Are big singles the future?

Allan I think you tune or play with tuning on class 8 trucks.. when was the last time you adjusted horsepower curve in a file? Also your truck probably has 480hp at lets say 1900 +- rpm and peak torque at about 1500rpm when you hit a big hill or a long steep grade notice where the tach settles in ? I bet around 1500 where peak torque is... you may get a run at the hill with the horsepower but when it settles in its the torque doing the work.

Yes 1500 is where peak torque is. Yet if I can't pull a hill at say 60 mph at 1500, I split a gear to 1700 and suddenly I'm pulling it at 60 mph? Engine torque is lower, HP is higher, and I'm making more torque to the wheels.

Also the torque wrench analogy makes me LOL. How much torque can you make on one personally? So what if you were in the engine bay of a car with your torque wrench, would the car go anywhere? It would barely move. You can make a decent amount of torque but it's at such a low RPM it is quite useless for doing any actual work. The human body can produce a lot of torque, but maybe 1/5 a HP.

Yes 1500 is where peak torque is. Yet if I can't pull a hill at say 60 mph at 1500, I split a gear to 1700 and suddenly I'm pulling it at 60 mph? Engine torque is lower, HP is higher, and I'm making more torque to the wheels.

Also the torque wrench analogy makes me LOL. How much torque can you make on one personally? So what if you were in the engine bay of a car with your torque wrench, would the car go anywhere? It would barely move. You can make a decent amount of torque but it's at such a low RPM it is quite useless for doing any actual work. The human body can produce a lot of torque, but maybe 1/5 a HP.

Your statement here if I were your shop foreman I would make you turn your keys in and encourage a career path change.

Hey guess what amigo..... the human body can't produce horsepower or torque in the terms that we're discussing.

The phucking definition of torque we're discussing is how strong a rotation is that takes place and horsepower is the speed of the rotation ... not how many fleshlight or shakeweight beats you can do per second Allan.

Last edited:
I guess you people don't ride bicycles in Texas, or have vehicles that kick down a gear when the pedal is mashed?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I guess you people don't ride bicycles in Texas, or have vehicles that kick down a gear when the pedal is mashed?

If something I drive needs to downshift at speed, it just needs more power. LMAO

But seriously, WTF happened to my thread about big single turbochargers?

Last edited:

See this makes sense now, I had to gear down and use torque multiplication through my transmission for my horsepower to carry the hill due to the lack of torque in the higher rpm.... just like my horsepower converter in my automatic..... sorry speedshift for the derail...…..

No.

Yes. The power input of a bicycle is variable on angle of the pedal in relation to the knee and hip. Biomechanics 101.

Such as whether your standing and riding vs. sitting and riding.

In return the greatest power output comes from the hip rather than the thigh, this is the reason it's easier to climb a hill standing as it's more of a true vertical stroke such as the cummins I6 vs a V8 design which looses force from the angular stroke.

The vertical stoke will create a much greater output of power (torque).

In regards to the gears of a bike. The taller the gear, the more power per pedal with less revolutions, and in return the ability to climb the hill. Revolutions are the same as horsepower with regard to the amount of power needed to spin a mechanical object still resulting from torque. The rate of speed will be null and void if no torque is present.

So. You claim to grasp biomechanics, but failed high-school physics.

So. You claim to grasp biomechanics, but failed high-school physics.

Oh good Lord!

Your argument is void.

You've already been outlined why, take it or leave it.... Doesn't change the outcome of you being incorrect.

Last edited:
See this makes sense now, I had to gear down and use torque multiplication through my transmission for my horsepower to carry the hill due to the lack of torque in the higher rpm.... just like my horsepower converter in my automatic..... sorry speedshift for the derail...…..

Almost as if there's a number out there available to us that does the math for us.

Is the magic number 7121 ?
Another question, whats more important VOLTS or AMPS flmao…………..

I feel dumber after reading these last few pages, this is starting to look like one of those diesel fb groups full of mouth breathers arguing.

Oh good Lord!

Your argument is void.

You've already been outlined why, take it or leave it.... Doesn't change the outcome of you being incorrect.
What exactly have you morphed my argument into? Realistically, I didn't offer an argument, there was nothing of substance offered on your part.

You outlined some tangent about variable displacement engines for whatever reason. It only exemplifies the fact that you didn't comprehend my analogy.

That's all I will be taking from your responses.

Another analogy:

"Government doesn't matter, congress is all that matters!"

Replace government with HP and congress with torque.

Now do you see how silly the argument is?

What exactly have you morphed my argument into? Realistically, I didn't offer an argument, there was nothing of substance offered on your part.

You outlined some tangent about variable displacement engines for whatever reason. It only exemplifies the fact that you didn't comprehend my analogy.

That's all I will be taking from your responses.

You used a bike as an anology.....

How many people do you know that climb a hill on a bike using the same stance as if they were flat cruising? Yet when you ride a bike at speed its easier to sustain speed while in a taller gear. Therefore again torque does the work. The smaller the gear, the greater load output required to sustain speed. Loss of this power output will also result in lost speed.

The reality your bike up hill phrase was worthless and it was explained why.

That's all I was pointing out.

Last edited:
Back