Anyone know Holset turbos very well?

Timmay

Been doing a project on a car, using a HX35 8 blade wheel

wheels look good, rebuilt it using a holset rebuild kit and switched to a 12cm non gated housing PN #3524123

turbo will not build any boost at all, not even 1psi. there is no leaking oil , no shaft play. No loose IC pipes or anything like that.

Thing im wondering if maybe that 12cm housing is not right for the turbo and not allowing it to work properly.

If anyone has ideas would love to hear them

A12cm housing should spool fine on almost any 4 cyl..
You have a huge exhaust leak, or boost leak somewhere.

A12cm housing should spool fine on almost any 4 cyl..
You have a huge exhaust leak, or boost leak somewhere.

kinda thought that and was first stuff we checked but there are no leaks, to me its almost like that is the wrong housing and its not spinning the turbo correctly or enough.
even with a open downpipe it just doesnt have that turbo spool sound

Waste gate stuck open?

using a tial external, its not opening from what we can tell. can put your hand next to the dump and nothing is coming out

are you trying to spool while parked or in gear under load/driving etc?
they do not spool in neutral,or without antilag etc..

you're sure the exhaust housing is for the size turbine wheel you have? Just a thought

see this is where im not 100% Hytech says its the right part number but honestly i dont know

we have 2 turbos a 7 blade and 8 blade. both have the same 12cm housing, havent tried the 7blade turbo yet its just sittin on the bench right now

im thinking i guess either slap it on or put the gated stock housing back on and see what it does

just trying to get as many ideas as i can

see this is where im not 100% Hytech says its the right part number but honestly i dont know

we have 2 turbos a 7 blade and 8 blade. both have the same 12cm housing, havent tried the 7blade turbo yet its just sittin on the bench right now

im thinking i guess either slap it on or put the gated stock housing back on and see what it does

just trying to get as many ideas as i can

i would check that. because if the housing is too large for the turbine wheel, there will be no drive pressure, no booooooost.

i totally agree and thats what we had thought but called them they said it was right PN so now kinda dont know what to think

i really dont know how to verify its correct

but where do you measure, cause there are alot of variables that i would think come in to play
everywhere i show says its the right exhaust housing

across the fattest part of the turbine wheel, and where that corresponds to in the housing, basically the volute area. should be pretty tight

yea cause im reading of a autometer and off the ECM via 4bar map. just pulled the old turbo kit off that was makign 26lbs

so we changed from cast manifold to equal length
new intercooler from normal style to a backdoor where compressor bolts direct to the ic then it has one charge pipe
new charge pipe, triple checked all couplers

Back