Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Motorsports Supply
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #41
COMP461

Name: COMP461
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Just so you all know the specs on this cam , because I'm sure it on its way to my competitors by now.
240 221 116 .400 intake lobe .380 exhaust lobe
These cams are very aggressive.

Installed in at 120 as a starting point the intake closes at 60 degrees after bottom dead center.
I don't design cams by these numbers but rather by each timing point.
I open the exhaust in a good place to affect blow down, and thump the charger. With a 2.6 it should not need much thumping if you run the correct exhaust housing.
I shut the exhaust at around TDC , I open the intake around TDC or just a little after , this cam has -3 negative overlap
Now to the part that really counts. When to close the intake valve
It’s hard work and requires a lot of thought and dyno time to fugure out where to close the intake to move the most amount of air before the piston come up and the chamber goes from negative pressure to positive pressure
If I advance 10 degrees to the end of the event and change nothing else, then the LSA ( lobe separation angle) changes by a quarter of this , and ILC ( intake lobe centerline) changes by half of this .
All the other number stays the same

One other factor, is that the number we are talking about are number at .050 my cams are very aggressive and the .200 lift number are a lot bigger than others lobes of similar number.
Same on my street grinds. My base street intake lobe is 184 2 .050. Others advertise bigger, but in reality they are just bigger at .050, not .200 where air flow is really moving

Old 09-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #42
97rada

Name: 97rada
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP461 View Post
funny the cam has zero overlap, infact it has negitive -3 and a stock cam makes even more cylinder pressure .

why would any thinking person put any overlap in a turbocharged engine, with both valves open at the same time and pressure in the exhaust track ,with the piston going down, your just going to fill the chamber with spent gasses .
False sir. Not at appropriate pressure ratios. But that's for a different day

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #43
UNBROKEN

Name: UNBROKEN
Title: Ezekiel 25:17
Member`s Gallery
Something tells me this is about to get good...so I moved it out of the paid vendor forum into a more suitable location.

Batter up!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #44
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
False sir. Not at appropriate pressure ratios. But that's for a different day
REALLY, now where would you come up with that . pressure rations really don't come in to play because there is pressure in both and a low pressure area with the piston going down.

this will be my last post on this thread , it seems like the moderators are more interested in a confab with the kiddo then an informative thread.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #45
THATpreston

Name: THATpreston
Title: Brush your teeth.
Member`s Gallery
Rations? Confab? Huh?

2006 Dodge Mega Cab Dually - "MOBYDK"
Diesel Performance Converters ~ Pro Street Diesel ~ MCN Diesel

CompD Mod White Dodge Club, member #1.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #46
smoke machine

Name: smoke machine
Member`s Gallery
Cam Thread

And I guess I'm the kiddo. That's funny. Anyways i havent read all the replys for one i cant make since of a couple of them and another ive been bustying ass making money and getting ahead on jobs so i can make the next pull. Not pay $9.. Something for a cam that I have been told 4 different sets of specs on now. 232/236 400 375, tuner told me he was told 232/223, I have another message that says something about a 236/221, and now 240/221. That just pours gas on the fire. I'd rather put a factory cam back in than not know what's in it. We've chased this problem all season plus the end of last. Changing injectors, gears, tuning, turbos, exhaust manifolds, and everything else and I'm fed up with it. The only answer I've hot is advance it 4*. Screw that. If I'm going to do that the cams coming out and gonna put a proven cam in it. When Dan Clarke looks at a log from the first hook with the new motor to the one from last weekend and says wow looks like it should have ran. Everything in the log looks spot on must be something mechanical. Then boom Wayman and Bradley have the same complaints. We are all running close to the same setups Wayman went to his last years smaller cam, Bradley went a lot smaller on a Hamilton. I can keep going but don't want to whoop a dead horse more than is due.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #47
UNBROKEN

Member`s Gallery
No Greg...the kiddo wants to tell the truth without you crying about it being in your vendor area.
So...I'm putting it back...and I expect zero crying from you when it gets ugly.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #48
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Greg- you can't swing with the big boys? Grow a pair!

You claim to have the latest and greatest parts, yet no data. Throw out some names of some guys that are kickin azz on the track, and don't bull chit me with 'its confidential'. No one is falling for that one anymore.

A 300 psi gap in compression ratio seems to me like a significant swing in power, but what do I know.

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #49
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUnderwood View Post
Greg- you can't swing with the big boys? Grow a pair!

You claim to have the latest and greatest parts, yet no data. Throw out some names of some guys that are kickin azz on the track, and don't bull chit me with 'its confidential'. No one is falling for that one anymore.

