H2O injection

FV SarahBrent

Bluewater
At the Rudys truck jam I noticed what looked to be a hydraulic motor, gear driven on the front of the engine to power the H2O injection.What lubes the hyd. motor? Also I noticed a rule Bilgepump mounted under the front of some of the pull trucks. What do they do?

They are pumps for air-icewater intercoolers. They use crankshaft driven pumps because race vehicles usually only have a battery sized to run data-loggers and any necessary lights. They are also lighter and more efficient because you drop the mechanical-electrical-electrical-mechanical conversion losses.

Water pumps do not require fluid lubrication because they are designed for water. Adapted pumps can use water soluble lubrication like those used for engine cooling systems. But I doubt many racers will tell you exactly what they use because of race secrecy to be competitive.

Last edited:
Thanks. Worked alot over the years with the Rule Bilgepumps. Just didnt know how the pump for the H2o injection was cooled. Maybe @ 5.9x in the 1/8 it doesnt have time to heat up! Ha HA!

They are pumps for air-icewater intercoolers. They use crankshaft driven pumps because race vehicles usually only have a battery sized to run data-loggers and any necessary lights. They are also lighter and more efficient because you drop the mechanical-electrical-electrical-mechanical conversion losses.

Water pumps do not require fluid lubrication because they are designed for water. Adapted pumps can use water soluble lubrication like those used for engine cooling systems. But I doubt many racers will tell you exactly what they use because of race secrecy to be competitive.

As usual not true! We use hydro pumps driven off the engine for water injection. That's a very common practice. I've not heard of anybody running one to run their a/w since they build such high pressure. Water soluble oil is what is run in my hydro pump

As usual not true!
As usual you're trolling and making wrong assumptions.
I never said they were not used for water injection. Any pump can be driven from a crankshaft.

I've not heard of anybody running one to run their a/w since they build such high pressure.
What pressure? A/W circulation pumps need high flow, not pressure. Anyone that can build an air/air core to stand 100+psi boost can build the same for air/water as well.

Water injection = high pressure (low flow) ...hydro pumps
Air to water pump = low pressure (high flow)...sump...bilge pumps ect.

A forty gallon heavy ass hydraulic pump to move your air to water coolant would be as stupid as a bilge pump on your injection nozzles.

Tormentor is still a dick.

I never said they were not used for water injection. Any pump can be driven from a crankshaft.

What pressure? A/W circulation pumps need high flow, not pressure. Anyone that can build an air/air core to stand 100+psi boost can build the same for air/water as well.

So show us all the crank driven a2w pumps...

from phone

Who is trolling? I gave correct info to your incorrect. A hydro pump builds thousands of psi not hundreds. Even the weakest hydrolic pump would explode an a/w cooler. Joe has it right

A forty gallon heavy ass hydraulic pump to move your air to water coolant would be

Smart as it increases the front end weight to keep the nose from lifting and less nose weights are needed.

Who is trolling? ... A hydro pump builds thousands of psi not hundreds. Even the weakest hydrolic pump would explode an a/w cooler. Joe has it right
You. Since you have no understanding of how hydraulics work, I will explain: Pressure is a function of flowXrestriction. An open-ended hydraulic system, or one with very little restriction, will have very little pressure.
The advantage to using a hydraulic pump for circulation is its a positive displacement pump. Unlike a centrifugal pump, it will not suffer flow loss as the water is restricted flowing through the ice to the inlet of the pump.

how do you control when it builds pressure, or because it is crank driven it is always injecting?
Just as with any other always-on fluid pump, with a relief valve. When WI is not needed the flow is simply dumped back to the tank or pump inlet.

Last edited:
Anyone can spit This garage info out. So your telling me you wanna use a hydro pump that is capable of 3000psi and dump 2925psi worth back to the tank...good thinking. Talk about loss of energy, right there is one.

from phone

Anyone can spit This garage info out.
It was asked, nobody cares if you specifically already know the answer, the post was not intended for you.

So your telling me
My what is?

you wanna use a hydro pump that is capable of 3000psi and dump 2925psi worth back to the tank...good thinking. Talk about loss of energy, right there is one.
Thanks for demonstrating you know nothing about hydraulics or pumps. :hehe:

Actually the original poster asked about water injection not about a/w coolers so nothing you post here has any relevance to that question.

But since you continue. Please post a link or pics of a a/w setup that runs one of the hydraulic pumps to circulate water through a cooler that's only designed to handle 100 psi of water pressure.

everybody WATCH OUT!

Tormentor found the bold and italic button.

Reporting a post and calling for the waaambulance in 3....2...1

New avatar for Tormentor in 3....2.....1

Tormentor, let me ask you this, since you seem to know errything about errrything diesel/turbo/water injection related. What do YOU drive everyday? Is it a diesel truck? What mods have you done? Does it have water injection?

Actually the original poster asked about water injection not about a/w coolers
Actually the original poster asked about the pumps on the engines of pulling trucks so your post has nothing to do with the discussion.

But since you continue. Please post a link or pics of a a/w setup that runs one of the hydraulic pumps to circulate water through a cooler that's only designed to handle 100 psi of water pressure.
Please go read post Number 11. In fact, I'll repost it for you since that may be too complicated a task for your tiny troll brain to understand.

Since you have no understanding of how hydraulics work, I will explain: Pressure is a function of flowXrestriction. An open-ended hydraulic system, or one with very little restriction, will have very little pressure.

Ever blown an intercooler boot? What happens to intake manifold pressure when that happens? If your turbo was making 35psi and the flow restriction is suddenly reduced to near zero by the open boot, why doesn't your turbo continue to make 35psi of pressure?

Last edited:
Your phucking stupid! If its on a pulling truck you mouth breathing moron its a water injection system. Since you obviously have no clue what your talking about please do us all a favor and stfu! Nobody give a chit what you do on your 100hp TDI! Go the phuck back to what ever troll site your inbred azz came from.

e4anysyh.jpg

Yes I know nothing about hydraulics. I don't deal with This stuff.

Explain to us How you set up all your air to waters with your hydraulic pumps.......

from phone

Last edited:
Back