Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #901
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
So we done a long a long race weekend on Truck-Grand-Prix Nurburgring getting a load of data from the data logging systems.
Been there supporting A level Race engines used for Fia and A division trucks UK truck racing. In short the engine spec, able to make 1100Hp and around 6000Nm of torque with a max engine displacement of 13L. FIA championship runs 63mm inlet restriction so these will be just over 1000Hp due to this but max torque will be the same so power difference is in top end performance running a inlet restriction.
Engines run around 3Bar boost pressure, no smoke and power comes on @ 1000Rpm and boost so power will come on gently while coming out of a corner on the race track. If max power can be used communing out of a corner upfront taking the corner breaking and applying power to the engine is used to build boost pressure and timing on when to let go of the breaks and apply full power is essential even @ 100Kmh your able to power slide the truck easy. For the most part only last gear is used, only on the slower speed corners a downshift is used mainly to spool the turbo a bit more off power and get some more cornering stability as the backend of the truck pulls you in getter in to the corner so you can call this engine breaking. Out of the corner most will do a up shift as very soon you will lose traction running second hi gear as your hitting 1000Hp with the massive torque out of these engines.

So next ongoing is to write new software optimising torque control and we not yet on the max on fuel on these engines but we know soon we run out of fuel coming up with a bigger commonrail fuelpump.

To get an impression on what European truck racing is like.

Over 2000Bar commonrail injector testing. All in a days work.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #903
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Great weekend semi truck pulling.

1 first place and same day other event second place for the Scania V8 MVJ2.

Also got the Volvo Ny Titan 16L with commonrail injection running again after it lifted the cylinder head on NR1 cylinder damaging both head bots and head gasket due to massive combustion pressure build-up so we lower CR a lot and now running stock injector that give load of fuel as well. Need more boost/air but we have to run a 74mm inlet restriction and still short of 100 degrees C on EGT so seems be cooling the combustion on the last run poring massive black smoke so need to balance fuel and lean it off a bit but makes good power.
We hare hammering in more fuel in a shorter injection duration compared to the pump injector we used before but I want to go to the bigger injectors to even shorten injection duration if we run more RPM.

Almost no smoke 881Kw 5608Nm @ 1500 Rpm calculated on fuel mass stroke.

load of smoke 1179 Kw 7511Nm @ 1500 Rpm calculated on fuel mass stroke but 7000Nm with this AFR and inlet air pressure is more realist.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #904
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
What to call this? Garden puller? Or a mini prostock tractor? It’s fast it European champion and it only has 2L engine displacement and uses a BorgWarner S366SX-E
Old 08-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #905
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
I've always seen them called compact modified diesels. They are really cool though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #906
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
That thing was hauling the mail down the track! I’ve seen several of them run, but none of them get that kind of ground speed
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56
Old 08-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #907
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, the European guys are definitely in the lead with those. I think most of the domestic guys are running older style ag engines, to where as the euro boys are running hoped up VW engines in some that I've read about?

Old 08-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #908
mfsuper90

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
Yeah, the European guys are definitely in the lead with those. I think most of the domestic guys are running older style ag engines, to where as the euro boys are running hoped up VW engines in some that I've read about?

My buddy use to have one with a 3 cylinder yanmr, not sure what size charger. He was one of the first to build one, he ended up selling it because there was no where local to pull it. And the alky garden tractor guys got butthurt that he whooped them. Went to Texas
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56
Old 08-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #909
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsuper90 View Post
My buddy use to have one with a 3 cylinder yanmr, not sure what size charger. He was one of the first to build one, he ended up selling it because there was no where local to pull it. And the alky garden tractor guys got butthurt that he whooped them. Went to Texas
Yeah, I remember there being a couple somewhat local. I talked to a guy with a deere with flames on it. I was thinking they'd be really cheap, thought I could pull a whole fleet of them! Until he said what he had in his, I'll stick to pulling worn out antique tractors when I can!

