Nitrous express, when boost isn't enough...

300hp= .24 pounds per second. Bottle psi was 1050 at the start. That was with a .120 orifice solenoid (Our lightning if you care) I would have to double check with Mike Wood on the regulator settings, he has them all listed with the rest of our flow data. Ill have to get with him tomorrow to make sure I give you correct information.

This is not just us or one regulator.

We have not seen the same in our testing. Although we did not do much testing with the 15# bottle. When used the 10# bottle with a another company's bottle we saw some pressure drop with shot sizes of over 300hp.

To Wade's point, you can run a lot of nitrous through a diesel. I've seen three .157 solenoids wide open on a couple dyno runs, which would be like a 1,200 hp shot on a gas rig, if not more. The pressure drop at that rate is probably pretty nasty.

To Wade's point, you can run a lot of nitrous through a diesel. I've seen three .157 solenoids wide open on a couple dyno runs, which would be like a 1,200 hp shot on a gas rig, if not more. The pressure drop at that rate is probably pretty nasty.

Closer to 2,400hp. About 800 per solenoid.

I do understand where your coming from. But that is a whole different animal than what we were talking about. Glad to have your contributions, I enjoy tech more than just repeating the same old questions.

Assume one .125 solenoid, one .136 jet, fifteen feet of -6an line (.312" ID) and 1000psi bottle pressure. How many equivalent lb/min of atmospheric air does this supply to the engine?

CarTech, Inc.: Browsing How To Install and Use Nitrous Oxide [DOWNLOADABLE VERSION-COMPLETE BOOK]<br>

Assuming that this guy is right ^^^^

And my thinking is right, then in a gas world, that would mean that a .063 jet (150 hp shot) is worth about 65 cfm of 36% (by weight) oxygenated air. Since that's a lot more O2 than a normal 19 % by weight regular air, we'd expect the actual cfm equivalent to be about 123cfm of air for a .063 jet.

Since a .136 jet (assuming you can flow all of that) is 4.66 times as much nitrous, we'd expect you to have the equivalent of about 573cfm more air mixed in with whatever the turbo is sucking in already.

Now all I have to do is wait until Big Thumper shows up and tells me that I'm all wrong :lolly:

CarTech, Inc.: Browsing How To Install and Use Nitrous Oxide [DOWNLOADABLE VERSION-COMPLETE BOOK]<br>

Assuming that this guy is right ^^^^

And my thinking is right, then in a gas world, that would mean that a .063 jet (150 hp shot) is worth about 65 cfm of 36% (by weight) oxygenated air. Since that's a lot more O2 than a normal 19 % by weight regular air, we'd expect the actual cfm equivalent to be about 123cfm of air for a .063 jet.

Since a .136 jet (assuming you can flow all of that) is 4.66 times as much nitrous, we'd expect you to have the equivalent of about 573cfm more air mixed in with whatever the turbo is sucking in already.

Now all I have to do is wait until Big Thumper shows up and tells me that I'm all wrong :lolly:
The 573cfm is very close to actual performance given optimum conditions as stated by Graham. Thanks Jason!

The 573cfm is very close to actual performance given optimum conditions as stated by Graham. Thanks Jason!

Jason do good??!! :lolly:

There's like a bunch of other stuff that I didn't factor in like latent heat of vaporization and all that stuff, and it also really depends on your air fuel ratio, which nobody talks about anyhow.

Jason do good??!! :lolly:

There's like a bunch of other stuff that I didn't factor in like latent heat of vaporization and all that stuff, and it also really depends on your air fuel ratio, which nobody talks about anyhow.

Thats for smart people to discuss......We drive diesels :lolly:

One quick clarification frm NANO

300hp= .24 pounds per second. Bottle psi was 1050 at the start. That was with a .120 orifice solenoid (Our lightning if you care) I would have to double check with Mike Wood on the regulator settings, he has them all listed with the rest of our flow data. Ill have to get with him tomorrow to make sure I give you correct information.

This is not just us or one regulator.

Looking over the discussion I need to clarify one item. The NANO does support a continuous flow 0.5.0 lbs/sec of nitrous, but remember the flow rate of a NANO installation is dependent on the pathway of the nitrous bottle valve port that the NANO is connected to. Flow ratings will vary with different manufactures nitrous oxide valves. Some of the less expense valves will only support about 0.29 lbs/sec. I don’t remember off hand what we saw with the NX valve, but as I remember, it performed well.

Graham, tell Mike and Fred I say HI!

Looking over the discussion I need to clarify one item. The NANO does support a continuous flow 0.5.0 lbs/sec of nitrous, but remember the flow rate of a NANO installation is dependent on the pathway of the nitrous bottle valve port that the NANO is connected to. Flow ratings will vary with different manufactures nitrous oxide valves. Some of the less expense valves will only support about 0.29 lbs/sec. I don’t remember off hand what we saw with the NX valve, but as I remember, it performed well.

If you tested a Lightning valve I am confident it will support more than any other bottle. We had this in the design concept that we wanted to be able to support large amount nitrous with a push system. Sorry if that sounds like a sales pitch. Our valve and solenoids are something we are very proud of and many do not realize truly how much time and effort went in to them. Glad to have some good data added. Thanks for getting in the discussion!

I can for sure. Who are you tho sir? :lolly:

Last edited:

The crew said Hi! We need a blow off fitting for the 3000psi unit mike uses by the way. Just when you get a chance. :rockwoot:

Sending both a high and low pressure burst disk. The low side disk is rated at 3000psi and the high side is rated at 5000psi.

Happy Holidays.

Back