Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #41
thundergunder

Name: thundergunder
Title: Getting it done
Member`s Gallery
I despise borgeson products and their customer service is worse...

Old 01-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #42
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
Nice to hear that WildBill!

Click the image to open in full size.
Started working on this yesterday (NV271). Things a beast. Super easy to work on too. Got most of it tore down but need a set of lock ring pliers to finish getting the input shafts out. Needle nose pliers, screw drivers, and picks just weren't going to cut it anymore lol.

I also ordered a new tail housing since this one is missing a few fins. Not sure when that happened, if it was like that when I bought it or if it happened moving it around here, but didnt want to take any chances.

The good thing is it looks brand new inside, with no wear what so ever on anything. Fluid was clean, and next to no material on the magnet either. It will get all new bearings, a new input to go from 29 to 23 spline, a new chain, a new pump and other little parts. It will also be cleaned (blasted probably) and painted. Ill have more pics soon.

I needed to start working on something! I have to stay motivated on the ol' girl!

Last edited by thundergunder; 01-24-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #43
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery

This is where is left for now until parts and tools arrive. My "complete" rebuild kit was missing a few o rings. One of which is under the selector support. The selector support requires a special socket to remove it from the case. Like all specialty tools its ridiculously priced at about $180... and its the only thing it will ever be/ can be useful for. Luckily I found a used one on Ebay for $60 but still insane... I hate buying special single purpose tools...

Old 01-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #44
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Nice build you have going here. Have you thought of using a red head steering box until the PSC one comes out? I've put some on for some guys and they have loved them.
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #45
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
I had one on my last truck and put on one for a guy and was impressed both times. But why spend hundreds now, just to turn around in a few month and spend hundreds more. The play is bad, but not bad enough to have to do something immediately. If it was I'd get a parts store box for cheap and throw on.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #46
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery

This showed up yesterday. Brand new Mopar lower dash. I had my brake controller mounted to the ashtray (easy to find and replace if necessary) and it ended up breaking the "hinge" in the lower dash. I found some really really good 2 part plastic epoxy that I was going to fix it with, but it was going to require complete removal of the lower dash... So I figured i might as well just replace it. Of course its been broken for about a year now lol. Not sure when ill get it in, but I wanted to get one while I still could. You never know when Mopar will stop making something...

It does feel like a more compliant material then original. Has an expiration date of 8/17/2046, and was boxed on 8/17/16. Im guessing it was made the day it was boxed. Thats a 30 year shelf life, but who knows how long it will last in the truck.... Made in the USA too

This as an Agate color, more commonly called "black" (which is wrong....dodge didnt do black...) and the part number is 5FR4LAZAE. Its for my 02, and as long as you have the passenger side air bag switch in the dash then it should work. I dont know what the Tan or Mist Gray part numbers are.

Im surprised it even showed up in one piece... The box was not taped shut, and there was no packaging material except that it was wrapped in plastic bags. Hopefully that was a testament to its strength.

I plan to use the plastic epoxy that i bought and fill in the cavity on the back side of the ash tray hinge, and may look to improve a few other key areas. I would like to reinforce the entire thing. I've thought of bed lining the entire back side. If done right a red Solo cup is indestructible when bed lined... should work on the dash too. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know!

Ill be replacing the upper dash too. Haven't decided on the Genos reinforced dash or an LMC. The Genos isnt painted but is reinforced. The LMC is color matched but not reinforced, and I KNOW will crack. The two I put in years ago are all busted up. Didnt last nearly long as factory dashes... Im thinking I will just get the Genos dash and bed line or do something to it. ColorBond paint matches pretty good.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #47
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
Transfercase is all back together. New bearings, new chain, new pump, new 23 spine input, new fork sliders, new switch, new seals, new filter. Only thing left to do is and blast the front yoke to clean it up. The most amazing part is, it works! lol.

I ended up having to buy a pair lock ring pliers get the input out. Needle nose pliers, screw drivers and picks weren't cutting it anymore lol.

I purchased a new factory vent for it is as well, but it was really loose in the hole. So i tapped it for 1/8NPT, although it was a little sloppy... I ened up having to put a bead of RTV around the base of the fitting and seating it aginst the case since it never had a tapper in the threads to interfere against.

Just need to get some paint on it.

Last edited by thundergunder; 03-02-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #48
Billylt250r

Name: Billylt250r
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Cool truck, that steering looks beefy!

Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #49
Jolsen

Name: Jolsen
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I can't wait to see more progress. My build is suffering delays due to the 2nd amendment LoL

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #50
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
ill get there some day...

Old 03-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #51
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
Tcase is painted up and all shiny again. The exposed shafts will get a liberal amount of WD-40 and then it will be shrink warped and stored untill its called into service. It has had a quart of atf dumped in and the pump spun and of course the case has been moved all around. So it should be well coated inside. I used Seymour Alumi-coat over self etching primer.

Also scored this the other day!

If you know what it is then you know they are fairly hard to come by. Not only is it a Sport bumper, but it is a Sport Off-Road bumper with the pockets for the tow hooks. Its like the white one I posted before that I picked out of a junk yard, only this one is in MUCH better shape. The white one had the tow hook pockets pretty busted up, and they would have need a good amount of work. So it never made it to the body shop to get done. This one on the other had is there now and being painted next week hopefully.

