Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Import Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Import Diesel VW TDI, Mercedes, and other Import Diesel Discussion can be found here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
Billysgoat

Name: Billysgoat
Title: The ANTI-BLING!
Member`s Gallery
BMW 335D, thoughts?

Looking at one hard to replace this POS Jetta, from what I have read they seem to be fairly reliable once the EGR is made into a good EGR. Drove one today, I might have giggled a little bit.

03 Dog, named Clifford, to heavy to be fast.
11 335D, the grin machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
I was there & I herd Heath say.........."LET GO OF MY EARS, I KNOW WHAT I`M DOING"

BTB,BBB

Old 12-22-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
That engine have a electric water pump? My buddies left us stranded this spring. It was 8k mile over the coolant system inspection it didn't get and boom overheat and limp mode.. beside that his is a 6speed. Runs great.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
A friend of mine has a 2014 335d m sport, it's surprisingly quick and gets mid 30's at 75mph. A headlight assembly was $2200 though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 12-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
DDually

Name: DDually
Title: Still spooling..
Member`s Gallery
In on this. Ive looked at them. They have carbon build up problems (i think) as well as high pressure fuel pump problems. I researched for a bit but i was turned off by people complaining about them. Could have been beemer owners b!tching about stuff though. Another thing i didnt like is that the larger displacement, older versions didnt come with AWD.

2001 VW TDI South bend, tune, nozzys, custom stuff that's rusting, one custom thing that's not rusting

Old 12-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
DDually

Name: DDually
Title: Still spooling..
Member`s Gallery
I would only look at the older inline 6 twin turbo ones.

2001 VW TDI South bend, tune, nozzys, custom stuff that's rusting, one custom thing that's not rusting

Old 12-23-2016, 12:56 AM   #6
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I have two of the M-57 diesels torn apart. The new N-57 engine is a completely different animal. Timing chain is on the rear of the engine kinda different with three turbos.

We wanted to pull the trigger on an '11 335D.

This stuff
Quote:
A headlight assembly was $2200 though.
...has kept our money in our pockets.

I have two of each of just about everything for the M57. CP4.2's, injectors, rails,...etc all for sale. everything except the long block as we are going mechanical injection.

I can see using the engine for something. The rest of the car is just a 'look at the size of my wallet' kinda car. Well, I guess the engines are sorta that way as well. lol

Old 12-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #7
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Member`s Gallery
The single turbo kits for the 335 gas and diesel are sick.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #8
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cummins5.9 View Post
That engine have a electric water pump? My buddies left us stranded this spring. It was 8k mile over the coolant system inspection it didn't get and boom overheat and limp mode.. beside that his is a 6speed. Runs great.
The M57 has a belt driven water pump. You may have been riding in a newer model with the N57.

The earlier versions of the M-57 had cast iron blocks. My two 11's are all aluminum.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billysgoat View Post
Looking at one hard to replace this POS Jetta, from what I have read they seem to be fairly reliable once the EGR is made into a good EGR. Drove one today, I might have giggled a little bit.
I looked at them quite a bit when we were initially thinking about getting rid of our TDI... I was torn between a CPO Chevy Cruze diesel and a high mile BMW 335d. When I found the Cruze with only 4,100 miles and CPO warranty it won out.

The BMW is a much more enjoyable car to drive than either the Cruze or TDI for sure!!!

If money were no object I would be in an M-Sport 334d for sure!!! But with the cost of the car and expensive potential repairs on a high mileage car I opted to go with the safety net of the CPO Chevy with almost 44,000 miles left on the warranty!

One of the big issues for the early (2009-2011) BMW 335d that I have heard about is the carbon buildup, much like other emission equipped diesels with heavy EGR... I am confident you could handle the service, but I think the manifold is plastic and typically just replaced rather than cleaned like the aluminum VW ones you've done in the past.

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Intakes are composite and from what I've read on Bimmerfest, most dIY'ers opt to clean them. Two intake ports result in amazing intake volume without the swirl flaps.

I'm pretty sure the swirl flaps must be left in if you plan to use the common rail injection?????

The EGR can be deleted and the crankcase vented to atmosphere just like the more popular diesels.

One of my engines has a programmer plugged in to the harness if anyone would be interested in a programmer.

