Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.7 Scorpion
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
High Mileage Reliability?

Hey guys,

I'm tossing around the idea of picking up a 150k-200k mile 6.7 as a new tow truck. It looks like they're going for low $20k's which makes them really tempting, since the dodges seem to be $5-10k more and the 68rfe can be pricey to fix or improve on compared to the 6r140.

I was thinking of a 2012 and just doing deletes and slight tune (be around 450-500hp). Stock turbo, longblock, transmission, suspension, and fueling. Replace the turbo with the newer style if it fails.

At 200k-300k what things typically go besides normal stuff like u-joints, seals, tie rods, etc...

Thanks

Old 08-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Watching.....

Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
RDPsmoker

Name: RDPsmoker
Title: OUT TO LUNCH..
Member`s Gallery
Also in for any good info.
-DPC
-SUNCOAST
03 3500
-Stock for now

Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
Dallas @ HSM

Name: Dallas @ HSM
Title: Rookie Monster
Member`s Gallery
With the exception of the turbo issue already noted, these trucks seem to just keep on going. The only two super common issues are the turbos on the 11-14's and the plastic intercooler pipe we make the fix for. Other than that, I'm not seeing any major patterns with the high mileage 6.7's.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas @ HSM View Post
With the exception of the turbo issue already noted, these trucks seem to just keep on going. The only two super common issues are the turbos on the 11-14's and the plastic intercooler pipe we make the fix for. Other than that, I'm not seeing any major patterns with the high mileage 6.7's.
That's what I like to hear.
I've heard about many people replacing the plastic intercooler pipe.

I've been looking for a decent 4th gen and then I noticed how cheap these are going for and it blew my mind! I think this might be my first Ford truck.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Nor'Easter

Name: Nor'Easter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Any variances between deleted trucks and not?
2014 Regular Cab G56

Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Dallas @ HSM

Name: Dallas @ HSM
Title: Rookie Monster
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Easter View Post
Any variances between deleted trucks and not?
It's all going to depend on the guy behind the wheel.

I can tell you right now that running exhaust through your intake is not a great way to make a truck reliable. Most of the "free flowing" trucks tend to go a long time without any issues. It's the ones that have had crap running through them their whole life that seem to be the most problematic.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I can tell you right now that running exhaust through your intake is not a great way to make a truck reliable. Most of the "free flowing" trucks tend to go a long time without any issues. It's the ones that have had crap running through them their whole life that seem to be the most problematic.
Any idea on how many miles they seem to run with all of that before having multiple issues related to it?
And what happens? Glazed cylinder walls, carbon buildup, injector nozzles?

Old 08-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
High Mileage Reliability?

Friend is the sales manager at a local dealer. They have replaced a few engines under warranty but only in the F550's and they were all because of dropped valves. The only other one they have done was an F350 that the owner never changed the oil. Looked like glue when they drained it. In 115k miles I've had one o ring failure on turbo coolant line. Friend has same truck and that has been the only repair in 130k. Both are "free flowing."

On the engines that were replaced under warranty both were no questions asked. They called ford and complete new engines showed up in a few days.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 08-25-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
Nor'Easter

Name: Nor'Easter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Of course, but odds of finding a 150-200 thousand mile truck thats been deleted at day one and not abused is pretty slim. Reality is that the available inventory is going to be stock trucks driven by a 40 year old to work and to camp.

That's why I asked.
2014 Regular Cab G56

Old 09-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
patriot2500

Name: patriot2500
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I've only got 64k on mine, been deleted since 46k. I can say that the issues I had with the truck happened prior to deleting and I've only had a small issue recently with the tuner. Truck has been flawless. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older truck, delete and enjoy.

