the valves than most engines out there, which probably keeps the rocker failures way down, but I still see a lot of galled fulcrum and shafts from stone stockers.

I throw a LOT of damaged (usually galled) stock rocker arms away. :(

Oh, for the record, I'd NEVER run a needled/caged bearing on the fulcrum of ANY rocker, it's just begging for trouble.
Bronze works just fine, IMO.

Mark.

Huh......

Oh, for the record, I'd NEVER run a needled/caged bearing on the fulcrum of ANY rocker, it's just begging for trouble.
Bronze works just fine, IMO.

Mark.

You only work on tractors?
Granted, we dont use harland sharp, but we use tons on needle bearings on rockers for many years. Never had a single one fail. Nitro motor has about 800psi on the seat with a 1 inch lobe......no failures of needle fulcrum rockers.

Yeah, I spoke out of turn, not considering ALL things that can run roller fulcrum rockers.

I would still avoid them where possible, though.

Mark.

Back