Walk me thru, cheap 215 pump mods

Greg5OH

cummins swapped F350. 37" tires, nv4500, 373 gears.
1st and second are a nuisance. bone stock 215 pump. the gov cuts me out pretty quick in 1st and just a touch early in 2nd, so the engine lugs down when i put it into 3rd. This is especially noticeable leaving my property, long decent grade.

Looking for more power and to extend my fueling higher in the revs.
will a 215 pump benefit from a 3k gov spring? Already set timing to 15 degrees.

Basics then like #10 fuel plate, turn up star wheel a bit...what else?

Not looking for 400 hp, but 300/700 at the wheels would be nice.
Stock hx35.

Thanks!

Go for the 4k springs even if you dont plan on turning it that fast. I just put some in my buddys 12v and it made a world of difference.

Yup 4K springs and fuel plate an foot mod. Did that on my 5spd and what a difference. But you better be decent at driving it because the pedal gets even touchier lol

with the 4k springs you ge tthe touchy pedal, but can turn down the pedal rod i read to make it less touchy?

Do the 4k springs and add an extra small return spring to the throttle linkage. It will cure most of the touchy pedal issues. The extra spring in the 4k drastically affects the fueling curve of the pump, you really want it in there.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 64.5sxe
90 d350 5x010 hx35

My favorite springs out of all I've tried have been the haisley 5k's. Set them up on the loose side and those had the best Idle and smoothest feel to them, just let the clutch out in second like you do on a stock truck. With that low of timing its not going to turn much past 3k so don't get caught up in the rating of whatever set you get.

A set of good springs, tune the AFC to where you like it. I would bump the timing to about 18, being its a stick they turn up a little more and carry thrue the gears better. A good set of stock 215 injectors and your at your goal and will be smoke free if you tune the AFC right.

A little lower gear with those 37" tires would help but gear swaps are costly.
I ran 3k gsk with a 10 plate in the old engine, know 3k gsk with AFC Live.
I tow a lot and 4k gsk gets a little to bouncy on rough roads.
Mine's a F-450, 5.9, 215 pump, zf6, 3.73's, 32" tires.

Back