48RE No end play

megastang

I am rebuilding the trans from my pickup. When I took it apart the intermediate shaft selective spacer ring had a pretty significant step worn in it. It would have originally been the .175 spacer. I measured the OD unit multiple times and I determined that it should have the .193 spacer.

When I put the OD unit on and check end play there is nothing. When I remove the OD I get about .065. I reused all the selective spacers other than the intermediate shaft ring. The spacer on the pump stator measures .140. I could correct the end play with that but I would like to make sure that there isn't something else going on that may cause other issues. I read a thread on another forum where the billet input was machined wrong which allowed it to be installed too far into the direct hub. I think that with the .175 spacer it probably would have had a little bit of end play but didn't match up with the measurements I took.

Can someone tell me if this input and hub are aftermarket? Does anyone have measurements for the input and hub assembly that would help me rule out an issue there? Any other suggestions are welcome Also. Thanks!

Attachments

• 48re input shaft.jpg
    48re input shaft.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 3
Did you get it figured out?

The selective spacer on the intermediate shaft (wedding ring) is selected by measuring the OD section.

That looks like a billet input shaft from what I can tell.

You can put a different selective spacer (the big diameter on) on that face, and then the bushing that goes between the input and intermediate shaft to get your desired end play.

No end play is suspicious. I always turn them on the tail shaft and use vice grips to pull the input shaft up/down.

Back