Ladder Bars

In my experience ladder bars are useless unlles you have an axle floater because the unequal lengths of the spring and bar cause a bind when the two try to move.

This causes more wheel hop and spring wrap than any other kinda traction device.

Single link bars are great especially if long so that the bar can flex if needed to, rather than wrap up the suspension

The best is a four link with an axle floater but is kinda overkill unless your draggin or pulling. The calculations for length n location are way beyond any disscussion i could put forward here.

It does matter very much what the length of any traction device is because there is an imaginary intersection point of the device with the centre of graviity of the vehicle. If you go under the cg then the vehicle lifts the front too much, and if you go over the cg the rear squats

In my numerous calculations of cg the most favourable spot on a standard cab, long box truck for the forward mouting point of a single bar is right under the rear cab mount or slightly behind.

This forward mount location may be off an inch or so of the exact cg point depending on the weight of the motor ( I never calculated cg weight for a diesel havin been a gasser puller wit hlighter motors - 400lbs or so less)

The rearward mount works best on brackets that locate the rear lower attachement point of the bar at a point a 1/2" above the lower backing plate edge

if you have done it right - more times than not the bars will exactly parrallel your driveshaft angle which takes the last "bind " element out of the equation

If I had to choose between perfect cg location over parralelling the drive shaft - I choose the parralel drive shaft angle every time

$.02

Mine are just a few degrees off of paralelling my drive shaft. If I had gone with the longer version they would have paralelled it but I didn't like the way they would look on my truck and didn't wanna spend the money. My bars don't affect my ride at all. Neither did my first set which were unadjustable. They actually improved my ride by making it feel tighter, not stiffer. Instead of the rear end bouncing every where they made it taut like a sports car. I'm very happy with my single bars. No axle wrap no matter how hard I launch.

EEP bars

What is your truck a reg cab?? EXT CAB??

I have a set of EEP bars that I would sell,that are brand new!!! They are the double bars. They come with longer ubolts for the back so you dont have to weld!!

EEP ladder bars arent cheap but I seen where someone said they are a grand?? I paid $750 for mine!!!

So on a dialy driver that just likes to drive fast and take off quickly with the best traction possible would a single bar mounted below the rear axle be better or would a ladder bar setup be better where there is one mounting piont at the frame and the bar connects to axle above and below?

Would either of them better function if the lower bar was close to parrallel to the driveshaft angle? On my ext cab lwb the driveshaft has a short section behind the carier bearing, would that make them too short?

This is a good thread lol

What is your truck a reg cab?? EXT CAB??

I have a set of EEP bars that I would sell,that are brand new!!! They are the double bars. They come with longer ubolts for the back so you dont have to weld!!

EEP ladder bars arent cheap but I seen where someone said they are a grand?? I paid $750 for mine!!!

Ex Cab, Long Bed

Chris

Back