450-500 horsepower with a 160 pump on #2 only.

BigBadDually

how would you do it? I know it can be done, but not many people have achieved it.
So i need peoples input on how i am going to do this?

what pump mods? Would it be cheaper to get a good used 215 pump and have it turned up?

What injectors?

what delievery valves?

Injector lines?

fuel lines?

What turbo?

What headwork?

And anything else.

I would really like to hear everyones different opinions.

Thanks alot guys, i have been lurking around here for a while and it never fails to amaze me at the knowledge on this site. Anyways i am just now going to start my build. This truck will be a daily driver, occassional tower, and occassional racer. Finally got the cash togeather for a billit trans, so i want to know what i am going to need to achieve my goal. :st: :evil

I would like to run a set of towing twins. I want a very quick spool up but something that will still pull pretty hard up top.

drivability w/ a 215 pump will probably be better due to the cam... I've been wanting to play with a 180 pump to see what I could get out of it vs. a 215.

anyhow, deep cut plate, modded AFC, mack front plug, full cut DV's, and some honkin' injectors.

Smokem said:
400hp is possible with stock injectors on the 160/175hp pumps using an HX35. Laser cut delivery valves should not be used on the street, they provide no fuel control even though they are popular. The 180hp and 215hp pumps use the same camshaft. A better question would be what is your budget for this project?

What dv's and plate would you run and what other pump mods?

I would like to keep costs down as much as possible, But saying that i want this motor to hold togeather for a long time. I will do a big set of ARP studs, o-ring the head and some port matching and polishing. I dont want to turn this engine much past 3000 rpm. So what should i be looking at here? The pump will be sent into Mr. Garmon for its tweaks unless i can get enough fuel out of it myself. If I can get 400 horse with stock 160 injectors then a set of DDP3's do the trick for for my horsepower goal?

I have well more than 500hp on my daily driver with a 160 pump. My answers to your questions are below.

what pump mods?4kgsk 0 plate

Would it be cheaper to get a good used 215 pump and have it turned up? ?

What injectors? Set of 220hp injectors from JL machining

what delievery valves? Laser cut from JL

Injector lines? stock

fuel lines? stock

What turbo? Custom S300 S400 twins

What headwork? fire ringed and studded

And anything else.
HTS transmissions to get the power to the ground. FASS system. I still see around 18 mpg on a average week. Sometimes it better sometimes it's worst.

Last edited:
Smokem said:
What hone size do you run and with or without edge filters?

They are EDM'd injectors, I dont think you use a hone with EDM'd injectors, but I do not know the size. I do know that they modify more than just the tip, and that the edge filters are removed.

Sorry but thats all i know.

Smokem said:
Jon does not interior hone the 5x0.014", so I am guessing you have the 5x0.016" with the edge filters removed.

Jon told me once but I forgot and 5x0.016 sounds about right. I want to get larger ones but dont think the 160 pump can keep up. I have no more smoke.

Last edited:
Smokem said:
What is your low pressure delivery system consist of?

If this question is directed towards me, it was just the stock LP. I was on the dyno at HTS dyno days and the truck put down 608hp and 1350ftlbs

Smokem said:
I would check into it.

Scence the dyno I have added a FASS system so I dont think it will be too big of a problem. Plug is I blow the injection pump I can build a new one, a better one that flows more.:evil

Smokem said:
Oh, I see, I thought you mentioned the stock lift pump meaning as a stand-alone.

When I dynoed at 608/1350 I only had the stock lp (no FASS). At that time I was running 12.2s in the 1/4. That was last year. In may I added the fass system and ran 11.6s in the 1/4 I have not gotten it re-dynoed so I was just going off my old numbers.

To try to be more clear, August of 2006 I was at the HTS dyno days. I put down 608/1350 with 160 pump and stock lp (no FASS).

That seems a little strange, I am in the same hp range but i never clean up. It may be the difference between a single and twins but even with NOS i don't clean up. Even when I added a FASS pump.

Back