A 300 psi gap in compression ratio seems to me like a significant swing in power, but what do I know.

And when did cylinder pressure on the starter motor mean anything.
I leave the intake valve open longer; the piston comes up and doesn’t capture as much air. Now spring forward to 5000 rpm where there is still a vacuum in the cylinder and the piston is going up , you leave the valve open to continue filling the chamber with air.
If you look at how long the valve is really open in millisecond’s you will see that with the extreme poor port design of the Cummins you have to give it all the chances possible to get a gulp of air.
The 2.6 is even more so , in that it is air limited .
With any thoughtfully engine development program, it requires more work than just putting it together and calling it good. Every combination is a little different; you have to work thru the program.

I started with a 232 intake and everyone was happy, then I ground a 236 and people even liked it more, I can only go by the feedback , the next cam was a 240 , the great part about the 116 LSA cams is you can roll then forward and back in the motor and dial it in . If it doesn’t run on the end of the pull when the motor is dragged down, then advance the cams and you close the intake valve sooner. This will raise cranking pressure by 10 to 20 psi per degree.

and Megatron went back to the 236 cam from last year from the 240 , and it works great , its the exact cam that John has .

when you go down a path in engine development you have to be flexable

Last edited by COMP461; 09-16-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #50
UNBROKEN

Member`s Gallery
Read post #46, Greg. John has no idea what cam he has because you keep telling him different numbers. Do you even know?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #51
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
he has a cam card , the confusion is his tunner is working with several different trucks, I know where all of them are.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #52
smoke machine

Member`s Gallery
Don't have a cam card. Been told lots of specs. Don't put this on Dan because he tunes them all. I told him what I was told the specs where and he looked back to what you told him they where.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #53
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
you have a 236 221 116 , the same cam currently in Jasons truck,

Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #54
smoke machine

Member`s Gallery
I don't know much but I do know air pumps. How does it get more air into the cylinder if you leave the intake valve open when the piston is on its way up/compression stroke? In a limited air class. Now I think with big twins it may could cram air in.

Last edited by smoke machine; 09-16-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #55
smoke machine

Member`s Gallery
240 221 116 .400 intake lobe .380 exhaust lobe
These cams are very aggressive.

you have a 236 221 116 , the same cam currently in Jasons truck,

So in 4 posts I've had two different cams

Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #56
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Sounds like a unhappy customer to me.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #57
SHughes

Name: SHughes
Title: Too much is never enough!
Member`s Gallery
That's what I love about Diesel Pros...Fletcher doesn't pretend to remember who has his cams or who you are for that matter.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #58
Red_Rattler

Name: Red_Rattler
Title: High Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
You mentioned another interesting fact that all the trucks have in common besides the cams John...

95 2500 4x4 Ext Cab Handshaker "BUCKN' BADGER"

Ducky Fuel Injection

Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #59
dansdieselp

Name: dansdieselp
Title: Diesel Tuner
Member`s Gallery
I just go by what I'm told. If the owner doesn't know what he has I ask the source. Now I'm not going to get into this pissing match, but I will state what I believe. I have Greg's cam in my truck and it makes peak power at 4000rpm and carries it way out to the right side on the graph. It's a 2.6 Duramax so it's not gonna respond the same as a Cummins with the same grind IMO. I like it and won't give this one up. Now when we are looking at four different trucks running into the same problem you have to look at what they have in common. Jason's truck ran awesome last year. Made a few changes over winter and lost all bottom end power. You figure a better head and charger aren't going to hurt ya much so went back to old injectors. Helped, but not enough. Went back to smaller cam and runs like it did last year. So the cam was the culprit. Now does this make the other cam junk? I don't think so, but I believe that it's too big for a 2.6 truck. The best 2.6 charger is only going to flow so many pounds of air per minute and it can't feed these cams where they want to make power. So now you're driving the charger harder and heating up the air more. Also air is moving faster and spending less time in the intercooler. In the logs I'm seeing intake manifold temps in the 180-250*+ range at end of run. I think these Cummins cams would work better in a big twin setup or drag racing motor. The theory of keeping the intake valve open after BDC is not a bad one. If boost pressure is higher than cylinder pressure as piston is coming up air is still flowing in. More air in will equal more power. Hot air however is gonna kill it though. Sometimes less is more. That is all for now.

www.dansdieselperformance.com

Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #60
dansdieselp

Name: dansdieselp
Title: Diesel Tuner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Rattler View Post
You mentioned another interesting fact that all the trucks have in common besides the cams John...
Didn't know you could EFILive a 12V.

www.dansdieselperformance.com

Closed Thread