turning the barrels?

railhor5.9

cummins racer
I have a 175 pump,370's no plate,no afc and a 4kgsk. can i loosen my barrels up and turn them conter clockwise to gain more power? or will i just end up making my pump not flow even and run worse? And anyone ever made their own nitrous system? i have a bottle, and a sylinoid and all the line to do it just wondering if i should use a jet or no jet. i dont think drive pressure will be an issue. its only making 30 psi and takes a day to spool up with the 21cm exh housing. this is not a daily driver just a ragged out single cab short bed 1st gen dodge. thanks!

I have a 175 pump,370's no plate,no afc and a 4kgsk. can i loosen my barrels up and turn them conter clockwise to gain more power? or will i just end up making my pump not flow even and run worse? And anyone ever made their own nitrous system? i have a bottle, and a sylinoid and all the line to do it just wondering if i should use a jet or no jet. i dont think drive pressure will be an issue. its only making 30 psi and takes a day to spool up with the 21cm exh housing. this is not a daily driver just a ragged out single cab short bed 1st gen dodge. thanks!

I think the general concensus is that you need to have your pump on a bench to turn the barrels and make it flow properly.

how are you only making 30psi with all that fuel. i understand the 21cm exh housing but i can lite 18.5 housing pretty damn quick and i only have supposed "60hp" injectors.

Garrett

i dont know how im only building 30 psi... its the stock h1c that came in 1992. i can build 20 psi in neutral free reving it to 4000rpms... i figured i should have more than 30 tho. maybe i should redo the line running from my gauge to the motor. what kinda timing should i run with my injectors? i have studs but there sittin in the passenger seat.

I never had great success with a 21cm housing on my hx35 but I didn't really do too too much tuning on it either. I also had a huge leak in my stock intercooler at the time.

I think the general concensus is that you need to have your pump on a bench to turn the barrels and make it flow properly.

My response to that is how does Jeff Garmon and Brad Ponci both make 700+ HP with a 160 pump that's never been off the truck?

I wonder if they have figured out a way to turn the barrels with the pump still bolted to the truck? Maybe they adjust and then start it up and see how it idles? If it runs rough, go back to original barrel settings and try again.

My response to that is how does Jeff Garmon and Brad Ponci both make 700+ HP with a 160 pump that's never been off the truck?

I wonder if they have figured out a way to turn the barrels with the pump still bolted to the truck? Maybe they adjust and then start it up and see how it idles? If it runs rough, go back to original barrel settings and try again.

Use the starter to turn the engine over and check the balance between each pumping element?

It would seem like a crude way to do it considering that the spec sheets I've seen don't allow for much variance between pumping elements. I would think the truck would still run, but not nearly as good and smooth as it would if you actually put the pump on a bench to properly calibrate it.

I don't see why you couldent turn the barrels while still on the truck. I think a heat gun on the exhaust manifold could get you close but I could be wrong.

You turn them clockwise.

I've turned them without any issues on 160's, 175's, and 180's. The 160 and 175 12v's make right around 550hp on fuel with 181's. My 180 ran low 13's on fuel, and dyno'd 715hp with nitrous. The last 160 I played with was for my breothers P-pumped 24v which made around 640hp. Apparently it can cause some issues, but again I never ran into any.

If you search there is thread about turning them where someone came on from a pump shop and advises against it.

Brett

Back