What Cam Is Best To Run !!!

I need to choose a cam for the 12 valve auto that I'm building and would like to know what you guys out there like best. I have a ported head with a sheet metal intake and a k31/silver bullet that the guys at IIS made up for me, I would like to see 4500 to 5000 rpm and still light that big turbo in the lower rpm's. Any thoughts???:thankyou2:

What lower RPM?

Lighting a charger that big isn't going to happen below 2K RPM no matter what cam you have;)

Of course a "K31/Silver Bullet" doesn't mean much?? Which part is K31, and which is SB?
Chris

What lower RPM?

Lighting a charger that big isn't going to happen below 2K RPM no matter what cam you have;)

Of course a "K31/Silver Bullet" doesn't mean much?? Which part is K31, and which is SB?
Chris

Its a silver bullet housing with a k31 compressor wheel in it but the hot side is a silver bullet. It should spool good with the turbine housing and wheel thats in it, but ya I agree it might not do anything under 2K. I just want it to leave hard and pull all the way through. I do have a fairly loose converter that should help. I just want to know what other people are using and how they like what they have.

I don't think your gonna push 4500-5000 rpms worth of air through the hot side of a silver bullet, without having insane drive pressures. That charger should light very easy at the line with any type of of high stall convertor.
If you can get it to 1700 at the line it should start to build boost, by 2000-2200 rpm it should be at 20-22 psi, and at 3000 it should be easily at 50 psi. These are all at less than 1000' of elevation.

Last edited:
I don't think your gonna push 4500-5000 rpms worth of air through the hot side of a silver bullet, without having insane drive pressures. That charger should light very easy at the line with any type of of high stall convertor.
If you can get it to 1700 at the line it should start to build boost, by 2000-2200 rpm it should be at 20-22 psi, and at 3000 it should be easily at 50 psi. These are all at less than 1000' of elevation.

I'm thinking with a big wastgate the drive pressure should be good and some spray to burn up any leftover fuel. Whats your thoughts on that? Thanks.*nx*

I'm thinking with a big wastgate the drive pressure should be good and some spray to burn up any leftover fuel. Whats your thoughts on that? Thanks.*nx*

Big external gate? Maybe I don't know, I just know that my SB just seemed to not want to run much over 38-3900, just seemed like it went flat and the EGT's went up. Same setup with an s400 truck would go to 4200 most of the time, and then it was on the govenor.

I haven't every used the NOS.

The Helix 2 and Maxspool both seem to be good all around cams. Either one should help out with spooling it. Like zstroken said though, i think its gonna be hard to get 4500-5000 rpm worth of air out of that turbo. It takes a whole lot of air to run the rpms up that high.

I too would go with the Helix H2. If you were goin to turn more rpm's than that I would look into the H3. I haven't ever seen the H3 in action so I would go with the tried and true H2.

I need to choose a cam for the 12 valve auto that I'm building and would like to know what you guys out there like best. I have a ported head with a sheet metal intake and a k31/silver bullet that the guys at IIS made up for me, I would like to see 4500 to 5000 rpm and still light that big turbo in the lower rpm's. Any thoughts???:thankyou2:

mine

Back