Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #1
crpower

Name: crpower
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Cab swap

So I have found an 02 1500 southern quad cab in the same color as my truck. Before I get it I just wanted to see if anyone had prior experience doing the swap. I’m guessing all 3rd gen cabs no matter model are the same?

Old 01-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Quad cabs, yes. They are the same. The single cabs themselves are the same, with exception to the doors. Take note of the rounded corner on the bottom rear portion of the window on earlier single cab doors, vs. newer single cabs.

I did a cab swap on my 05 using a late 02/03 1500 cab. Everything fit like a glove with exception to the SRS module on the trans tunnel. One of the two holes was off a little. Drill it out and move on.

Also a good time to insulate the floor and roof of the new cab with some FatMat. Apply two layers to the back wall. I also utilized the firewall insulation from the 1500 in combination with my diesel firewall insulation.
Automotive Sound Dampening | FatMat Sound Control | Rattle Elimination
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 01-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #3
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Here is my thread about the swap.
3rd gen Cab Swap/Rebuild - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Notes from the differences in cabs:
Things I've noticed from doing this swap so far, gas to diesel cab shells. There are some holes for battery box mounts that need to be tapped on the passenger side. M8 x 1.25 tap.

The SRS airbag module that mounds on the trans hump under the dash, mounts different from 03-05. It's easy to modify and I used a self tapping screw to make it work. Self explanatory if you see it.

Knocked out the hole for 4wd shifter. Had to move the rear seat back cab wall mounts from my 05 to 03 cab. The 03 trucks have a one piece rear seat and 04-05 have 60/40 rear seat. Very easy.

I noticed the seat belt material is different from 03-05. This would bother me so I swapped over all my 05 seat belts. Headliner also has a different pigtail where it plugs in at the driver side a-pillar by the dash.

Windshield wiper motor has a different plug, so I swapped over my wiper assembly from the 05.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #4
crpower

Name: crpower
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
Here is my thread about the swap.
3rd gen Cab Swap/Rebuild - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Notes from the differences in cabs:
Things I've noticed from doing this swap so far, gas to diesel cab shells. There are some holes for battery box mounts that need to be tapped on the passenger side. M8 x 1.25 tap.

The SRS airbag module that mounds on the trans hump under the dash, mounts different from 03-05. It's easy to modify and I used a self tapping screw to make it work. Self explanatory if you see it.

Knocked out the hole for 4wd shifter. Had to move the rear seat back cab wall mounts from my 05 to 03 cab. The 03 trucks have a one piece rear seat and 04-05 have 60/40 rear seat. Very easy.

I noticed the seat belt material is different from 03-05. This would bother me so I swapped over all my 05 seat belts. Headliner also has a different pigtail where it plugs in at the driver side a-pillar by the dash.

Windshield wiper motor has a different plug, so I swapped over my wiper assembly from the 05.

Thanks I’ll check the thread out. I’m just getting a shell since the interior is rough on the 1500 cab. So I’ll be putting everything from mine into that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closed Thread