Ported Heads

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
I have seen first hand a ported stage 2 cylinder head from one of the big shops. I was surprised with the results I spied, when examining this head.
It appeared as if the porter just went in there and knocked the casting smooth and did minimal port work.:aiwebs_029:

This left me wondering... What could someone do with a head in a racing only application? ? ?

I have been tinkering with a cylinder head and the ports I'm leaving behind are pretty dang exciting to look at! LOL LOL

Just wondering - does anyone still run a stocker virgin head in a racing application? Untouched in the ports is what I mean...... It could be O-ringed, my concern is the ports and bowl area.

I'll bet the boost numbers are high in that type of application.:ugh:

Again I am referring to RACE ONLY applications. . . . .

Street applications warrant a entirely different approach on port work, there's coolant passages that must be avoided on weakening the walls that separate the port from the coolant passages in the structure of the head.

It'll be interesting to see how this head performs......
:evil :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil

LOL

it's going on my white reg cab short bed. and yes it is a street truck, i want to run it at the track. and when they say no more because it doesn't have a cage i will consider it done.

Attachments

• DSCN4493.JPG
    DSCN4493.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 57
gunracer1 said:
it's going on my white reg cab short bed. and yes it is a street truck, i want to run it at the track. and when they say no more because it doesn't have a cage i will consider it done.

That's a cool truck.

Timbeaux38 said:
That truck is so badass man..

That truck is super sweet......... Gun, did you ever work out that fuel issue?

I'd still like to hear feedback and opinions on racing only ports........:bang

:rockwoot: :rockwoot: There is so much to be gained in these ports it's not even funny, Think about the less restriction in the head which equates into lower max boost numbers. Think about the less strain there is on the head gasket.........:ylsuper: :ylsuper:

:woohoo:

Timbeaux38 said:
He is seroius Jeff, Scott makes 662CI out of 2 Cylinders

We spoke briefly about the puller- Model A :1tooth: :1tooth:

I know he is serious.:dead-horse-fast2: LOL LOL LOL :evil

i really think that less boost won't help the head gasket when comparing a port job. i mean we are trying to get the most pounds of air in a cylinder that we can. a ported head may let in 5# at 50 psi where a unported head might let in 5#s at 75 psi. the peak pressures should be the same.

Not to start a war or flame anyone,but if it take X amount of air in the cylinder to make say 800 horse,shouldn't the pressure in the cylinder be the same at that power ,no matter what the boost gauge reads???? I mean boost is only what the engine can't take right??

I am curious as to what difference it makes as far as a race only and street driven/race application? Are there driveability issues here?

Diesel Nut said:
I am curious as to what difference it makes as far as a race only and street driven/race application? Are there driveability issues here?
Yes cracking from removing material, Racing ports alot of material is removed, street ports are blended, not as much material is removed....

RacinDuallie said:
I have seen first hand a ported stage 2 cylinder head from one of the big shops. I was surprised with the results I spied, when examining this head.
It appeared as if the porter just went in there and knocked the casting smooth and did minimal port work.:aiwebs_029:

This left me wondering... What could someone do with a head in a racing only application? ? ?

I have been tinkering with a cylinder head and the ports I'm leaving behind are pretty dang exciting to look at! LOL LOL

Just wondering - does anyone still run a stocker virgin head in a racing application? Untouched in the ports is what I mean...... It could be O-ringed, my concern is the ports and bowl area.

I'll bet the boost numbers are high in that type of application.:ugh:

Again I am referring to RACE ONLY applications. . . . .

Street applications warrant a entirely different approach on port work, there's coolant passages that must be avoided on weakening the walls that separate the port from the coolant passages in the structure of the head.

It'll be interesting to see how this head performs......
:evil :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil

LOL

2 v head, Swirl removal/plug cut chambers w/ a smasail bit then smooth is where you gain from. The rest is wasted labor hrs....:rules:

Back