Dodge steering.

No, I mean when you said 2wd was for cars and then talked about the wife's Buick...surely you don't make her drive 2wd?

Sure do. Don't need that AWD to get groceries. When the weather is bad, we take the big, bad ass, 4wd truck that is old, paid off, and already has dents. ;)

Anybody know how to easily get partially chewed Subway out of a keyboard?

First, start the video. Then, take it, hold it between both hands...and smash it into your face. All the food will fall out. When you wake up, stop the recording and post it here.

:hehe:

Much love, you assholes. Have a peaceful weekend.

No, I mean when you said 2wd was for cars and then talked about the wife's Buick...surely you don't make her drive 2wd?

Chris
Ours is just front wheel drive. Had zero issues this past winter with it. Fwd or two, is less parts to go bad, less weight to haul around, and usually better fuel mileage.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have a feeling it's time for ball joints.

Best way to test them to jack it up and put a bar under the tire?

I have a feeling it's time for ball joints.

Best way to test them to jack it up and put a bar under the tire?
That's what I always thought, I have a random pop I keep hearing on my left side up front when turning. Last week I did the crow bar test along with the shakey shake test and I couldn't get anything to budge. Parked it yesterday and looked at front end, the left front tire is definitely tilted in a good amount at the top. Going to redo the crow bar test today but why it didn't show up last week doesn't make sense. Just bought brand new toyo AT3's so I'm not trying to trash them.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

That's what I always thought, I have a random pop I keep hearing on my left side up front when turning. Last week I did the crow bar test along with the shakey shake test and I couldn't get anything to budge. Parked it yesterday and looked at front end, the left front tire is definitely tilted in a good amount at the top. Going to redo the crow bar test today but why it didn't show up last week doesn't make sense. Just bought brand new toyo AT3's so I'm not trying to trash them.

I'm going to be hauling round bales from the inlaws to my place in the next several weeks. I don't plan on hauling 25K+ across the state 3 times without some piece of mind. Going to order two new front tires tomorrow and try to schedule the front end. I'm sure it will be a few grand. :bang

https://thurenfabrication.com/pages/alignment-handling

Ball joints are a touchy subject on these Dodge Rams. We hear it SO often, that with 15,000 miles on the truck, customers are being told by repair shops that their ball joints are already worn out. I have really never seen OEM Mopar ball joints with less that 75,000 miles, that NEEDED to be replaced, and I have seen ball joints with 200,000 miles that were fine. The main confusion is vertical movement through the joints. Vertical movement through the ball joints is totally normal, and the truck comes off the dealer lot like this. Lateral/side-to-side slop is what we don't want, and what should be checked for. I can't tell you how often shops will put a pry bar under the knuckle, show the customer the vertical play, and maybe unknowing, sell a big money job that does not need to be done. Maybe they do know what they are doing. Hard to say. Just be careful and smart on this.

I also have run into many times ball joints being seized up. This is a HUGE factor on handling. If the ball joints are locking up internally, the truck will almost never want to drive itself straight(caster forces). These caster forces need a very slippery free-moving set of ball joints, to let the truck self center, as you drive down the road. If you keep replacing components and the truck just always seems to wander all over the road, check and make sure the steering knuckles are nice and loose, smooth, and swing easy. I mostly see this with aftermarket ball joints, even with the very high end aftermarket ones.

https://thurenfabrication.com/pages/alignment-handling

Ball joints are a touchy subject on these Dodge Rams. We hear it SO often, that with 15,000 miles on the truck, customers are being told by repair shops that their ball joints are already worn out. I have really never seen OEM Mopar ball joints with less that 75,000 miles, that NEEDED to be replaced, and I have seen ball joints with 200,000 miles that were fine. The main confusion is vertical movement through the joints. Vertical movement through the ball joints is totally normal, and the truck comes off the dealer lot like this. Lateral/side-to-side slop is what we don't want, and what should be checked for. I can't tell you how often shops will put a pry bar under the knuckle, show the customer the vertical play, and maybe unknowing, sell a big money job that does not need to be done. Maybe they do know what they are doing. Hard to say. Just be careful and smart on this.

