Ultimate Tow Rig BUILD

So 4th gen and HVAC box and dash bolts into a 3rd gen cab. Any girls modifications required?
You’re going to have that sucker running in a month, or less.

Its pretty crazy how everything came together, I expected to have more problems. Hopefully things keep going this way on this project. The battery box, cowl wiring, fuse box, abs motor, hydroboost, everything has bolted right in, and fit perfectly. The 2008 wiper motor, throttle pedal sensor, GPS antenna, and brake fluid res all plugged right in to the 2012 harness.

I think the only things I am going to have to figure out are the electrics in the doors.

Im sure the machine shop will have the engine for a while, then I will need to get it put together and dropped into the truck, it has a long way to go.

Dang that megacab dually looks awesome. I never see those anymore. Can't beat the best if both worlds though with the mc/lb combo.

What a great day to work outside all day. It’s 102* in the shade. Smh

Got the frame stripped for the long bed conversion, just gotta figure out exactly where i need to make the cut.

8339b2b94f728e9a1c28e376203dda9a.jpg

d7e71647c17a5ee4afb2c9ca90fe47b8.jpg

Is that a JCB 520?

Man, im not sure of the exact model. It belongs to my cousin, I borrowed it get this truck taken apart, and I am also helping a buddy build his new drag truck, so he brought it over and I pulled the bed for him.

That little forklift is fuggin awesome though. I keep looking for one, just dont want to pay $15k+.

Truck Alignment Frame, LLC - Home

these guys have done a few stretches in my area, maybe give them a buzz tomorrow.

I appreciate it. I have been using the info from a write-up that Diesel Army did a while back. This weekend I didnt have a torch or sawzall to cut the frame, and I didnt feel like looking for the info again... I was phuckin hot and dieing. :hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwzP-ONpv7E

https://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tech/other-tech/video-install-diy-mega-cab-long-bed-conversion/

This is my buddies truck I am helping with, should be a 6.70 maybe 5.90 truck when we are done.

d9f5155c1668b045db8296f3333c9497.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, im not sure of the exact model. It belongs to my cousin, I borrowed it get this truck taken apart, and I am also helping a buddy build his new drag truck, so he brought it over and I pulled the bed for him.

That little forklift is fuggin awesome though. I keep looking for one, just dont want to pay $15k+.

I’m pretty sure it’s a 520. I really like them.
You’re making great progress!

I worked all sat on this project, got the frame cut, put a hood on, ran some wiring, and hooked up some power to make sure the dash would light up. All seems well.

I am currently trying to figure out how I want to set this engine up. I want to be able to tow 25k with the cruise on, and never need to look at a gauge. I should never need to spin this engine over 3200rpm so I am just going to use stock valve train parts, but I have been looking at Hamiltons 178/208 cam. It has some very attractive improvements, if anyone has some experience with it please chime in!

https://hamiltoncams.com/product/towing-and-efficiency-cam/

As much as I want the exhaust brake, I have decided its not worth the risk for reliability. So what turbo setup would be ideal? I want sub 1200* EGTs while towing, fast spool-up, only needs to support 600-700hp max and will be at 500-550hp for a while. S464? S467? S464/S475 compounds? S362/S475 compounds?

Engine will be a 6.8l FYI.

I have been researching sound deadner and insulation for the cab. Has anyone ever used Lizard Skin spray? My current plan is to RAAMat the floor, doors, and roof and then spray Lizard Skin on the bottom/back of the cab, and reinstall the factory matting with better fasteners. I want this truck as insulated and quiet as possible.

I did my 04 in RAAMat when I did a similar rebuild 10 years ago, I just didnt do the roof. Not sure if I should spray Lizard Skin on the roof as well. Like put a layer over the RAAMat?

Also, does anyone have experience with high end window tint? I see the advertisements saying the more expensive stuff reflects heat better, just didnt know if it was really worth it. I plan on 20% for the front windows, double 5% on all rear windows, and legal eyebrow. Im sure tinting the windshield would make a big difference with a good light tint also.

Last edited:
Back