Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 89-93 1st Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:02 AM   #1
JNewman92

Name: JNewman92
Title: Its Only $$$$$
Member`s Gallery
A 92's Journey

Well it's been a very long time since I've been on here an posted anything about my truck. Figured I'd start a build thread an give everyone a update as to what all has happened an what plans I have with it. So here it goes.....

Last time I was on here I had the 160 P7100 I had acquired on the truck an did the swap with the help of my friend while I was attending college. Within about three weeks a head gasket was blown an a stock transmissions life was ended when I went to take it down to track to get some updated times.

Click the image to open in full size.

Once I graduated college, was finally home an able to work on it. I pulled the head to assess the situation an prepare to just have the head resurfaced, new head gasket an focus on a new transmission.

Well plans changed, now having more funds available from securing a good job an having more time I decided it was the perfect opportunity to do what I always wanted with it, some good bodywork an paint. From the beginning the paint had looked like the previous owner had repainted it in a barn along with the nice dings, scratches an hail damage that came with it. But hey I couldn't complain it was rust free an only 112k miles.

So i decided to pull the engine along with the transmission an start disassembling the truck. Click the image to open in full size.

Once everything was off an out of the truck, first starting point was the frame. Beings the truck had lived it's whole life prior in Alabama, the entire truck was virtually rust free. With direction from my good friend, I began wire wheeling the entire frame, prepping it to be painted. Click the image to open in full size.

Once it was all prepped an ready, with brush in hand I began rust prevention of the frame. Even though the quality would have been 10x better if it was sprayed instead of brushed I chose to brush it simply because I plan within the next 2 years after I enjoy it as a street truck to back halve it an go prostreet, but that's a story for later. It turned out pretty good I think for being brushed.

Once that was completed I began saving funds for the next big step which was bodywork an paint. When it was time the bed an all other body pieces were removed minus the cab an front fenders. The truck was taken to my good friends shop for body work an paint. There it was completely stripped down to bare metal, holes from the badges were welded up and any dents were repaired.

A few small touches were done throughout the process as well. This being one of them, it's hard to tell if you don't know what your looking for. But the bottoms of the fenders on each end an both sides are actually cut back an rewelded for more tire clearance since I plan to lower the truck. Everything still looks factory an no more tires rubbing!

All in primer an ready for paint! *sorry In advance I will not say the paint code 😈.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by JNewman92; 12-12-2016 at 02:04 AM.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:23 AM   #2
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Then the reveal

No editing on any of the pictures by the way. The color actually in my opinion came out way better than it looks from the factory. Contains a lot of pearl, an color flops like crazy depending on the light. Here's some of it being out in the light for the first time

Doors, hood, various small pieces such as cowl screen along with the tailgate followed same process.

Since there was too much hail damage on my original hood, I acquired this one off a parts truck I had at the time that was rust an dent free. Yes the hood stack is going back on.

The truck was then brought back to the house. An work began on the engine.

Internally would remain the same, stock rods, pistons, Hamilton cast 188-220 cam. I was able to pick up a clean head that had some porting work done. It would be fitted with Hamilton 165# beehive springs, Hamilton extreme duty pushrods an just stock valves.

Head was then ceramic coated an also was able to pick up a scheid one piece valve cover at a decent price, also purchased a intake plate from scheid as well.

Engine wouldn't look right without some color matching of course

Soon after tailgate and inner fenders were painted an I had my LE plate color matched as well

Old 12-12-2016, 02:55 AM   #3
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
I was able to pick up a 215 pump from another friend. *pump would later be sent to Seth Farrell to calibrate an bench. Pump has 5ks, full cuts an flowed 650cc at Seth's, pin timed to 28*. I also purchased a set of 5x18s from scheid , billet tappet cover, and a custom set of stainless .093 lines to go over my one piece cover since I'm still running a intake shelf.

Air wise I'll be running a mishimoto 2nd Gen intercooler an a borgwarner 75/87/1.0.

Purchased my steed speed then reassembled the engine for install back in to the truck.

Motor was then brought to the house an reinstalled in the truck. Click the image to open in full size.

Of course some polishing an ceramic coating for the turbo.

Still have a few small things to acquire for the engine before it'll be completely done .

Once the engine was set back in, I then focused on getting my interior put all back in. I installed sound deadner an insulation material along with new carpet. My headliner also was redone, no more sagging an good as new!

I wanted something different for gauges an regardless I wanted to have the factory gauge look but a little modern so I this happened. *the gauge needles are actually color matched same as the truck*

Since that point I've been getting the last few things for the engine an transmission. As far as transmission goes it'll be a full manual valve body basically 48re with RH tailshaft. Also will have billet input, output and a triple disc converter from DPC. Was able to acquire a passenger drop 241 transfer case out of a gas first gen for some weight savings.

Recently purchased a airdog 4g for it as well that I'll be running. As of now just still getting everything back together. Once the transmission is built I hope to get everything done an have it running before February. Bed an roll pan will be painted this spring. Tires an slicks will also be purchased in the next couple months. Plan to lower the truck an run one leaf in the rear, at least two in the front with a set of double adjustable afco shocks an caltrac's. Hopefully be out hitting the track this spring, stay tuned for updates!

Old 12-12-2016, 03:41 AM   #4
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
I love what you've done to the 1stgen, but I want to know about the 1968 Dodge Charger in the 3rd pic of your first post.

Mark.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Awesome work!

Love the paint!

Old 12-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
BRE

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Nice thread! Keep up the good work!
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Nice Work

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 12-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
I love what you've done to the 1stgen, but I want to know about the 1968 Dodge Charger in the 3rd pic of your first post.

Mark.
Was waiting for someone to notice that lol. It's all numbers matching . Auto, has the "high output" 383, it's that cream yellow they offered for that year with black interior an a black vinyl top. My younger brother is currently working on restoring that, sadly will need mostly all new sheet metal=$$$

Old 12-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
That color is a perfect fit.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for sharing and keep the updates coming. First Gen's forever!!

Old 12-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 12-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #12
Cummins12Club

Name: Cummins12Club
Title: Happy Dinosaur
Member`s Gallery
Future plans to go common rail?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #13
JNewman92

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12Club View Post

I hate you lol

Old 12-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #14
BC847

Name: BC847
Member`s Gallery
Well done!

Silencer ring MIA, str8 pipe with 10" exhaust tip, 250psi boost gauge, ghost-lights 'n truck-nutz. K&N air filter next (if my grades are good enoufh).

Old 12-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #15
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12Club View Post

I'm with this guy
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #16
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Once I get into the new shop and if this thing doesn't sell eventually, that's the way I'm going to go with it.
6.7, 2wd, NV5600, with the spooky box and all.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #17
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Once I get into the new shop and if this thing doesn't sell eventually, that's the way I'm going to go with it.
6.7, 2wd, NV5600, with the spooky box and all.

You bought that?!
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #18
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
You bought that?!
I was wondering the same thing, but it looks like its for sale so I wonder if Seth was just trying to help him sell it?

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #19
BRE

Member`s Gallery
I liked the truck. I'd drive it.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #20
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Just another rattly, cramped, under powered 1st gen.
It's for sale.

Mark.

Closed Thread