I also have run into many times ball joints being seized up. This is a HUGE factor on handling. If the ball joints are locking up internally, the truck will almost never want to drive itself straight(caster forces). These caster forces need a very slippery free-moving set of ball joints, to let the truck self center, as you drive down the road. If you keep replacing components and the truck just always seems to wander all over the road, check and make sure the steering knuckles are nice and loose, smooth, and swing easy. I mostly see this with aftermarket ball joints, even with the very high end aftermarket ones.

Good info. I WAS told by the dealer over 100,000 miles ago that the ball joints were bad. I told them they were full of shit. Now the truck has 184,000+ miles on it. I can see where they would be worn out at this point. They sure as you said it gave me the " they move up and down and that's bad" speach.

So, there is a dealership in Guthrie, OK that did have a really good front end/alignment guy on the Dodge side. Not sure if Jim is still there, but I will try to get in touch with him and have him check it out. I trust that guy.

I really hate getting it all straight then the truck just dart left or right a tad. It's slight, but unnerving. It's like driving a '99 Ford diesel..."rails" is NOT synonymous with cornering. LOL

I have an 08 cab n chassis flatbed, and it drives great.
I've replaced the ball joints and some of the steering linkage with Oriely chit. it has 235k miles on it

I get maybe 12k miles out of frt tires, I quit rotating them and just replace the frts only, But other than that the truck drives good.

I have an 08 cab n chassis flatbed, and it drives great.
I've replaced the ball joints and some of the steering linkage with Oriely chit. it has 235k miles on it

I get maybe 12k miles out of frt tires, I quit rotating them and just replace the frts only, But other than that the truck drives good.

Completely agree, I stopped rotating tires a few years back. I only need two tires now, not 6. I was a HUGE "tire rotation" guy for decades....and the light finally came on. Not on a Dodge 1-ton. Leave them be and buy two at a time.

Park it on concrete, with the truck running, and have someone crank the steering wheel left and right, and get under the truck and look.

check the track bar for play.

Park it on concrete, with the truck running, and have someone crank the steering wheel left and right, and get under the truck and look.

Roger that. Maybe she will stomp the go pedal and I won't have to worry about everything that I own that's broke and needs a grand spent on it. :bang

On edit: It's better to have a bunch of broken shit than nothing at all I guess. Life is good. I just get really tired of fixing shit every day of my life.

On edit: It's better to have a bunch of broken shit than nothing at all I guess. Life is good. I just get really tired of fixing shit every day of my life.

I know how you feel. My Shutoff Solenoid burnt up last night and I ran over something on the way in this morning and ruined a tire....:kick:

I know how you feel. My Shutoff Solenoid burnt up last night and I ran over something on the way in this morning and ruined a tire....:kick:

It probably is worse for guys like you and Jeff. Ya'll spend all day everyday fixing everyone else's shit....then get to come home and work on your own. I can imagine how that must feel.

It's so nice to be able to type the word shit on Comp D now. I'm currently one a 7 day fagbook ban for quoting Bufford T. Justice. I typed "make a left turn daddy, make a right turn daddy, and you'll be in the clear. Jr., when I get home, I'm gonna slap yo momma right in the mouth." Then got the ban hammer for not conforming to community standards. :hehe: Bernie voting assholes.

well on the birhgt side you have plenty of rut to fill in from the delivery....my dirt guy brought me in 6 loads of shell...most of it got used to fill the ruts he left comin in where it was soft...i got sand here tho

well on the birhgt side you have plenty of rut to fill in from the delivery....my dirt guy brought me in 6 loads of shell...most of it got used to fill the ruts he left comin in where it was soft...i got sand here tho

What are you talking about, Gary? Are you drunk again? LOL

where that heavy truck came in...my deliverys always leave ruts i gotta fill in first from the truck bringing it..then i can spread whatever they brought..shell or dirt...that ususally makes for some decent base tho ...

Back