Sheids Street Cam??

Dodgentwo

What do you guys know about these cams? Was told their street cam was good. Its the largest one without needing fly cuts. Anyone run this? Or know about it? What kind of power is it good for? Work good in a street/ occasional pulling truck?

Thanks,
Travis

What do you guys know about these cams? Was told their street cam was good. Its the largest one without needing fly cuts. Anyone run this? Or know about it? What kind of power is it good for? Work good in a street/ occasional pulling truck?

Thanks,
Travis

I'm pretty sure all Scheids street cams are regrinds. Some don't have a problem with that but, some do.

Do a search on cams here at the forum... there's some good threads on the subject.

Thanks for the link fellas. But do any of you have a suggestion on a good cam? I drive the truck, and occasionally pull it. I love power. And being able to pull up beside just about anyone and spank them if the urge comes on lol. So I want a fairly stout cam that is also good for the occasional hook.

Ok so I'm reading that other post, and mostly what I get from it is a pissing contest between the two manufacturers of the cams. Which is no bash to either one, just stating.

So here is my new question. My truck is a street driven truck. It makes good power(i think atleast). It smokes a lot, which is fine with me. I also occasionally hook to the sled. So I basically want a cam to add power, help spoolup. The lower EGT is a plus too. I plan to put 5K springs in the truck. That doesnt mean it will be run there much.

So what cam is for me? I have an HX55 turbo, big injectors, LC DV's, around 25* timing, DD clutch, no fuel plate.

Someone with a set-up like mine please give me some info. Or what you run with success. Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance

Travis

Looks like you have a close setup as me and my truck has street puller cam in it. Idles good and will turn 5K. My idle is a little high for my liking. Its at 950. Im going to change it to 600ish and I hope I get it to lope a little bit!!!!!!!!

I would go with an Helix 2 cam from F1. They are bullit and not a regrind. There is to much stress on a p pump cam any ways so I wouldn't go that way. I have never ran them in a Cummins but have delt with them in the atv world and I have had to rebuild twice because of regrinds.

I would go with an Helix 2 cam from F1. They are bullit and not a regrind. There is to much stress on a p pump cam any ways so I wouldn't go that way. I have never ran them in a Cummins but have delt with them in the atv world and I have had to rebuild twice because of regrinds.

Not sure if you ment billet, but the f1 I don't believe is a billet cam, though it is not a regrind.

Looks like you have a close setup as me and my truck has street puller cam in it. Idles good and will turn 5K. My idle is a little high for my liking. Its at 950. Im going to change it to 600ish and I hope I get it to lope a little bit!!!!!!!!

Cam shafts in a diesel should not change your idle speed as they do not operate with vacuum like a gasser.

F1 cams are not billet cams. Billet cams require the block to be lime bored. I run the scheid cam in my 05 and I like it alot.

cams

maxspool cam in my opinion great price knoledgeable person to deal with and will stand behind the part!!

F-1 :rockwoot:and no regrinds for me.... The F-1's are not billet but are ground from a cast UGL core, and not reground. And they keep the rocker ratio the same since their not grinding off the backside of a factory cam.

Brett

Thanks,
Travis
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Travis:

I wanted to let you know that NOT ALL of Scheid Diesel's Camshafts are regrinds! They can custom cut anything you want and will start with a new camshaft if that is what you want. However, they do sell "regrinds" for the street mainly to keep costs down to the customer.

FWIW, Scheid Diesel built my engine on my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve. I asked for and they built me a custom camshaft starting with a brand new cam! I did not want a "regrind." For your information, my pistons are cut to be able to run this particular cam, but that is not neccessary if you want a "street cam." For more information on any of this, I would recommend you talk to Brad Ingram @ Scheid Diesel (Effingham, Ill.) if you want to.
His toll-free number is: 1-800-669-1934. I have already put over 35,000 miles on my engine and have no problems with the camshaft or engine.

---------
John_P

to my knowlage the cams dont break because there regrinds the smap becaust there cheap cast steel and a modden p pump is dam hard to drive. althouhg i doubt being ground on helps make them stronger. i diddent know scheid did new cams. that was the main reason i was going to go with the h2 but i want some info before i shell out $$$ for something. i understand wanting to keep you competive edge but evere gas engine cam manuf tells you all the info anout his cam. why are they so hush hush with diesel cams.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Travis:

I wanted to let you know that NOT ALL of Scheid Diesel's Camshafts are regrinds! They can custom cut anything you want and will start with a new camshaft if that is what you want. However, they do sell "regrinds" for the street mainly to keep costs down to the customer.

FWIW, Scheid Diesel built my engine on my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve. I asked for and they built me a custom camshaft starting with a brand new cam! I did not want a "regrind." For your information, my pistons are cut to be able to run this particular cam, but that is not neccessary if you want a "street cam." For more information on any of this, I would recommend you talk to Brad Ingram @ Scheid Diesel (Effingham, Ill.) if you want to.
His toll-free number is: 1-800-669-1934. I have already put over 35,000 miles on my engine and have no problems with the camshaft or engine.

---------
John_P

Sorry, don't mean to take this OT but !

John I understand you're happy with what Scheid did for you. I think you probably know I also had my engine built with them too.

The problem with Scheid is... if you're not going to spend 20K with them... they barely give you the time of day. I did almost spend that much and can't get one return phone call. NOT ONE !!

I will say this... they do know their 12V engine but, know nothing about 3rd gens. Hell, Dustin is still having problem with his Scheid build.

I had to send them just about all the components I wanted installed because they wanted to sell me everything Scheid. Once they heard that... the whole attitude changed. Knowing what I was trying to build.... they didn't care... they only cared about selling me their products.

I picked my truck up the day before last years Scheid event. Went to the event and asked.... because i just spend what I did with you guys, can I get a free T shirt and maybe a free run on the dyno ( to see what they built ). You wouldn't believe the trouble they gave me for asking. Dan actually had to think about letting run the dyno.... are you kidding !!! When I was given the T shirt it was like they were breaking to bank to do so.

Pfffttt !! is what I say to Scheid. They aren't trying to help build high performance engines.... they're trying to make a fortune regrinding cams that they got for free in the first place.

Back