150/180-2014 psi question.

Extended Power

Dan, when I first install my FASS, it had 45 psi. (I PM'd you about this long time ago.)
You sent a new spring, and fitting to get the pressure way up because I was running a Regulated return on it.

Well, it ran perfect, until I got rid of the Regulated return stuff.

I put the old fitting, and spring in, because with the other spring and fitting, the pressure was 80+ psi.

But...now I'm back down to 45 psi.

I would like to be at 60 psi, just running the FASS system.

Can I shim the old spring, or do I need a new spring, and fitting again?

Ivan

Dan, when I first install my FASS, it had 45 psi. (I PM'd you about this long time ago.)
You sent a new spring, and fitting to get the pressure way up because I was running a Regulated return on it.

Well, it ran perfect, until I got rid of the Regulated return stuff.

I put the old fitting, and spring in, because with the other spring and fitting, the pressure was 80+ psi.

But...now I'm back down to 45 psi.

I would like to be at 60 psi, just running the FASS system.

Can I shim the old spring, or do I need a new spring, and fitting again?

Ivan

WELL take the two fittings i sent you. Make sure one has a deeper spring pocket than the other. THEN also look at the springs. Should be the same ga. wire, but one spring should be longer. You are more than likely running the shallow fitting with the short spring. That is our 45 PSI combo. BUT the other combo should put you in the 60's. IF you are going higher than that....i bet your fitting is not the correct one. Nother words, you have 2 of the same fitting.

At the 80 PSI+ pressure...was the FASS returning fuel? It shouldnt have been........

You are correct.
The short spring, and the short pocket fitting are in there now, and running at 45 psi.
Before I took the other fitting and spring out, I closed the regulated return line, and the pressure shot up to 80+ psi.
That's why I don't think I can run the other fitting, cuz it has a deeper pocket, and a stiffer spring.
Can't put the stiffer spring with the shorter pocket, and I can't put the deeper pocket with the shorter spring. (Way too much pressure, or way too little.)
The stiffer spring, and the deeper pocket ran good with the regulated return, but without it, it is way too high.
That's why I ask if I can some how shim the shorter spring, in the shorter pocket fitting.

I will pull the fitting out, and take pictures, cuz I think the stiffer spring was the same length, but thicker wire material...not sure.

Ok, here are some pictures:
The picture that shows both fittings, and springs...the setup on the right is the 45psi setup. (Silver fitting)
The measurement of 1.004" is the long spring in the High pressure, Gold fitting.
The measurement of 0.822" is the short spring, in the low pressure, silver fitting.
The measurement of 0.139" is the depth of the spring pocket on the High Pressure, Gold fitting.
The measurement of 0.047" is the depth of the spring pocket on the Low pressure, Silver fitting.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Well this is why I can't take the longer spring and change it with the shorter spring, and vise/versa...They are already configured for maximun psi, if I change anything, the pressure will be less.

You have a PM on TDG BTW

I would rather do it the right way...
Plus, by cutting the spring down, you make a sharp end, not rolled like it is now. Any movement, and it would start to cut into the fitting, or the checkball.

Man.....you got it right...i cant send you anything differant...the long spring with the deep fitting should get you about 60ish.....i would put it back in and see if the FASS is returning fuel or not. If it is...i can promise you that the pressure is under 75-80 PSI.......i mean it should be working.....

check that out and let me know what you get.....

Ok...I will. Worst thing to happen is it's too high for about a minute, then I just put in the other 45 psi setup.
I will install the Longer spring, and the Gold fitting.

Thanks Dan!!:Cheer:

WELL take the two fittings i sent you. Make sure one has a deeper spring pocket than the other. THEN also look at the springs. Should be the same ga. wire, but one spring should be longer. You are more than likely running the shallow fitting with the short spring. That is our 45 PSI combo. BUT the other combo should put you in the 60's. IF you are going higher than that....i bet your fitting is not the correct one. Nother words, you have 2 of the same fitting.

At the 80 PSI+ pressure...was the FASS returning fuel? It shouldnt have been........

Ok, just measured the O.D of both springs.
The shorter spring is 0.057" thick.
The longer spring is 0.064" thick.

They are NOT the same gauge size...

Ran the truck with the higher pressure spring in it. Ran up to 80 psi, then dropped down to about 62 psi.
All is good.

Thanks Dan!!

Ran the truck with the higher pressure spring in it. Ran up to 80 psi, then dropped down to about 62 psi.
All is good.

Thanks Dan!!

That el work! Looks like our ball was sticking just a bit. Some times they just need a little :kick:! :hehe:

Glad its working for ya!

My pressure is always high when I start cold....like 75psi. Sits there for 5-10 minutes then drops to 54 where it runs normally. Just wondered if this was a normal thing or what was going on. It's done it since new. I have a 150/180-2014

My pressure is always high when I start cold....like 75psi. Sits there for 5-10 minutes then drops to 54 where it runs normally. Just wondered if this was a normal thing or what was going on. It's done it since new. I have a 150/180-2014

Couple of things first:

Have you checked your gauge on this? AND do you have a regulated return?

I use two gauges actually, and yes I do have a regulated return installed, but the regulator is shut off so that only the FASS is returning fuel to the tank. Both gauges consistently do the same thing. High pressure cold then drops after a few minutes of run time. It doesn't matter if I open the RR regulator a tiny bit or not. I've tried it both ways and still get the same results. After it warms up the pump will only produce 54 psi max. , which is about where it should be, right?

I use two gauges actually, and yes I do have a regulated return installed, but the regulator is shut off so that only the FASS is returning fuel to the tank. Both gauges consistently do the same thing. High pressure cold then drops after a few minutes of run time. It doesn't matter if I open the RR regulator a tiny bit or not. I've tried it both ways and still get the same results. After it warms up the pump will only produce 54 psi max. , which is about where it should be, right?

WELL 54 should be fine. You can try to pinch off the return line on the FASS and see what your pressure goes up to. Should be about 80 PSI or so if you have the 180 GPH kit. If you have the 90 GPH should be around 135ish.

You might clamp off the return from the engine and see if that makes any difference as well. Just to make sure your regulator on the engine is doing its thing. (I’m not a huge fan of regulators on the engine being used with our FASS systems. Tends to complicate things. I feel a flow control valve would work better...i have a post on this...ill look for it....)

Back