Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
Jeffrey Weeks

Name: Jeffrey Weeks
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
47rh swap - Transmission coolers?

No more nv4500. Hello 47rh, let’s talk transmission coolers and hopefully on the affordable side. Is the factory cooler enough for a truck that doesn’t tow (no heat exchanger)? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
If you can get ahold of a factory heat exchanger they work pretty good. If just a daily driver.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
I’d say yes to just the factory cooler being you are not towing and farther north. My heat exchanger is bypassed on my 05, factory cooler only. Temps will creep up around 220*+ when pulling heavy in slow moving traffic, 90* ambient or above, AC on.
Running empty around town or on the highway is no issue. 150-170 is normal.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 12-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
mxhunter147

Name: mxhunter147
Title: Gear Head
Member`s Gallery
If you are using the truck for anything other than driving unloaded on the highway with the converter locked, you’re gonna want more than just the factory fluid to air cooler.
Heat exchanger is a good option but if you can’t get ahold of one of those you need at least one cooler with a fan, like the BD or Derale coolers, or two coolers with fans if you’re gonna be towing or doing any kind of competition with it. This is in addition to the factory air to fluid cooler up on front

10.58 @ 129

Old 12-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Vincejax

Name: Vincejax
Member`s Gallery
I would throw that heat exchanger in the garbage unless you plan on using the truck in a cold environment. It mostly acts like a transmission heater. I deleted all the factory trans cooling and run an 07 ford 6.0L oil cooler up front in front of CAC. Works great, driving, in traffic, or hot lap drag racing my trans never goes about 170. Always between 140-170.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Jeffrey Weeks

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincejax View Post
I would throw that heat exchanger in the garbage unless you plan on using the truck in a cold environment. It mostly acts like a transmission heater. I deleted all the factory trans cooling and run an 07 ford 6.0L oil cooler up front in front of CAC. Works great, driving, in traffic, or hot lap drag racing my trans never goes about 170. Always between 140-170.

Vince can you text me photos of your setup? 704-526-9366

Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Weeks View Post
Vince can you text me photos of your setup? 704-526-9366

Give me until the end of the weekend or so. I'm still getting my new core support built. That ford 6.0 oil cooler is huge and I think it was about $300. I can send you a pic of the cooler itself. Very simple setup. Just ran feed and return right from transmission to cooler and back. Inlet and outlet are on the bottom of the cooler, lines tuck right behind the bumper.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery
What year truck? I have a heat exchanger out of a an 01 Dodge auto. Also have one of the transmission hard lines from exchanger to front mount cooler.

Neither would work in my FMVB 47RE swap on my 97 so they are available if you would like to purchase?

I put in the factory front mounted air cooler and a 94-97 heat exchanger on and it does great getting up to and maintaining good temps on the road. Only gets hot if I try to hot lap it at the drag strip.

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 12-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
Jeffrey Weeks

Member`s Gallery
I got a 6.0 cooler yesterday from a friend. Got to figure out how to mount it with the condenser there.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #10
Jeffrey Weeks

Member`s Gallery
I’m going with a B & M Z Gate shifter, anyone use this?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #11
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Member`s Gallery
Probably the easiest option is to go with 2 derale remote coolers imo, which is what i did for my 48 swap. I made a little bracket to bolt them under my bed, and have a switch to flip the fans on.

Now i can say with this setup there are a few things that need fixed. First is they work borderline too well with converter locked on the highway. Any weather sub 50* the trans will run sub 100* pan temps. second is that it seems to take a real long time to warm up, so I think some sort of temp switch valve like factory uses may be a good idea. Final thing is i want to have the fans turn on automatically when pan temps hit a certain point, because well....im lazy. Hope this helped!

Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwentzler View Post
Probably the easiest option is to go with 2 derale remote coolers imo, which is what i did for my 48 swap. I made a little bracket to bolt them under my bed, and have a switch to flip the fans on.

Now i can say with this setup there are a few things that need fixed. First is they work borderline too well with converter locked on the highway. Any weather sub 50* the trans will run sub 100* pan temps. second is that it seems to take a real long time to warm up, so I think some sort of temp switch valve like factory uses may be a good idea. Final thing is i want to have the fans turn on automatically when pan temps hit a certain point, because well....im lazy. Hope this helped!

That is quite easy to accomplish. Use an existing bung or add one to to the end tank of one of your coolers. Install a temp sender there and wire it inline on your hot fan control wire.

Here is a link to what i am describing. This might not be the temperature you want but they make the identical part in a variety of specs..

Nason TT-F3A-150R/WL Temperature Switch

Old 12-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Weeks View Post
I got a 6.0 cooler yesterday from a friend. Got to figure out how to mount it with the condenser there.

I welded vertical tabs to the oil cooler and bolted it right to to the AC condenser. Later deleted my AC, but at one point I had AC with that cooler.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
That is quite easy to accomplish. Use an existing bung or add one to to the end tank of one of your coolers. Install a temp sender there and wire it inline on your hot fan control wire.

Here is a link to what i am describing. This might not be the temperature you want but they make the identical part in a variety of specs..

Nason TT-F3A-150R/WL Temperature Switch
I actually have one already, but im considering doing it with an arduino. Would give me more control and adjustability.

Closed Thread