injector problems?? 93 7.3idi help!

bodyman82568

hello,new to compd. i have some questions on my 93 7.3 non turbo idi.1st some back ground. i am new to deisels in general,but i have wrenched on everything else for 42+years.what i am up against is my truck(just purchased in march) it ran good for 173000 miles on the clock. i wanted to spruce it up for plowing this winter. i done the following-1 step at a time,new glowplugs-and it performed fine,new lift pump , after this it ran fine, i was told to replace the injectors and return lines with this many miles. i wish i wouldn't have touched them. i put in the reman injectors (all 8 delphi's ,reman from pensicola deisel)truck ran fine for 3 days-i ran the truck about 50 miles on the 3rd morning shut it down for approx. 4 hrs and when i went to start it,it smoked and missed like crazy. i was told that an injector jambed-so i put my old injectors back in,now it smokes and misses at start up.after it warms up it seems fine but if it idles for 5-10min. it starts to smoke white/blue. i was told that i "upset the old injectors" i did mix them up,and 3 appeared to be leaking when originally pulled.i am waiting for new injectors. did i hurt this motor? or is this just leaking injectors? the inj.pump has not been touched. i planned that later for performance.pyro reads fine,no oil gain or loss. i'm confused:bang any input would be appreciated thanks bodyman

put the new injectors in and see what happens. if you still have a problem with smoke and missing, it is time for a injection pump rebuild. with the miles you have on it. that would be my next step. no you did not hurt the motor. maybe just your pride. ( just kidding) one other thing to look at is it sucking air into the fuel system???

injectors??

i realy appreciate the information,i have access to another 7.3 with 113000 miles on it.it has a bad oil pump,but i can use the injectors,and injection pump off from it for comparison- would you suggest this or just wait for new injectors? thanks bodyman

With over 100,000 miles on the injectors and the injection pump, both are at the end of their typical service life. It would be a good idea to get a rebuilt IP and NEW injectors. I'd say far away from Pensecola Diesel and Diesel Care (Memphis). Both have bad reputation with IDI parts. I can tell you how many times I've heard folks having the same problem with their parts (injectors in particular).

Leaking injectors will cause the poor starting, smoke issues, and rough idel that you are having. I'd also start with another return line/cap kit. Reusing the kit you just put on will only lead to air/fuel leaks.

There are a few guys on oilburners.net in the IDI forums that sell new Delphi BB code injectors that have been pop tested and matched for opening pressure, spray pattern, and leak tested for a very reasonble price. Russ and Mel are the two to private message. Russ goes by "typ4" and Mel goes by "Agnem" on oilburners.

Nothing agaist Comp D, but Oilburners is the IDI resource.

Heath

thanks for all the input,figured it out it was the ip.i am now running the 100,000milr pump and injectors.but i'll be getting a rebuilt pump and new injectors as soon as the wallet will handle it.the pump must have been weak every since i bought the truck,then gave up when i put the rebuilt injectors in.the old truck has never ran this good since i bought it thanks bodyman. p.s. my pride isn't hurt but my deisel knowledge is growing,quickly!

Back