Brand Wars

Craftsman and S&K for me, I have 1 Snap-on 1/4 finger ratchet which I have used once so far. I haven't broken tools yet, I haven't had a problem where I didn't come up with a way to get things loose to save my tools. I like Lisle tools too, low cost and dependable IMO. Gear wrenches are nice but a little thin when you need to put some grunt into breaking things loose.

Cornwell tools are over priced same with Snap-on. Mac and Matco I have never bought or worked with before. Not sure about Proto though.

I started with Craftsman, and I'm slowly building my Snap-On collection. I won't buy Mac or Matco because Matco is produced by the same company who makes Craftsman, Kobalt, and Gearwrench. So why pay the high prices for the same stuff you can get at Lowes and Sears? Mac is owned by Stanley now as well, so who knows what their quality will go to. Not to say Snap-On is the best ever, they re-box a lot as well, but I still feel they're the best hand tools you can get, and I'll continue to buy them for that reason.

I have some craftsman stuff, but find it kinda uncomfortable (especially the wrenches) I have actually been buying Mastercraft Maximum wrenchs (not sure who makes them, but they are sold at Canadian Tire) They are cheap, tough, and I like the finish on the wrenches

I buy MAC or Snap-On for certain things, I like GearWrench, and of course I have Craftsman and SK.

I am also a dealer for Preferred Tool and Equipment out of Michigan, which means I can buy GearWrench, SK, Titan Tool, OTC, and about a hundred or so other manufacturers for a very reasonable price. It depends on how much the tool will be used in the shop here, or whether it's a special item that dictates what I buy.

There are cheap tools that work, and there are tools it pays to have Snap-On. There is a difference in the quality. Nothing worse than telling a customer they can't have their tractor back because of a broken tool. That can't happen here!

Chris

All of my stuff is Crafstman but my ratchets are Snap On.I plan to start slowly getting all Snap On but I got to get a box to hold it first LOL

Yea I checked that site out a while back.The Snap On one I am looking at they call it a roll cart,but it will be big enough for a few years.And they have a box that can be added on to it.My biggest thing with this one is the drawer's wont be deep enough.I like to keep all of my wrenches in order and I don't see it holding 7mm-30mm front to back.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=storage&item_ID=651304&group_ID=682831&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I did how ever look at the Kobalt box and I really like it and believe it would be big enough to last me for life.I have not got to really look at one in person yet tho.They also have one that comes with a top chest and has a radio built into it,even tho it wouldn't be worth crap I thought it was pretty cool
http://www.lowes.com/pd_351991-5573...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Mac was bought by Stanley huh? I wonder when that happened.

I'm not exactly sure, I never researched into it since I don't have a Mac tool truck in my area, but my Snap On guy told me one day he had another customer come on the truck with a story of trying to get a Mac screw driver replaced and the guy gave him a stanley one like you could buy at Wal Mart as the replacement, he was like uuuuuum wtf is this? He said this I'd the warranty piece. I would have been pissed too.

if you work profesionally craftsman is not supposed to be warrantied. I have a S&K dealer about 2 miles from my house, they also carry GP so thats what i have been using. I also use snap-on and blue point and have not had a problem. I try making my tools last for the most part.

Pretty much all craftsman now. Bought a 1/4" set from SK a while back for $140 more than the craftsman equivalent and I don't care for it at all. I just realized the two extensions that came in the kit do not have balls on the end of them to hold the sockets on. I have used snap on and mac stuff aswell but for the price its not worth it. Although, snap on 80t ratchets are amazing! Craftsman New high polish ratchets are very nice also

For the most part I have snap on but I just demo'ed there 1" drive impact and i was very disappointed my $160 harbor freight impact ran circles around it

Mostly mac tools for me because our snapon guy only likes to show up once a year.... Im about fed up with tool trucks and there 200% markup on tools. Ill stick with craftsman and harbor freight from now on out.

Harbor freight has cheap-o s**t I've broken impacts into little bits and pieces on multiple occasions. The swivels don't have the same angle that my Snap-Ons do and when you try and get them into tight spots they just break. I buy the quality tool and I buy it once. Snap-On usually has buy-one get-ones too..just picked up 3/8 drive deep and shallow plus a 90 tooth 3/8 drive rachet for $235. 19mm-6mm. I don't know if its the practicality or the chrome but I just plain like Snap-On tools. I've never had a problem with one.

I like the snap on air tools and there older rachets. I break the new ones within a week of having it fixed its annoying, matco however makes some nice products and I like there boxes over snap-on

It doesnt matter what brand of tool you use, If you abuse/use them every day they will break. Just get one with a warranty and a brand willing to honor their warranty.

It doesnt matter what brand of tool you use, If you abuse/use them every day they will break. Just get one with a warranty and a brand willing to honor their warranty.

There is a huge difference between using them everyday, and abuse.

I have guys in my shop that have been using the same tools since the mid 80's with VERY few broken tools or replacement tools....and I have guys that use the same stuff and have it replaced all the time.

An extension is not a punch, a screwdriver is not a chisel....use the right tool for the right job the right way, and it will last for a very long time no matter who made it!

Chris

Back