Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Import Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Import Diesel VW TDI, Mercedes, and other Import Diesel Discussion can be found here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #21
STROKETHISF350

Name: STROKETHISF350
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
I hope not to have to go back to the dealer after I get my car deleted. I feel like all the problems will be solved. Plus the last time I was there they really hosed me. I got the Goodwill but before I got them I called to see what a timing belt would cost. They quoted me $900 so I made an appointment. When I showed up with the cards they m said "oh it's really $1,200."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long did your good will package take? I put in for mine 2 weeks ago but haven't gotten anything

06 ram 3500 CCLB dually l 100% fleece injectors l ppe dual fuelers l Hamilton 188/220 l 103# valve springs l ported & oringed head l arp 425s l he 351 over 475 built by me l efi live l fass l full billet 48re built by me

Old 03-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKETHISF350 View Post
How long did your good will package take? I put in for mine 2 weeks ago but haven't gotten anything

We signed up about 3 weeks after they announced it in November and it came in mid-Feb.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKETHISF350 View Post

I signed up shortly after they announced the promotion. I want to say it was like 4-6 weeks before they came in the mail. I think that is what they were advertising at the time and they came right about the time VW said they would.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #24
Howling

Name: Howling
Title: Soot Sniffer
Member`s Gallery
Mine took around four weeks.

2006 Dodge CTD/48re 4x4 Sport
With some fuel and air.
Bullseye,Hamilton,Exergy,EFI,ATS,FASS,HTS,Thuren, Toyo's...

1996 2500 RC 4x4 CTD-63/68/.83,5X.014,180 maxed Ppump,Fass...

Old 03-19-2016, 04:20 AM   #25
Striper

Name: Striper
Title: Wildlife Tormenter
Member`s Gallery
I haven't signed up for it yet. But I am curious, by taking the offer, does it exclude you from any other future offers?

Let’s Go Brandon!!

Old 03-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #26
Howling

Member`s Gallery
No, I'll see if I can find the page from vw

With some fuel and air.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #27
SavageDad

Name: SavageDad
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer View Post
You can do it without a lift, but it's a pain. You can make it go alot easier by slicing the downpipe right after the DPF. then everything pretty much falls out. I can PM pictures of where to cut. I'm running the same buzzken/malone/dsg tune as Eric. Love it at half the price of a Rawtek from fixmyvw.com

I left the resonator and muffler on. Wife doesn't complain so it's very quiet on the inside of the car.
How quiet are we talking? The wife keeps saying she wants her little red wagon to sound more like a big boy diesel and while I've explained that 2 liters of diesel will never sound like 5.9 liters of diesel, she still wants to have a little noise. Personally I've got the resonators deleted off of my Magnum and a set of Flowmaster 10s in place of the center suitcase and while I enjoy the noise, it's nearly impossible to hold a casual conversation at freeway speeds...I want to give her that little extra sound, but I don't want her and my daughter screaming at each other on the way to daycare.

/end threadjack

Old 03-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #28
Howling

Member`s Gallery
Straight pipe into factory muffler, tailpipe. You can hear the exhaust note in the car but nothing horrible. You can easily have a conversation.

With some fuel and air.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #29
SavageDad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling View Post
Straight pipe into factory muffler, tailpipe. You can hear the exhaust note in the car but nothing horrible. You can easily have a conversation.
So basically just dump the resonators? Honestly I have no idea what the exhaust setup on this thing is, I've never bothered to put it up on my ramps.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...

Old 03-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #30
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageDad View Post
So basically just dump the resonators? Honestly I have no idea what the exhaust setup on this thing is, I've never bothered to put it up on my ramps.
If it were only that easy....

On the CRs you have to remove the DPF. Which is right behind the turbo. It has a special bend and there are 2 or 3 sensors that need to be plugged into the exhaust.

Its not as easy as cutting out the resonators and putting a straight piece of pipe in its place.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #31
CookCR

Name: CookCR
Member`s Gallery
My old 2012 was straight piped completely. It sounded great, if you were cruising on the highway is wasn't noisy, but if you punched it you could certainly hear it. The worst tank I got was 46mpg, the best was 51 or 52, all hand calculated. On my fuely app I tracked 8500 miles until I got bored and it has an average of 49.3, but my car was a manual. Before the tune I would say my average was 46-47mpg. When I deleted it I had 20K miles, when I sold the car it had 93K IIRC. Should have purchased another one.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #32
SavageDad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If it were only that easy....

