Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #21
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
It’s a real gauge, but I wouldn’t swear to it’s accuracy. I’m with Mud, I don’t think you hurt anything. Were you empty? Towing?

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #22
bateman

Name: bateman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
I'd worry more about a blown HG than a bearing issue. I'm sure its fine.
I’m the guy that called you yesterday about the already leaking coolant head gasket haha. I took a good drive today and leaned on it. Did fine.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #23
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
It’s a real gauge, but I wouldn’t swear to it’s accuracy. I’m with Mud, I don’t think you hurt anything. Were you empty? Towing?
700 pounds in the bed. So empty haha. Guess I figured the oil psi would be higher. Running shimmed pumps in my LSX cars was 60-80psi. 40 just seems low.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #24
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
I stalled the engine in my 97(didn't unlock the convertor soon enough) at the end of a pull. The engine would not turn over when I tried to start it. Got towed back to my trailer, back at the trailer it fired off, blowby was everywhere. It was the last hook of the season and was working on a new engine. So I parked it for the winter, long story short the new engine didn't get finished, so I went out in the spring and started it, evidently a ring or something was stuck and had freed up. Ran that engine the whole season. Number 6 always ran a little colder than the others at idle on the EGT, but once it had built boost it was pretty close. As the others have said. Run it!
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 07-02-2020, 12:51 AM   #25
bateman

Member`s Gallery
That’s wild. I guess one should never give up on a 12 valve too soon haha.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #26
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
roll...any problems will show themselves..id be more worried about oil leaks now..my truck will do 220 and 1300 egt pulling my camper on a reg basis..itll be fine

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 07-02-2020, 06:10 AM   #27
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I could tell you not to worry like everybody else has, but as gear heads, we have no choice. Haha.
Most people in this world have no idea what makes a vehicle go. As long as it starts and moves it's okay. Push on the gas and steer it. Push on the brake to slow, or stop it.
Knowing the in's and out outs of systems is a gift and a curse at the same time. Every time we take something apart and put it back together we are hyper sensitive to any tick, smell, or blip on the gauge panel. Most folks would have been stranded on the back roads when the belt popped, but you knew enough to risk it.
Hell if you're like most, somewhere deep inside you almost looked forward to digging in.
That being said. Run it.

Last edited by Snedge; 07-02-2020 at 06:12 AM.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #28
Ugly Dodge

Name: Ugly Dodge
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
I could tell you not to worry like everybody else has, but as gear heads, we have no choice. Haha.
Most people in this world have no idea what makes a vehicle go. As long as it starts and moves it's okay. Push on the gas and steer it. Push on the brake to slow, or stop it.
Knowing the in's and out outs of systems is a gift and a curse at the same time. Every time we take something apart and put it back together we are hyper sensitive to any tick, smell, or blip on the gauge panel. Most folks would have been stranded on the back roads when the belt popped, but you knew enough to risk it.
Hell if you're like most, somewhere deep inside you almost looked forward to digging in.
That being said. Run it.
Amen.

Not trying to win another dumbass award but.. I buried the temp gauge in mine a month ago forgetting to turn the fan on idling for 15 minutes on a sunny hot day. Blew the radiator. Truck runs fine. So far. I’ll wait until the last minute to call Mishimoto.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:12 AM   #29
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Man that’s like some gear head gospel Snedge. My girlfriend has said similar before. I’ve always got a friend with a broke down vehicle or boat and I’m usually the one they ask for help. I’ll sometimes complain in front of her and she will remind me how thankful the friends are and that it makes me happy to help. I can’t imagine the money I would have spent on my own vehicles if I wasn’t a DIY type. I gotta admit though, I’m still a newb when it comes to these diesels. It’s been addicting thus far.

Gary and Uglydodge, it’s been a very telling thread here haha some real good examples of how dam tough these chunks of iron are. Makes me like this old rusty truck just a little bit more.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #30
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
I’m the guy that called you yesterday about the already leaking coolant head gasket haha. I took a good drive today and leaned on it. Did fine.
, I'd worry more about cab mounts than that motor.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #31
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Hahah yea really. I’ve called everyone I can think of and they’ve all turned me down. Looks like I’ll have to do it myself. Imagine that!

Old 07-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #32
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
, I'd worry more about cab mounts than that motor.
Quote:
Hahah yea really. I’ve called everyone I can think of and they’ve all turned me down. Looks like I’ll have to do it myself. Imagine that!
Haha, I draw the line at body work myself. Patching is one thing, but doing the kind of work needed to do a good job I'll leave to the body-shop.
I don't do enough drugs to allow that level of patience.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #33
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Apparently insurance claims are the only thing worth doing. They pretty much laugh when I ask about welding in cab mounts. I was willing to pay way more than I thought the job was worth. Oh well. I’ll drill the spot welds out and weld the new ones in some how. Don’t own a spot welder but there has got to be another way to burn them in.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #34
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Apparently insurance claims are the only thing worth doing. They pretty much laugh when I ask about welding in cab mounts. I was willing to pay way more than I thought the job was worth. Oh well. I’ll drill the spot welds out and weld the new ones in some how. Don’t own a spot welder but there has got to be another way to burn them in.
so is it just the bushings? or is the metal rusted out?

Old 07-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #35
bateman

Member`s Gallery
It’s the metal. Floors are fine. The whole truck is fine otherwise. Bought it in NC and apparently the salt likes to hang out in the front cab mounts. I don’t think it will be too bad of a job. I just need to talk with someone and figure out the best way to weld them in without a spot welder. Probably not any real scientific answer haha. If they are welded in they are welded in I suppose.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #36
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooker View Post
Usually after I do dumb stuff like that, I put some fuel additive in to spoil it, tell the truck I'm sorry and keep going.
This made me laugh

Old 07-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #37
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Still running strong!

Old 07-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #38
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
drill a hole in the mont and make yer weld inside it like a spot weld...on another note..facebook ahs a first gen group and I just read about someone selling cab maounts..after market stuff...ill look but I forget where ..first gen cummins or somethin like that

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 07-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #39
bateman

Member`s Gallery
Thanks Gary. That’s the plan with drilling the holes and what not.

These are the mounts I’m using https://bodyshopprice.com/1994-2001-...old-as-a-pair/

Old 07-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #40
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
gotcha..thought it was a first gen...

rip wrongway...

Closed Thread