Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance > P-Pump 24Valve
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
RonA

Name: RonA
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledPuller21 View Post
I would like to hear your reasoning as to why a 6.7 isn't a high rpm engine? We turn them harder than 5.9s. Also a properly tuned p-pumped will drive with good street manners, piss poor tuning and setups give p-pumps a bad name for street driving.
So p-pumps have to be tuned? I thought you just put in laser cuts, gutted the AFC and tightened up the gov springs till they bottomed out.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #22
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
So p-pumps have to be tuned? I thought you just put in laser cuts, gutted the AFC and tightened up the gov springs till they bottomed out.
. You forgot to pull & pitch the stop plate. Other than that Ron, you're spot on.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #23
RonA

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
. You forgot to pull & pitch the stop plate. Other than that Ron, you're spot on.
Hopefully Freezing systems is taking notes.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #24
RonA

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
Just curious, what is your reasoning ?
I'd be willing to bet that a 6.7 common rail will make better power and run cleaner that a p-pumped 6.7. It's hard to beat the ability to control timing as rpm goes up. It takes several trips to the pump shop to make a high performance(13mm) pump work correctly on the street. First trip gets you HP, but it will need a second trip to get the fuel right for idle and still have rpm. Kevin told me he could give me both once I had a baseline, but I got tired of it before I got a chance to send it back.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #25
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
The more I mess with these trucks the more I want a common rail. Hate the cost that is associated with the parts though

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #26
Exodus

Name: Exodus
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
The more I mess with these trucks the more I want a common rail. Hate the cost that is associated with the parts though
That's why I've gone back to p pumps. CR parts are crazy money. Also, the mechanical reliability of the P is unbeatable.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #27
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
That's why I've gone back to p pumps. CR parts are crazy money. Also, the mechanical reliability of the P is unbeatable.

I will finish my ppump motor but it's really hard to see all these common rail motors making the power they do so easily

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #28
RonA

Member`s Gallery
I love p-pumps. There simplicity and lack of electronic high dollar widgits makes them desirable for me. Because they work even if things aren't quite right' it can make a p-pump conversion problematic though. Setting up injectors properly on a p-pumped 24V yields nice gains in power and street manners. Most don't do it because it's tedious. Weston knows way more than he shares openly about this subject. But don't go calling him and telling him I said so. I'd like to stay on his good side.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #29
12valve

Name: 12valve
Title: Diesel Boy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
I love p-pumps. There simplicity and lack of electronic high dollar widgits makes them desirable for me. Because they work even if things aren't quite right' it can make a p-pump conversion problematic though. Setting up injectors properly on a p-pumped 24V yields nice gains in power and street manners. Most don't do it because it's tedious. Weston knows way more than he shares openly about this subject. But don't go calling him and telling him I said so. I'd like to stay on his good side.
Thanks, so going to get them with weston.

its not like this is gonna be a daily driver. this is a 70s Ford, lowered, shortbed with plastic windows, fiber body. slicks, race truck only. electronics could have been a pain to set up. so after simplicity.

Got a vp head and ordering stocks from weston,
Valve springs should i order Hamilton $400 or DAP from jkidd $279

Old 10-25-2016, 04:30 AM   #30
Cumminpwr11

Name: Cumminpwr11
Title: Suffers from Black Lung
Member`s Gallery
So I have a 97 12v 5spd. I have a complete VP head sitting on a shelf, and access to a 6.7 long block for 1k. I understand porting my 12v head is the easiest way, but will all these parts, its hard not to think about a p-pump 24v, or 6.7.

2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 SCT Livewire
1997 Ram 3500 Crewcab NV4500 4"TBE S300 62/65/12
2006 Jetta TDI(bad cam)
1936 Chevy Pickup project....4bt coming soon

Old 10-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #31
pick017

Name: pick017
Title: ohio sled puller
Member`s Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminpwr11 View Post
So I have a 97 12v 5spd. I have a complete VP head sitting on a shelf, and access to a 6.7 long block for 1k. I understand porting my 12v head is the easiest way, but will all these parts, its hard not to think about a p-pump 24v, or 6.7.
If you don't buy it can you post up the info on the 6.7?

Old 10-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #32
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pick017 View Post
If you don't buy it can you post up the info on the 6.7?
You won't like the shipping costs.
That's what gets me every time.

Mark.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #33
pick017

Name: pick017
Title: ohio sled puller
Member`s Gallery
I know what does a guy have to do to find a short block for a decent price?

Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #34
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Maybe look in the right places and get lucky?
Much of what I have I paid at least (sometimes more) a grand for, myself, plus I had to drive hours to get it, then I have to tear it down to be sure it's good enough to call a rebuildable core.

This is why I sell a short block for $1500.

Mark.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #35
cumins01

Name: cumins01
Member`s Gallery
Mark, my 6.7 turned out to be shady. Do you have a 6.7 short block with no fire history? What do you consider a short block? I know some ppl have different opinions on what should come on a short block.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #36
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
DO NOT BE SCARED OF BURNS!
I, personally, have never had a problem arise from one and noone I have sold them to has EVER complained of a problem!

I do have a unburned complete (timing case, cover, oil seal retainer and filter housing included) 6.7 short block.
My short blocks are the basics, block crank, rods, pistons and (usually) a cam with lifters.
I don't typically guarantee an oil cooler/housing or a timing case/cover or oil pan to be there (usually damaged during handling by other people), but they are on this one I mentioned.

Typically I strip off all of the non-essentials, such as broken/burned parts, sensors, covers, etc.

Mark.

Last edited by Mark Nixon; 10-25-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #37
cumins01

Name: cumins01
Member`s Gallery
Needs a pan (if damaged I will get another one no problem), filter housing, rear seal retainer, at not sure on anything else I will have to ask my engine builder. Shipping to 45241? Work zip code since there is a dock and forklift. I know you said you were heading east. I am a hour north of Cincinnati Ohio. How are you coming?

Old 10-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #38
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
PMed you.

Mark.

Closed Thread