On the CRs you have to remove the DPF. Which is right behind the turbo. It has a special bend and there are 2 or 3 sensors that need to be plugged into the exhaust.

Its not as easy as cutting out the resonators and putting a straight piece of pipe in its place.
Which I'm going to assume would be a bad call in the People's Republic of California where everything and anything is illegal in terms of performance modifications...

Old 03-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #33
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageDad View Post
Which I'm going to assume would be a bad call in the People's Republic of California where everything and anything is illegal in terms of performance modifications...
Correct. You may be able to get away with a straight pipe after the backpressure valve for emissions, but I believe it would still fail visual inspection? I have no idea how CARB enforces it.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #34
SavageDad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer View Post
Correct. You may be able to get away with a straight pipe after the backpressure valve for emissions, but I believe it would still fail visual inspection? I have no idea how CARB enforces it.
Nobody does, I'm fairly certain they just make it up as they go.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:58 AM   #35
peobryant

Name: peobryant
Title: 1st Genner
Member`s Gallery
I went with a full 3 inch straight pipe by BuzzKen and a Malone Stage II tune on my '10 TDI. The car sounds great now, not noticeable at all when you're cruising around but when you give it some throttle you can definitely hear it. There is a ton of turbo whistle at idle too and when deleted you can definitely smell the diesel again but for me that isn't a big deal at all, in fact I enjoy it.

If you'd like I can try to take a video of my car starting up and possibly cruising around so you can hear it.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:11 AM   #36
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by peobryant View Post
I went with a full 3 inch straight pipe by BuzzKen and a Malone Stage II tune on my '10 TDI. The car sounds great now, not noticeable at all when you're cruising around but when you give it some throttle you can definitely hear it. There is a ton of turbo whistle at idle too and when deleted you can definitely smell the diesel again but for me that isn't a big deal at all, in fact I enjoy it.

If you'd like I can try to take a video of my car starting up and possibly cruising around so you can hear it.

Thanks man. I was considering this but like said before concerned with noise. I honestly don't know why I am, the 4" turbo back straight sounded great on my 12 valve. There is no way this TDI is that loud or drones like that did.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #37
peobryant

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks man. I was considering this but like said before concerned with noise. I honestly don't know why I am, the 4" turbo back straight sounded great on my 12 valve. There is no way this TDI is that loud or drones like that did.

Here is the video. It would've been up yesterday but my internet wasn't cooperating, plus my 'ol lady wasn't too thrilled about being a camera man either.

At about 2:38 in the video I do a 2nd and 3rd gear pull with both the driver and passenger windows down and right at 3:00 minutes in I roll both windows up so you can hear it like that.

The sound quality isn't the best because it was shot with my Galaxy S7 Edge, but it is the best I can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0uFS0my_H4

I don't know why it won't embed the video here, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong...

Old 03-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #38
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Here is the video. It would've been up yesterday but my internet wasn't cooperating, plus my 'ol lady wasn't too thrilled about being a camera man either.

At about 2:38 in the video I do a 2nd and 3rd gear pull with both the driver and passenger windows down and right at 3:00 minutes in I roll both windows up so you can hear it like that.

The sound quality isn't the best because it was shot with my Galaxy S7 Edge, but it is the best I can do.

I don't know why it won't embed the video here, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong...

What year is this? Is this a CR or a PD engine?

I think you've sold me! That sounds awesome!

Old 03-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #39
peobryant

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What year is this? Is this a CR or a PD engine?

I think you've sold me! That sounds awesome!
It is a 2010 Common Rail, same engine as your '09.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #40
SavageDad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Lol I know the feeling, that's why since 2014 there are only two videos in existence of the Magnum, I race her off and one, we get a little crazy (the Magnum and I, not the wife) and do a little smoke show on the backroads headed home if they're empty, but she's not about to volunteer for camera duties. She is finally taking an interest in wrenching though

I'll be sure to check it out as soon as I get my first trucks out for the morning, kind of excited to actually hear another CR from somewhere more reliable that YouTube...

Closed Thread