Old 08-08-2019, 05:56 AM   #910
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
This one run a VW 2L TDI and yes they run these on the edge. Need a load of work to keep them fit but original parts like bearings do not cost a lot but you need to chance them in time for example.
Speed governor on the injection pump is taken out so sort of free revving to spool the turbo.
Think they run these between 8,5 an 6 K RPM and some say they run more.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #911
mfsuper90

Member`s Gallery
Is a Mercedes om606 to large to fit in the compacts?
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56
Old 08-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #912
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
I’m not sure if the engine is to big in displacement or weight. I think both as so many parts are made from alloy to save weight. Length will be a challenge as well so do not know of a team running a 6 cyl in this class.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #913
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
I’m not sure if the engine is to big in displacement or weight. I think both as so many parts are made from alloy to save weight. Length will be a challenge as well so do not know of a team running a 6 cyl in this class.
6 cylinders are not allowed, max 4 cylinders, 2,5 liters , in Europe mechanical fuel system but in Finland also electronic allowed. Dont know if 4 valve allowed in Europe but in Finland yes.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #914
mfsuper90

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
6 cylinders are not allowed, max 4 cylinders, 2,5 liters , in Europe mechanical fuel system but in Finland also electronic allowed. Dont know if 4 valve allowed in Europe but in Finland yes.
That makes sense. So they could use a om604, I think it could probably be competitive with the VW, if weight wasn’t an issue.
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56
Old 08-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #915
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsuper90 View Post
That makes sense. So they could use a om604, I think it could probably be competitive with the VW, if weight wasn’t an issue.
Dont know if prechamber engine can make same power ? VW engines are used mostly because they are cheap. There has been some PSA engines also, I think they are much better than VW.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:55 AM   #916
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Volvo van Dijk Ny Titan final run 1st place.

Do think we have made history this evening by winning with a pulling truck with a common rail engine.

In the pulloff we puller more than 8 more than our compeditors so very nice result but still not happy as there is more power in there.

Euro6 common rail is pure efficiency and despite the fact that we already inject more fuel than ever before and with that we have more torque but I have less energy in the exhaust gasses because that big bang due to the combustion in the cylinder ends up on the crankshaft and the combustion is already finished before the exhaust valve opens, but this we know with these engines so adjust turbo-setup on the exhaust side because I still missing 0.6Bar boost pressure and with that also some extra oxygen to be able to burn even more fuel. Step by step searching where the power is. Can simply change all values in the engine management, control box does just what is required and therefore nice and stable.
Still running stock injectore and we have bigger in stock but like to test them as it looks some got a diviation in fuel delivery and that’s OK as long as we know the diference so we can dail them in the the ECU for same fuel delivery.

Looks like we hit the limit on our V8 enge as it broke the crank in two. Did know the crank was beding to far so not the qwestion it will happen but when will it happen as we where slowly craking up power. We have all the parts in house to build something stronger only qwestion dos the team want to shift to a newer generation V8 engine?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #917
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
New engine up and running after last weekend when the crank broke.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 AM   #918
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Hoogblokland, 16 augustus MVJ2. 18.4L engine but after the first pull we had to stop as something is not OK with this engine.

Scania V8 hotrod
Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #919
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Always nice to have two of the Truck Race projects on the highest step of the podium after a long race weekend on the Belgian circuit of Zolder.

Rennabteilung der Heinrich Hecker KG has done a new race truck with a major conversion but still same engine build by us, always exciting the see the first time on track, but soon the fastest laps times came over the speakers so yes things work well.
Engine power in combination with this truck makes a better combination, but still a challenge to get the enormous torque of these truck race engines on the tarmac.

Rainbow Warrior Truck Racing. A lot of testing done with this Scania race engine last weekend and we now have the data from ECU and AIM datalogger a clear picture of what is needed to get even more torque from this engine, the thing is we still have oxygen left to burn so I can take more diesel, but the high-pressure fuel pump cannot supply enough to further increase the torque and therefore power. Still believe that the 12.7L Scania XPI engine is going to be one of the best racing engines, partly due to a very high efficiency and an engine construction that can handle high power reliably and can be assembled with standard parts.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #920
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Love these videos! Keep em coning!
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."