Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
rjustman

Name: rjustman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
high egt low boost problem

i have a early 2004 commonrail running 06 electronics and a 6.7rail, lines and intake. motor is in a 2006 f250 and has a banks intercooler, 3.5" intercooler piping
Turbo: borg SXE 63/68/.70 gated
injectors: brand new S&S 100hp
Tuning: efi by Les @ silver bullet
gearing: 4.30 with stockish tires

not the everyday setup in a dodge truck but was hoping someone could help me out in trying to figure out what's going on. im struggling to get over 25psi boost, and my EGTs get to 1400 fairly easy and really fast. when im towing its even worse. I've sent data logs, I've checked for boost leaks( actually just got truck from shop having them replace an intake gasket and check for leaks also to double click me) no boost leaks. im getting ready to pick up a non gated 14cm turbine housing to see if this helps me out. im heading out on a camping trip and will be running long grades of 6% or better for miles at a time. truck has a stock exhaust manifold which I plan on changing as soon as I can, but for now I was just planning on tossing on the 14cm housing and see what happens.

its been a while since I've spoken to the tuner, its been a long time since I've sent logs also, I don't want this to turn into me bashing anyone I just wanted to give specifics of my build to anyone who might be able to help. with that said. I was told data logs look great and nothing is showing up that would throw up a red flag, rail pressure, boost, everything looks normal.

I have just been kind of babying the truck and making due, I don't really drive it a whole lot until here lately since I got the new trailer and have been doing a lot of yard work and hauling material to the house. but now that I have been driving it and working it, its kind of a pain in the a$$ to have to be so careful and not just be able to drive it. how can I get my EGTs down? are the boost numbers bad? are they lower than should be expected?

Anyone else have any input of what could be going on or maybe something I can look into. id really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Richard

Old 10-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
Yotadzl

Name: Yotadzl
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Is this thing smoking a lot? And have you tried running without a tune (if you can)? Have you double checked boost with another gauge? And what kind of RPM are you running when the EGTs are hot?

'85 Yota Crawler-2l diesel, custom built VE (by me), custom T25 turbo. Slow but fun!
'95 Cummins grampa truck, embarrassingly stock
'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 10-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
zero smoke out the tailpipe, I went to stock, ive used the 12v tune, the lowest street tune.. I have not put truck on anything higher than the street tune since ive had it. ive checked boost with another gauge and compared to gauge in the dash, no real difference to speak of. egts are hot all the time.. I run 4.30 gears so im spinning 2500RPM at 75mph, when im just cruising truck is fine. pulling 24000-26000 pounds on flat ground im running about 1100 on pyro.i don't know if that's bad or not. if im around 1600 RPM and go to get some more speed and just roll into throttle, it gets to 1200 like right now right now. and doesn't come down until im at cruising speed and can let off.

im going to try a bigger exhaust housing and see what happens, I also have another pyro im going to swap in as well as a manual boost gauge that uses a piece of tubing plumbed into it.

on the exhaust housing topic, should I get a 14cm gated or non gated? price difference is substantial. 220 for a non gated and 450 for a gated. from AGP, they are local to me.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:54 PM   #4
Sanger

Name: Sanger
Member`s Gallery
On the setup you have now, is the gate a spring gate or boost reference gate?
Do you know at what boost level it starts to open?

Old 10-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #5
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
its a boost reference gate. turbo builder said it was set to 20 or 30 psi they use 2 different types of gates. when I asked about this, his response was that regardless of what gate I had I should be able to make 40psi no sweat. that a stock cummins should have enough energy to push right on pass the gate, regardless of the pucks are open or not.. so since that conversation I tightened the gate, preloaded it, as far as I could, with zero change in how it acts.
I do not know when it starts to open, ive tried to watch it on the truck but when im alone I don't have enough arms to hold the air line and get up in there to watch it.. stupid I know but I don't have the tools as of right now to do it correctly.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:45 AM   #6
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
I know this seems fairly obvious and usually not the case. Are there any rags left in the intake track from maintenance? From air filter to intake shelf on the head, all clear?