I lack the ambition to become involved with the common rail injection. I would, however, love to see someone stack a couple cp3's on the 183 cu. in. engine with supporting turbo's just to see if it will make as much HP as my A-pump engines.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #11
Billysgoat

Member`s Gallery
From my reading the intakes can be walnut hull blasted for cleaning, that would happen before I even really start driving the car most likely. What I have seen/read they don't push these engines that hard as the trans can only handle about 550ftlbs. I am not that worried about performance upgrades as this would be a DD. Finding a lot of them in the 50k miles range for sale, most likely coming out of warranty and getting the boot. As I plan to put 200k+ on the car long term repairs and maintenance are definitely a concern. I have not looked that hard into that aspect yet, still giggling over the drive experience

Quote:
I was there & I herd Heath say.........."LET GO OF MY EARS, I KNOW WHAT I`M DOING"

BTB,BBB

Old 12-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
Mooner1

Name: Mooner1
Member`s Gallery
Hadn't really been all that aware of this car until you posted this up. As I was searching for used ones on Auto Trader there was an article about how they are anamazing used car buy, and one of the best do it all/all around cars BMW ever made. I thought it interesting though that mpg is listed at "only" 36/23. I bet/hope the mileage numbers could be improved upon significantly with deletes and tuning? I'd love to put the wife in one for her 100+ mi per day commute. She loves her Jetta TDI and the 45-47mpg it gets is hard to argue with.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #13
Billysgoat

Member`s Gallery
From my reading 40-42 seems to be about tops for mileage (on average), you are moving a heavier car with a larger engine so the mileage just won't be the same. I'm in the same boat as your wife, 42 miles from my door to work. The other option I have been looking at is a Mazda 6, salesman who calls on me says he is getting a solid 36-38 driving 75+. It is not nearly as fun to drive though!

Quote:

BTB,BBB

Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
From my reading 40-42 seems to be about tops for mileage (on average), you are moving a heavier car with a larger engine so the mileage just won't be the same. I'm in the same boat as your wife, 42 miles from my door to work. The other option I have been looking at is a Mazda 6, salesman who calls on me says he is getting a solid 36-38 driving 75+. It is not nearly as fun to drive though!
Billy, if it is between a Mazda and the BMW 335d, I would go with the 335d for sure!!!

If it is all about mileage, fix and keep your ALH VW TDI, but if it is about joy of driving go for the Bimmer!!!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
CookCR

Name: CookCR
Member`s Gallery
I looked at the BMW 328D and 335D but couldn't get around all the horror stories I read online about their issues and the cost to fix them. I drive 70 miles each way for work and thought it would be a fun ride, they drive great but I didn't want to pay to get it fixed if something happened. Is your Jetta a gas or TDI?

Old 12-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
Billysgoat

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
Billy, if it is between a Mazda and the BMW 335d, I would go with the 335d for sure!!!

If it is all about mileage, fix and keep your ALH VW TDI, but if it is about joy of driving go for the Bimmer!!!
It's about both, if I am going to spend that much time in the car, might as well enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookCR View Post
I looked at the BMW 328D and 335D but couldn't get around all the horror stories I read online about their issues and the cost to fix them. I drive 70 miles each way for work and thought it would be a fun ride, they drive great but I didn't want to pay to get it fixed if something happened. Is your Jetta a gas or TDI?
The cars have been out for a while now, lots of high mileage units that aren't having to many issues. The upside is there is a lot of aftermarket support for the repair side, the downside is parts are not cheap.

The 11 Jetta I have now is TDI, love the motor, hate the chassis. Another option is sportwagon or Golf, but I am worried about the "fix" they will come out with.

Quote:

BTB,BBB

Old 12-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #17
Howling

Name: Howling
Title: Soot Sniffer
Member`s Gallery
I still don't know what I'm going to replace my 13 Golf TDI with

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2006 Dodge CTD/48re 4x4 Sport
With some fuel and air.
Bullseye,Hamilton,Exergy,EFI,ATS,FASS,HTS,Thuren, Toyo's...

1996 2500 RC 4x4 CTD-63/68/.83,5X.014,180 maxed Ppump,Fass...

Old 12-29-2016, 09:18 PM   #18
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
Wouldn't recommend the Mazda. My girlfriend and sister both have one, they are both cheap tin cars and I have to work on them very often. Not impressed by the way they were built or the way they've held up.
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Last edited by mfsuper90; 12-29-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #19
CookCR

Name: CookCR
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The 11 Jetta I have now is TDI, love the motor, hate the chassis. Another option is sportwagon or Golf, but I am worried about the "fix" they will come out with.
Hmm, what type of issues are you having and how many miles are on it? I had a 12' and it was honestly the best car I've ever had. I put 92K on in just under three years and the only issues I had were a headlight bulb that went out 3 times. It was in two hard rear end accidents as well, and even after it was repaired no issues.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #20
Billysgoat

Member`s Gallery
The ride is not that great, too stiff for the lack of sporty, the seats are not as comfy as I would like, lots of road noise and clunks, and the windshield wipers are flat out dangerous. Mechanically the car has been sound, nothing but routine maintenance for almost 40k miles. Just turned over 106k today so no complaints on the quality.

Quote:

BTB,BBB

Closed Thread