ball joint pressing tool

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
Any suggestions for ball joint pressing tools. I've got two trucks that need the front ends completely rebuilt. I don't want to buy a tool that has to be heavily modified to work.

Bought a cornwell one and bent the clamp the first time in a one ton dmax. They did replace it right away though.

Sent from my recliner but naked eating Cheetos

For how often I need to do ball joints, I just rent the ****ty autozone one.

Use some heat if it's not coming off in only one spot until it's red.

Usually, I take off the wheel, then the caliper, then the four bolts to the back of the hub, hit the rotor with a mallet a couple times, and then have at the ball joints. Took my under two hours last time on my rust bucket.

The OTC kit from Advance Auto is very sturdy. As little as I use one I just rent it and then turn it back in.

Harbor freight kit doesn't work bad, had to cut a couple pieces on the band saw to have enough room to pus them through without bottoming out.

I was worried about breaking the rental unit from auto zone or advance. Also didn't know if the overall size was large enough to handle a 1 ton truck. Both truck I've gotta do are 2wd....are they easier to do then 4x4 trucks?

I was worried about breaking the rental unit from auto zone or advance. Also didn't know if the overall size was large enough to handle a 1 ton truck. Both truck I've gotta do are 2wd....are they easier to do then 4x4 trucks?

I don't think it matters if you break them because they have a lifetime guarantee. Last time I rented one, that's what Awfulzone told me.

2wd is easier IMO. If you will be working on them again, coat the new ones with anti-seize.

A rental and some heat is all you really need. Horrible Freight has a lifetime warranty on all their hand tools if you want to buy one.

I have the Harbor Freight kit and have yet to break it. I think it has done 4 or 5 sets on 3/4 or 1 ton trucks only. I figured for the cost of it, with their warranty I would just return it if I broke it.

If you chose to go with Harbor Freight, check this website for a coupon for it or anything else on their site first. Most stores only need the number from the coupon not the actual coupon.

http://www.hfqpdb.com

I use the Harbor Freight set also. Have done all three of my trucks, my Durango, and some family member's Jeeps. I usually just add a little heat to the knuckle and the balljoints pop right out. Of course I let a friend borrow it once to do a Trailblazer and it came back bent. I smacked it a few times with a sledge and it's back to normal. LOL

The Snapon kit is a beast! I use it often with no issue other than crushing a snap ring now and then...

and they just came out with adapters strictly for 03+ Dodges

We use an OTC at my shop with no problems. We have a pretty high volume of 4x4 trucks and tend to use it quite often.

Back