Nitto 420's or 555R

Mazak

Looking into some tires that will hookup well.
I know a lot of people use the 420s but from what I have read the 555R's are better for the strip ? Has anyone found this to be correct ? Or is there no 555r made to handle the weight of our trucks ?

Last edited:
What's the "safe" load rating or minimal tire weight rating one should go with ?

Looks like 3086lbs is the highest load on a 420

Last edited:
420s are typically the go to because of price, availability, size offering and the fact that most guys running running them came from mud tires and think they hook great. My experience has been that they harden up dramatically after time and about 50% wear and heat (track time & burnouts). I personally would take a hard look at the toyo proxes. they dont look quite as cool but hook better imo.

420s are typically the go to because of price, availability, size offering and the fact that most guys running running them came from mud tires and think they hook great. My experience has been that they harden up dramatically after time and about 50% wear and heat (track time & burnouts). I personally would take a hard look at the toyo proxes. they dont look quite as cool but hook better imo.

ST ,STII or STIII ?

st's arent great imo, st II's were what i was referring to. ST II have my interest piqued due to tread design but i have no experience with them...

I had a set of st II’s on my wk2 srt 8 Jeep and they handled the weight/hp much better then the factory Pirelli’s that came on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m assuming you’re looking for something for something you can drive to the strip and hook well. When I was looking at running my truck, I crunched some numbers and found that I would be ahead in the long run to just cough up the money for slicks and light wheels to throw on at the strip.
I didn’t like the idea of running those LIGHT truck tires while using my truck as a truck when I needed to.

I’m assuming you’re looking for something for something you can drive to the strip and hook well. When I was looking at running my truck, I crunched some numbers and found that I would be ahead in the long run to just cough up the money for slicks and light wheels to throw on at the strip.
I didn’t like the idea of running those LIGHT truck tires while using my truck as a truck when I needed to.

What are some good light wheel options ?

Real wheels are like 15 pounds or so. but are also pretty high.
I think some of the bullethole style wheels are about 20. Pro comp 1069?
I never went through with my plan so i didnt shop around too much. I'd be willing to bet that the weight savings is most dramatic in the tire though.

Back