Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #721
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Have you figured out how to get the ECU to produce enough voltage to operate the cat solenoid to its fullest extent?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #722
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Have you figured out how to get the ECU to produce enough voltage to operate the cat solenoid to its fullest extent?
We put close to 100V on them to wake them up and you need some big capacitors to do so but this all is not a big challenge compared to some commonrail injectors this is old school but get it wrong on how to build the injector drivers and it will go bad soon on Hi RPM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #723
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Good to know.

Have you ever dealt with a fuel injection parts company SECURDIESEL, their parent company is VERTEXCEL.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:02 AM   #724
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Good to know.

Have you ever dealt with a fuel injection parts company SECURDIESEL, their parent company is VERTEXCEL.
No. All the stuff we do on injection hardware like nozzle and valves are original produced by OE manufactures or companies that build or modify OE stuff for testing so everything is within tolerances but yes we cannot go wild nozzle hole size, as they will not do this.

Reality is we go with whats on the engines and make the best of it and if we can we recommend or provide injection parts. Now for CAT I maybe find a good lead on camshaft and injectors or nozzle but as so many times before I will be happy if we have these special part in house performing as promised always hoping the door stays open so we can order some more parts but chance is we bay old stock from race teams and if they run out of parts things will get difficult. Also we have less trouble getting latest generation parts of new type engines as they been recent used for testing so that why we like the Euro6 spec engines.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:12 AM   #725
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
A bit of plowing we done on this field last week in order to test for more low end power.
New engine with the new control on the hi pressure fuelpump can hold target pressure so in total we are now 10% up on fuel and still no smoke but making massive low end toque wrecks the drive train in the long run so better give the driver a feeling it’s best to run over 1250Rpm but it will still pullout of a turn @ 1070Rpm. They use the 8 speed ZF 4 gear low range and 4 hi range but only hi range us used off road and 5e and 6e gear get the strongest beating as for using it for the sand dunes.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #726
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
We put close to 100V on them to wake them up and you need some big capacitors to do so but this all is not a big challenge compared to some commonrail injectors this is old school but get it wrong on how to build the injector drivers and it will go bad soon on Hi RPM.
Isn't the OEM Delphi controller running 108V?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 09-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #727
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
No. All the stuff we do on injection hardware like nozzle and valves are original produced by OE manufactures or companies that build or modify OE stuff for testing so everything is within tolerances but yes we cannot go wild nozzle hole size, as they will not do this.

Reality is we go with whats on the engines and make the best of it and if we can we recommend or provide injection parts. Now for CAT I maybe find a good lead on camshaft and injectors or nozzle but as so many times before I will be happy if we have these special part in house performing as promised always hoping the door stays open so we can order some more parts but chance is we bay old stock from race teams and if they run out of parts things will get difficult. Also we have less trouble getting latest generation parts of new type engines as they been recent used for testing so that why we like the Euro6 spec engines.
Reason I asked is because they don't sell to the states and offer multiple aftermarket nozzles that are not regularly available here in the states.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #728
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Isn't the OEM Delphi controller running 108V?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Depends on what system your running. We have seen 40 up to 90V systems from them.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #729
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Reason I asked is because they don't sell to the states and offer multiple aftermarket nozzles that are not regularly available here in the states.
Well tell us what you need maybe I can help just sent me an e-mail but for the most aftermarket nozzle do not offer the stability of OE as for some bay 100 nozzle for VW TDI PD injectors as an example and team them up according to fuel delivery as there a differences in flow rate.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #731
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I recommend enlargening stock nozzles by some quality company using EDM and Extrude Hone. Those "italian" nozzles are made cheaply in China, not very good quality and inconsistent.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #732
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I can use some help with finding a clutch. We need something better and stronger and I had a look @ clutch when I was over in Canada used on CAT C18 for truckpulling. I think it was a 2 or 3 plate version with a OE style pressure plate and the plates had a big diameter as well. For now we use a molinari clutch.
Use what your competitors are using. Made in Holland.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #733
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Another shakedown test. Relative low speed and soft ground/stand hardly getting on top of the soil so a load of power needed to run this track. Lower the intake temp as for more fan speed on the intercooler fan @ lower intake temp. fans speed is controlled by the ECU as well and happy with 750 centigrade EGT as a result of this lower intake temp even running more fuel/power as last year.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #735
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
We had a great race weekend winning every race and also going home with the national truck race championship 2017.

Building a race engine and programming an engine management no problem but getting a race driver to do what you or the team wants is a different story in all But also on that part a load of progress. Finally the driver understand how a modern semi truck race engine works.
The engine is able to make power even under 1000Rpm and will carry max torque up to 1800Rpm as over this RPM the turbo will run out of air and it will drop boost pressure due to this but that’s normal. Trick is not to take the power off the engine as it will drop boost so only one option only use one gear only and still able to power slide @ 1150RPM with 66Kmh but able to control traction or engine power a lot better as for stepping down one gear running 400Rpm more, 1100Hp will hit hard on the escalator peddle, having to lift hard to gain control again drops boost.

For now the engine power is more than the truck can handle out of the corner but hope the team will fix this by changing to stiffer springs as we lift the rear axle cornet out losing traction. Still having o2 left on mid RPM so a bigger commonrail fuelpump will be needed to step up engine performance.

Dutch Truck Racing Finale Races Zandvoort 2017 - YouTube
Old 10-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #736
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Result why we get a lot of blowby or crankcase pressure during the last two races losing power.
A crack in the piston and yes these are steel pistons so there are weak points that why we moved to a other steel pistons construction as for having better support to get the force of the piston better projected on the piston pin.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #737
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Last two days last testing of the Rally Truck.

An almost endless list of things to test from changing a tyre under 7 min to handling the tyre pressure system getting stuck in the mud and able to get the truck out by deflating the tyres.
Same thing for the engine getting the feeling what it can handle with more (low end) torque able to step op a gear gain more speed riding the sand dunes.

Biggest chance to the engine are the pitons. Still all steel but these are better to handle the heat transfer from the piston dome. Other big chance is the way we control the fuelpump pressure and dialling this in is a load of work as there are big changes on how fuel pressure reacts on load and rail pressure variations.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #738
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
For so many year customers has ask me to build a ECU system for the mechanical BOSCH fuelpump with and EDC activator on it. So build my self a dummy fuelpump with only a fuelrack and EDC activator and start programming. So last week was able to test it on the Real thing a Deutz 1015 V8 engine. Next thing maybe start building fuelpumps for tractor pulling?

Also in days work testing a Paccar MX13.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #739
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Result why we get a lot of blowby or crankcase pressure during the last two races losing power.
A crack in the piston and yes these are steel pistons so there are weak points that why we moved to a other steel pistons construction as for having better support to get the force of the piston better projected on the piston pin.

Would laying back the bowl edge on a lathe help with that?
Old 10-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #740
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Would laying back the bowl edge on a lathe help with that?
We have done many pistons like this and never had a problem like this so maybe a bad forcing of this particular one.