Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
wsnell_fab

Name: wsnell_fab
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Rebuilding and tuning a 4r100 behind a commonrail

I am in the process of swapping a 2003 commonrail cummins engine into my superduty that came with a 7.3 and a 4r100 transmission. The transmission worked great behind the 7.3, but has 205,000 miles on it and I would like to rebuild it and make it work great and feel strong behind the 5.9 commonrail engine. The catch is, i'm on a budget and cannot afford the absolute top of the line. I am going to tear this transmission apart and rebuild it myself. What would you guys recommend as a great middle of the line competitor that supplies a good kit and maybe a torque converter if I can afford it right now? My power goal is around 400 or 450 right now for the engine. Mostly just a tuner on the engine, maybe marine injectors at some point, and maybe a turbo setup of some kind but nothing crazy, I just want good reliability and driveability. I also need to decide on a good standalone controller, I know everyone like PCS controllers, but another option I have been told about is the Quick 4 controller? The Quick 4 seems to be very easily tuned and works with the stock pcm so your towhaul button still works, and the whole thing feels very stock, but with good tunability. Has anyone had any experience with it? If more information is needed for a good answer just let me know.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnell_fab View Post
I am in the process of swapping a 2003 commonrail cummins engine into my superduty that came with a 7.3 and a 4r100 transmission. The transmission worked great behind the 7.3, but has 205,000 miles on it and I would like to rebuild it and make it work great and feel strong behind the 5.9 commonrail engine. The catch is, i'm on a budget and cannot afford the absolute top of the line. I am going to tear this transmission apart and rebuild it myself. What would you guys recommend as a great middle of the line competitor that supplies a good kit and maybe a torque converter if I can afford it right now? My power goal is around 400 or 450 right now for the engine. Mostly just a tuner on the engine, maybe marine injectors at some point, and maybe a turbo setup of some kind but nothing crazy, I just want good reliability and driveability. I also need to decide on a good standalone controller, I know everyone like PCS controllers, but another option I have been told about is the Quick 4 controller? The Quick 4 seems to be very easily tuned and works with the stock pcm so your towhaul button still works, and the whole thing feels very stock, but with good tunability. Has anyone had any experience with it? If more information is needed for a good answer just let me know.
I would recommend running a pcs. You will need a better converter than stock right off the bat. If you want to buy some time with the trans and it isn't hurt at the moment, get a John woods or bts valve body and triple disk converter. That will last a while at sub 450hp. Save up for a full trans build down the road.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
Gorrila550

Name: Gorrila550
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
At least get a quality towing converting they should be fine my friend couldn't kill the stock replacement converter in his truck and he hauled a 38,000 gooseneck trailer with about 500hp 7.3. Also check the belleville springs closely as they crack and fail under abuse. Built two transmissions because of them failing.

Closed Thread