Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
97rada

Name: 97rada
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Tcase linkage

I figured you guys would have more knowledge on the subject over here in sled pulling section. I put an aluminum front drive shaft in my truck and the tcase linkage no longer clears the shaft. I was wondering if I could weld a rod to the tcase and just shift right off it. Mark the floor where it needs to be for 4wd and 2wd and rock on. Anyone see a problem with this ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
YoungDiesel27

Name: YoungDiesel27
Title: Never Enough Time
Member`s Gallery
I have never done that, but don't see why it would be an issue considering they are relatively easy to shift.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDiesel27 View Post
I have never done that, but don't see why it would be an issue considering they are relatively easy to shift.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Figured the detent in the tcase would hold it in gear just fine

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Pudge

Name: Pudge
Member`s Gallery
Just my thinking, but a lever straight to the case from the cab would have a really long throw, long enough that you probably can't access all the ranges.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
Just my thinking, but a lever straight to the case from the cab would have a really long throw, long enough that you probably can't access all the ranges.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Realistically in my truck being 90% drag duty with a 10 point cage I am not that worried about low range. As long as I can get 2wd and 4wd I am golden. I am not afraid of other alternatives if you have them though. Would love something clean

Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Do you have a picture of the interference. I was able to run a ujoint shield on a 94-97 style linkage, the ujoint shield cleared a 1410 ujoint. One suggestion might be try the 98+ linkage remember that the shift pattern is different.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Do you have a picture of the interference. I was able to run a ujoint shield on a 94-97 style linkage, the ujoint shield cleared a 1410 ujoint. One suggestion might be try the 98+ linkage remember that the shift pattern is different.

I will try getting one this week sometime. Is there a way to externally tell what patter the case is? I swapped to a dhd one piece rear housing from a dld and havnt lifted the truck to tell what the pattern is yet. Also can you mount the 98+ on be older ones?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #8
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
You should be able to tell the pattern, by just shifting it and rotation of the input shaft and seeing if the front is locked, and if the number of rotations. The 98+ shifters are body mounted, the 97- are mounted to the tcase. It might take a little work, I forget what the openings on the two look like.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
double check, but I think the sidestep in the pattern is just so people don't accidentally move where they don't want to (most people only use 2WD and 4WH). If it doesn't matter, you could put a cable on it and notch s lever in cab to pull it (push back with a spring).

Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
double check, but I think the sidestep in the pattern is just so people don't accidentally move where they don't want to (most people only use 2WD and 4WH). If it doesn't matter, you could put a cable on it and notch s lever in cab to pull it (push back with a spring).

I wasn't referring to the side step. The pattern is acutally different. I believe on the 97- 2wd is all the way forward, and on the 98+ 4wh is all the way back.

I have used a 98 tcase on a 97 linkage without issues, just had to remember it was not as marked. I am thinking it actually was better as 4wL was all the way forward out of the way.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I wasn't referring to the side step. The pattern is acutally different. I believe on the 97- 2wd is all the way forward, and on the 98+ 4wh is all the way back.

I have used a 98 tcase on a 97 linkage without issues, just had to remember it was not as marked. I am thinking it actually was better as 4wL was all the way forward out of the way.
ohhhh
Yeah, you're right. I remember when I switched from my 98 to my 97 it took me some time getting used to.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You should be able to tell the pattern, by just shifting it and rotation of the input shaft and seeing if the front is locked, and if the number of rotations. The 98+ shifters are body mounted, the 97- are mounted to the tcase. It might take a little work, I forget what the openings on the two look like.

I didn't mark it when I had the case out of the truck for the shaft swap. Was my fault. Need to finish the brakes to start it and see what it does. Going to try tweeting the stock linkage this week to see if I can't make something work. Then check the pattern and go from there

Closed Thread