I also ordered a Sport grille from 1Aauto, the grille support from Amazon. The sport bumper frame went off to the powder coaters over the winter. New corner support tube went with it. The plastic supports that bolt between the plastic cover and the corner supports were also ordered. Stainless hardware was ordered to bolt it all together as well.

Hopefully it will all be on here very soon! I cant wait!

Last edited by thundergunder; 03-24-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #52
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
Im also gonna give these a shot in the fog light holes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CTFTFGI...I1PZI3QPHB0JOH

3.5" round LED fog lights. The factory fogs are also 3.5" and I think that Cubes look kinda goofy in a round hole. I may try taking them apart and painting some of the reflector black. But we'll see about that.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #53
Ghostman

Name: Ghostman
Title: 24v crazy
Member`s Gallery
Interested to see the pattern and brightness on those lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
VE vs VP....isn't that like watching retard's fight?

Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #54
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
They appear to be the exact same light sold under the Ruggid Ridge brand tgat get decent reviews

Old 03-27-2017, 04:10 AM   #55
Stormin08

Name: Stormin08
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Nice score on the cover....
To me, the better is NO LICENSE PLATE HOLES.

I dont run a front plate, and hate dealing with the holes, luckily my truck never came with the bracket...NOR THE HOOKS !

by now, the smotth lines uave grown on me, and i am not a fan of the hooks, as i have never needed any, on any vehicle.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #56
badbowtie

Name: badbowtie
Title: custom engine daydreamer
Member`s Gallery
If you really have fog to deal with I don't like the color of 6k lights. The light is too white, tends to reflect back at you.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 64.5sxe
90 d350

Old 03-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #57
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
Im aware. But that isnt really the point of the lights for me. Its more for lighting up the road in front of me.

Plus if I want to, and I probably will, there are yellow lens covers available for them.
Yellow covers

I have a set of yellow covers on my Rigid D2s on my plow truck and they are great. The Rigid D2s coupled with a SHO-ME 03.W3126 Headlight flasher gives me my forward facing strobes, and yellow driving lights. Perfect combination. They do decrease the output a little, but are still plenty bright for on road use.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #58
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin08 View Post
Nice score on the cover....
To me, the better is NO LICENSE PLATE HOLES.

I dont run a front plate, and hate dealing with the holes, luckily my truck never came with the bracket...NOR THE HOOKS !

by now, the smotth lines uave grown on me, and i am not a fan of the hooks, as i have never needed any, on any vehicle.

I was amazed it had no plate holes as well lol. The story I got was that it was bought new from mopar, painted and never installed then sold to the guy I bought it from. He bought it to repair is busted up cover after his brother caught it backing up. But his metal frame was beyond repair as well, so it was never installed by him either. So if thats all true, its never been on a truck. And I honestly believe it too, simply because there are No hardware marks around any of the mounting holes.

I've always loved the sport bumpers. The tow hooks are an added rarity that, while Ill probably never use them, were a must on this truck....just because!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #59
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
Little work getting done in the body shop. Hes a busy guy so its taking a little time.

Sport tail lights color matched and tinted.

Bumper and grill in primer waiting for paint.

The stock steering box is so sloppy, I've decided to try the new PSC XD Steering gear.
94-02 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4 XD Steering Gear
Not sure when it will get here but hopefully soon.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #60
thundergunder

Member`s Gallery
Had a rainy day today, so I slipped by the body shop and picked up the bumper, grille, and tail lights.

All the parts laid out and ready to be assembled. Picked up as much stainless hardware from Boltdepot.com as I could. Had all the metal structure powder coated, and some new plastic supports for the outside.

Structure all bolted together and issolating foam tacked in to place with a little spray glue.

Went to install the cover...and well apparently mopar likes to screw with people.... The lower support is different from the off road to non off road bumpers. a 3 year only low option bumper as special part like this. Where in the past Mopar has used Chevy and Ford parts and crossed parts between vehicles to keep cost down. SMFH

A little trim and I was back on track though. Cleaned it up with a flap wheel, and hit it with some flat paint afterwards.

Ready to bolt on! The wet on the back is from WD40 to lube the stainless hardware... With out it, it will gall and lock up.

Close up of the lights. Yeah..the hardware is a little long. Used what was on the shelf.

Tail lights installed! I always hated how Dodge put black textured tail lights on these trucks. The match is pretty good in person. Not 100% but still good. Its never going to be 100%, unless everything is painted at the same time, you do a bunch of tests, and not to mention, plastic always looks just a little different the steel when its painted...even with good primer.

For now, Im just going to plasti dip the rear bumper in Anthracite, since it is the most close match. The end goal would be a Graves Truck Gear rear storage bumper.... For now the plasti dip will do.

Cant wait to get the front bumper on. Its gonna look great. The steering box shipped, so I might rip off the chrome bumper, install the box, then put the new bumper on all at once. Make it easy to get to the power steering lines.

Last edited by thundergunder; 04-25-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Closed Thread