SXE Turbo Dyno Testing

Word. Yet now seems like every time I talk to some hillbilly from Wisco I find out they ran and loved the box 66.... Funny how that works.

Can someone explain why such a focus on the 68mm turbine? Its the same old wheel as the s300sx. The whole sxe300 frame benefits around in the design of the 80/74 turbine. Obviously the turbos map grooves and race cover lead to gains aswell.

We're testing and testing, the bigger turbine runs are coming. I will say this, we typically recommend the smaller 68 turbine to customers that want good street manners because spool up is important to most end users. The bigger heavier 73/80 turbine comes on slower due to sheer size and mass/weight. I'm not talking about a roll-on test from 20 psi boost to max boost, I'm talking about starting at a dead stop at a stop light and hitting the go pedal and how long it takes to get use-able boost.

I will say this, the new ball bearing turbo, and our new towing twin/compound turbo kit is a blast to drive compared to any single SXE turbo we've tried. Our 5700' elevation exposes weak spooling turbos much more than flat-lander turbo tests. If it spools well here, it's a rocket at sea level!

Last edited:
Which ball bearing turbo are you referring to?

It's a new Garrett 62mm ball bearing charger that we've been working on developing a drop-in install kit for Dodge Cummins Trucks.

bb2-510x600.png

It's not a cheap turbo setup by any means, but it's a blast to drive on the street up here in the thin air....

It's a new Garrett 62mm ball bearing charger that we've been working on developing a drop-in install kit for Dodge Cummins Trucks.

My understanding is a lot of companies were starting to move away from ball bearing in diesels due to durability issues. Have you guys had good luck with these?

bb2-510x600.png

It's not a cheap turbo setup by any means, but it's a blast to drive on the street up here in the thin air....

Gt37 frame?

I'm starting to question the gt35, 37, 40r durability. I'll say that they run great when they are not chewing wheels. Seems like the gt42r mentality didn't make it into the smaller frames.

Garrett's main market is not diesel applications, therefore some combinations or complete frame sizes tend to be not well suited for such. On the other hand some are great, this is where experience plays a large role in deciding what to make use of. To be honest you could say the same for Borg Warner, some designs will certainly work better in diesel specific applications.

Right on. When they are sized adequately each work well. Seems the durability issues stem from Garret's not liking getting pushed as hard as what we're used to on the Borg's? How often are Garret failures occurring within rated shaft speeds or PR's?

Last edited:
Right on. When they are sized adequately each work well. Seems the durability issues stem from Garret's not liking getting pushed as hard as what we're used to on the Borg's? How often are Garret failures occurring within rated shaft speeds or PR's?

I've went through 2 gt3788r's, 3782r, 4094r, 3794r, and a gtx4088r(kts 11blade) since 2007. Never exceeded 45psi. Buddy recently puked a t-wheel on his gtx35r. I handled countless chra exchanges on 37s when I worked at a Garrett distributor. They are the best street turbo I've ever run for low power and driveability, but don't seem to make it in the long haul.

How often are Garret failures occurring within rated shaft speeds or PR's?

How many turbochargers can sustain the shaft speed or pressure ratio GT42's see in a Super Farm application? I promise you there is no journal bearing S400 that will survive under those conditions.

I've went through 2 gt3788r's, 3782r, 4094r, 3794r, and a gtx4088r(kts 11blade) since 2007. Never exceeded 45psi. Buddy recently puked a t-wheel on his gtx35r. I handled countless chra exchanges on 37s when I worked at a Garrett distributor. They are the best street turbo I've ever run for low power and driveability, but don't seem to make it in the long haul.

What failed on the 4094r? I am using one in my compounds.
Seems like Ron has good luck with his

Last edited:
Bearings. Pulled the comp into the housing. Also turbine housing cracked pretty badly. You'd think it was abused by the look of it.

Well theres 2 completely opposite ends of the spectrum of opinion in 3 hours. haha

Actually Adam and I agree, read the last sentence again.

I'm starting to question the gt35, 37, 40r durability. I'll say that they run great when they are not chewing wheels. Seems like the gt42r mentality didn't make it into the smaller frames.

In my opinion there are other issues associated with the GT40 and smaller ball bearing units being used in diesel applications. Both journal bearing and ball bearing systems have their advantages and drawbacks.

Back