Engine build in progress, a few ??

sniperonhigh

12v Rookie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a few questions on an engine I am building, goal is a nice streetable 650-700 that tows a lot and races on the weekend. Twins with over 60psi, plus water. I hope to only do this once, so I want to build in some growing room if I decide to crank it up.

Head studs - is 12mm ok, anybody wish they would have done the 14mm first? What is involved in the 14mm studs, looks easy enough.

O-ring the head, block, or fire rings?

Main studs-who needs 'em?

Rod bolts-factory ok?

Best piston(20* timing max), what about coated tops/skirts? Lighter weight ok or do you have to rebalance? I probly have to clean up the bores to .020.

Camshaft-which one is best, also what about lifters?

Valve springs-also what about retainers and locks?

Pushrods-anybody make these for a 12v?

Windage tray/pan baffles-anybody notice the oil pickup on these things, is this ever a problem?

What did I leave out? I know about kdp, and it is a 2175, I will start another thread for the turbos, pump mods and injectors.

Any vendors can pm a price on this stuff,

Thanks.

Comments inline in red

sniperonhigh said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a few questions on an engine I am building, goal is a nice streetable 650-700 that tows a lot and races on the weekend. Twins with over 60psi, plus water. I hope to only do this once, so I want to build in some growing room if I decide to crank it up.

Head studs - is 12mm ok, anybody wish they would have done the 14mm first? What is involved in the 14mm studs, looks easy enough.
I'd go 12mm ARP fasteners. There's more to fasteners than size. Material counts.

O-ring the head, block, or fire rings?
I like an oringed block. Some like fire rings, some say orings. Do what ever your machine shop is most comfortable installing.

Main studs-who needs 'em?
You. :) It's debatable at 600-650hp, but extra insurance never hurt anyone.

Rod bolts-factory ok?
Talk with your builder. There's rod options now, but stock Cummins parts should be ok for your build. Your builder needs to be confident in what they install and that matters more than anyone's opinion since they're standing behind their work.

Best piston(20* timing max), what about coated tops/skirts? Lighter weight ok or do you have to rebalance? I probly have to clean up the bores to .020.
I have not a clue on the best piston. I'm running an oddball that handles my abuse. Options normally range from $110/hole to over $300/hole. I've heard reports of more, but that was exotic parts. :evil Rotating assembly should be balanced IMHO.

Camshaft-which one is best, also what about lifters?
I'm biased and say the Helix series from F1 Diesel. There's other options out there, but that's what I've used and it works excellent for my app. Lifters, new, stock from Cummins is your best bet unless you need super high lift rates with 7k rpm.

Valve springs-also what about retainers and locks?
The 60lb springs work on both the intake and exhaust side. Search this site for the number.

Pushrods-anybody make these for a 12v?
I think there are aftermarket sets out there. Stock appears to work with most applications including many aftermarket cams.

Windage tray/pan baffles-anybody notice the oil pickup on these things, is this ever a problem?
Not to my knowledge. The 6B/ISB series oil pumps all flow excessive numbers.

What did I leave out? I know about kdp, and it is a 2175, I will start another thread for the turbos, pump mods and injectors.
You'll need stout transmission options...

Any vendors can pm a price on this stuff,

Thanks.

Edit: WELCOME TO COMPD!!!

brandon.

Back