Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #101
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M. View Post
I'm using 4 independent mechanical leveling valves, so it should add just enough pressure to maintain ride height. I think pretty similar to what you were describing.
My question is when it comes to off road, are the outside springs going to try to flip the truck in an off camber situation? I don't do any hard off roading, but I do see some washouts, ditches, mud, and things like that. I was thinking maybe a shut off valve between the spring and leveling valve turned off before leaving pavement might help?

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you would want to keep the leveling valves active when you are off road. Keeping them active will allow the leveling valve to add air when a tire drops into a washout or a hole.

Neway suspensions are the kig of air ride off road in semis. They are set up with a leveling valve in all four corners to follow the contour of the ground and keep the truck level. Watch the video.

Neway ADZ - More Durable - YouTube

Last edited by RockinRam96; 06-13-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #102
cquestad

Name: cquestad
Member`s Gallery
That's a pretty small reservoir for that monster 10 inch diameter bag...and it still helped a ton! What were the approximate diameter and length of it...I would love to run the math of that bag...then that bag with reservoir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
I'm pretty sure your awesomeness gets in the way of seeing anyone else's results.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #103
cquestad

Name: cquestad
Member`s Gallery
RockinRam....it does the opposite....so not...you definitely do not want the leveling valve operational while in travel. They are god awful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
I'm pretty sure your awesomeness gets in the way of seeing anyone else's results.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #104
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquestad View Post
That's a pretty small reservoir for that monster 10 inch diameter bag...and it still helped a ton! What were the approximate diameter and length of it...I would love to run the math of that bag...then that bag with reservoir.
I thought the tanks might be too big for them? I'm starting to run short on room under the truck too. The fuel tank goes in between the frame in the rear, and the exhaust has to go outside the frame if I ever get it done. I just have it dumping down behind the cab currently. I'll have to measure them but I found a listing for a used one online. It says 9.5x9.25. But then says 9.5 wtw, 12" oal 9.5 dia.

OTHER Freightliner Other (Stock #21401329) | Air Tanks | TPI

I have my 2 rear bags controlled by a Touche Little Larry valve. I can air up or deflate each bag individually and I have a dual needle pressure gauge to monitor them. I had a single leveling valve for a semi on it for about 2 days and didn't like how it acted going down a weird field entrance. If it was flat and straight it was ok, but not side ways and un even.

Jesse, I hope we're not cluttering up your thread too bad. I know the discussion in here helped me already.
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Last edited by DieselWrencher; 06-13-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #105
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWrencher View Post
I had a single leveling valve for a semi on it for about 2 days and didn't like how it acted going down a weird field entrance. If it was flat and straight it was ok, but not side ways and un even.
Where did you have the leveling valve mounted? Both to the frame and the axle?

FWIW, the Neway has four leveling valves. One at each corner of the rear suspension and will follow the contour of the ground. Maybe it works well because of the size of the air system on the truck. Also, it could depend on the size of the air lines you have going from the leveling valve to the bags and from the tank to the leveling valve. Bigger line, quicker it will respond.

I currently have 1/4" line going from the tank to the leveling valve and from the leveling valve to the bags. I am going to revamp my air system and plumb in 1/2" or 5/8" line. It should react when pulling much faster with the bigger air line.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #106
Jesse M.

Name: Jesse M.
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Would 1 gallon reservoirs be appropriate size, for both front and rear? The bags I got for the rear are similarly sized to DieselWrencher's.
I'm going to put a ball valve between the spring, and the reservoir, to adjust the "dampening". A solenoid valve between the leveling valve and the reservoir to lock the system in different circumstances. I'm going to do this on all four corners, for maximum adjustability, and experimentation.
The leveling valves I got for the rear also have a "dump" feature, I thought might be neat for backing under trailers...that's a lot of valves!
As far as cluttering this thread, it's all good info, not clutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #107
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
I had 1 leveling valve and yes it was mounted on the axle and the arm was attached to the frame. I used 3/8" air line to the valve and 3/8 to each bag. I thought about using GM leveling switches but haven't switched over yet. There just isn't enough time. Haha

And on the neway systems, on tanker trucks we used to take off the 4 valve systems and put 1 on each axle. The drivers had too much inconsistency and a lot of the guys said they almost got into roll over situations due to the air suspension. but that was 15 years ago. Maybe they redesigned the valves since then?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #108
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Would 1 gallon reservoirs be appropriate size, for both front and rear? The bags I got for the rear are similarly sized to DieselWrencher's.
I'm going to put a ball valve between the spring, and the reservoir, to adjust the "dampening". A solenoid valve between the leveling valve and the reservoir to lock the system in different circumstances. I'm going to do this on all four corners, for maximum adjustability, and experimentation.
The leveling valves I got for the rear also have a "dump" feature, I thought might be neat for backing under trailers...that's a lot of valves!
As far as cluttering this thread, it's all good info, not clutter.

The valve I'm using I can dump them both or one or the other. It is awesome for hooking up a trailer. It's awesome for loading and unloading things in the bed of the truck too. My only regret is I didn't do the front too. I'll have to revisit that later.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #109
Jesse M.

Member`s Gallery
I didn’t give up, I just ran out of project money for awhile. I have made some progress, a lot of parts I had accumulated finally made it on the truck. Wheels and tires were the biggest recent addition.
Now, I’m reconsidering my transfer case choice. It’s a big heavy beast that us probably indestructible, but it is creating some challenging driveshaft angles and clearance problems.
I’m seriously considering an NP271. I found a number of NP273 for cheap, but can it be converted into a manual shift? I have not found much info about them, or much in the way of aftermarket support. Does anyone know if they can be run “divorced”?
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #110
2wpuller

Name: 2wpuller
Title: letting the smoke fly
Member`s Gallery
Try Advance adaptors.
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
MCS MidwestPerformanceDiesel
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Old 08-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #111
Jesse M.

Member`s Gallery
I went to the driveshaft shop with pictures of the dilemma. I’m going keep the big t-case, and use a two piece front driveshaft to clear the transmission pan. I came home with the carrier bearing I need, so I could do some measuring and eyeballing. It looks like it will be easier than I expected.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #112
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Looking forward to seeing it around g springs. Take a road trip to middleburg.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #113
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Are you running a pickup bed, or a flatbed? Be badass with a flatbed done right.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #114
Jesse M.

Member`s Gallery
Jason, did you move your shop to the corner of Longhorn?

Old 08-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #115
Jesse M.

Member`s Gallery
I was planning on the pickup box, but I have been admiring it without the bed. I’ll have to set the box back on, and see how it looks.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #116
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Jason, did you move your shop to the corner of Longhorn?

Yes sir, stop by anytime.

Closed Thread