Just asking because I know a knuckle head that’s done this.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 10-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
funny you say that. because when I first started this motor it was really really smokey and would take any kind of throttle input. and that was the case. there was a sock stuck in the intake horn from the guy I bought the motor from. theres was also tape covering the hole in which I removed and reached in but didn't find anything else in there.

ive put about 2000 miles on this truck, this problem didn't start happening until I put the injectors and turbo on and had it tuned. I did injectors first and she was pretty hot which I kinda figured it would be with the stock he341, it got a little better with the trubo but its never ran cool in any kind of load or in any kind of moderate to heavier throttle..

I also just had the intake plate off to fix a small boost leak that I found in the gasket.. nothing was left behind during that install.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Sanger

Name: Sanger
Member`s Gallery
Will it run better on a different tune? The 12v tune I have ran only makes 20hp more then stock that was with stock injectors. Any exhaust restrictions or leaks? Reach in and spin the turbo by hand, does it spin easy?

Old 10-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
I’ve tried all but the death mode tunes with zero change. Stock, 12v, and street. No restrictions or exhaust leaks that I’ve found. Turbo spins free as can be by hand. It has a 5” turbo back exhaust straight pipes.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Something funky is going on with your turbo or you have a leak. The bigger exhaust housing isn’t going to do much of anything if you are that hot while cruising.

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 10-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
I’m about 8-900 cruising empty and 1000-1100 heavy loaded..those pretty hot?

Old 10-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #12
Baron85

Name: Baron85
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I cruise between 750 ish up to 900 depending on terrain. Full throttle runs on max tune I hit 1500* easily. Towing on my old tunes would hit 1300+ on long grades. I have not towed with my new tunes yet.

My truck has 50hp injectors and an HE300vg turbo. Your temps look normal to me.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjustman View Post
I’m about 8-900 cruising empty and 1000-1100 heavy loaded..those pretty hot?

If these temps are what you’re seeing with a 63mm turbo and 100hp injectors, you’re running normal. 1,100* loaded heavy is nothing for your described setup.

If you want to cool things off, add more air via a second turbo. Especially if you tow a decent amount.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 10-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #14
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
1100 degrees was cruising on flat ground. Any small hill or bump in the road I’m 12-1300 like right now right now. The truck never really moves unless she’s being worked. I’d like to add another turbo but I also want/need an exhaust brake.. and can’t have both without spending a boat load of cash.

So would a 14cm turbine housing and after market manifold help? Waste of money? Should I go to a T4? Or is that a waste of money also? I have a .83 dual volute gated housing I could put on if I got a different manifold. Just kinda waiting to see what y’all think before I spend money I don’t really have to spend right now.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #15
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
What does it climb to after you lean on it? If it's jumping to 1300 but stays there, run it

Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #16
crackerman

Name: crackerman
Member`s Gallery
Try wiring your wastegate arm shut, or if available, put a few more turns on the adjustment arm to tighten it up. It shouldn't take very long, is free to try, and as far as I can tell, hasn't been suggested yet.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #17
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjustman View Post
1100 degrees was cruising on flat ground. Any small hill or bump in the road I’m 12-1300 like right now right now. The truck never really moves unless she’s being worked. I’d like to add another turbo but I also want/need an exhaust brake.. and can’t have both without spending a boat load of cash.

So would a 14cm turbine housing and after market manifold help? Waste of money? Should I go to a T4? Or is that a waste of money also? I have a .83 dual volute gated housing I could put on if I got a different manifold. Just kinda waiting to see what y’all think before I spend money I don’t really have to spend right now.
Going to a larger housing would be the wrong direction for what your wanting.

I think your Wastegate is leaking way early, yeah it will get to 40psi when you outrun the gate, but pulling heavy at 1600rpm it needs to be sealed/shut tight.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #18
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
What does it climb to after you lean on it? If it's jumping to 1300 but stays there, run it
It’s gotten to almost 1400 before I’ve backed out of it. Usually on a downshift pulling a hill.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #19
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerman View Post
Try wiring your wastegate arm shut, or if available, put a few more turns on the adjustment arm to tighten it up. It shouldn't take very long, is free to try, and as far as I can tell, hasn't been suggested yet.
I’ve got the gate turned as far shut as I can get it. It went about 5 more turns shut. I’m going to pull it off and hook air up to itnon the bench. I’ve thought it was the wastegate since day one but until this thread , y’all have been the only ones who have brought that up. So I’m just going to try to take a look at it off the truck.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #20
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Didn't a lot of the pucks in those housings leak?

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Closed Thread