'13 F350 CC/LB 6.7

'06 FLHRCI

Big Time Kustomz

Old 09-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #12
NEVRNF

Name: NEVRNF
Member`s Gallery
I am in the hunt for something along the lines of the OP also. There are a lot of Hauler trucks out there that have been used to pull campers and such. A Carfax gives you some insight what kind of issues it has had and who to call about the vehicle. Most dealers and repair shops will tell you about what was done when it was in. I have seen a few with almost no warranty claims in the 1st 100k and to me that says a lot about the quality.
02 Ford Excursion 03 5.9 CR conversion, F1 cam, springs & stg II sticks, ATS Dual Cp3, Floor it pump kit, Air Dog, Garrett stg3 from Turbo Re-Source, BTS trans, Destroked Adapters, PCS Trans Controller, Hypermax Intercooler,EFI Live by Cummins Tuner, 8 lift and 38" tires

Old 09-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
superdutypowerd

Name: superdutypowerd
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Doesn't really help much on what fails or doesn't. But I saw a late ford with over 800k on original engine an trans. Seemed far fetched when I first seen it, but there it was.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRNF View Post
I am in the hunt for something along the lines of the OP also. There are a lot of Hauler trucks out there that have been used to pull campers and such. A Carfax gives you some insight what kind of issues it has had and who to call about the vehicle. Most dealers and repair shops will tell you about what was done when it was in. I have seen a few with almost no warranty claims in the 1st 100k and to me that says a lot about the quality.

Carfax has Phuked more people than Jenna Jameson. Those reports only show what dealers or insurance companies claim. After a hurricane there are no shortage of flooded vehicles that get dried out and traded off. Wrecks that get fixed for cash just to keep it off the record. I wouldn't put much trust into those reports.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #15
9 LIVES

Name: 9 LIVES
Title: Demolition Expert
Member`s Gallery
I've noticed quite a few 6.7's locally that are smoking like a SOB. Idle haze and a thick haze while driving. You can tell by listening to them as you pass that something isn't right. Is this usually a bad injector? 99% of the time it's the guys hauling wedge trailers with cars on them.

Heads I win, tails you lose....
-Lee-

Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #16
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 LIVES View Post
I've noticed quite a few 6.7's locally that are smoking like a SOB. Idle haze and a thick haze while driving. You can tell by listening to them as you pass that something isn't right. Is this usually a bad injector? 99% of the time it's the guys hauling wedge trailers with cars on them.
Hopefully that's the case and not rockers again...

If it's injectors, I'm guessing a better fuel filter would fix 99% of the issues.

I broke it to my wife that we're not getting rid of the 12V when I finally grab a ~2012 6.7. She took it pretty well. She said "Good, then you don't have any reason for this to turn into a project vehicle!" ha ha
She knows it'll get deleted and under-body sprayed at a minimum.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #17
NEVRNF

Member`s Gallery
I have officially joined the 6.7 club. 2011 F350 CCLB Lariat already has been on a diet. This time next week I will be on my way home with it from down south.
02 Ford Excursion 03 5.9 CR conversion, F1 cam, springs & stg II sticks, ATS Dual Cp3, Floor it pump kit, Air Dog, Garrett stg3 from Turbo Re-Source, BTS trans, Destroked Adapters, PCS Trans Controller, Hypermax Intercooler,EFI Live by Cummins Tuner, 8 lift and 38" tires

Last edited by NEVRNF; 10-01-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #18
Howling

Name: Howling
Title: Soot Sniffer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRNF View Post
I have officially joined the 6.7 club. 2011 F350 CCLB Lariat already has been on a diet. This time next week I will be on my way home with it from down south.
Sounds nice Tony

2006 Dodge CTD/48re 4x4 Sport
With some fuel and air.
Bullseye,Hamilton,Exergy,EFI,ATS,FASS,HTS,Thuren, Toyo's...

1996 2500 RC 4x4 CTD-63/68/.83,5X.014,180 maxed Ppump,Fass...

Old 10-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #19
NEVRNF

Member`s Gallery
Thanks Eric, I am excited to have a pickup again. Might be time to put the Excursion up for sale again.

Closed Thread