Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Repairing a cracked cylinder head

So I bought Phillip Franklins D&J stg2 cylinder head that was in the classifieds. It has cracks in several spots between the seats and I was wondering if anyone has ever had a head successfully repaired? I called Midwest Cylinder Head in Iowa and they said they can furnace weld it and it will be just like new. Others have suggested pinning the cracks, I just wanted to see if anyone here had any experience.

Its just such a nice head, that cost $5k I hate to scrap it without exploring possible options for repair.

I appreciate it!
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 07-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Cflanery88

Name: Cflanery88
Member`s Gallery
I know there is special welding processes out there for welding cast iron. The machine shop that did my Machine work offers it specifically for cracked heads and blocks. Not really sure how well it works. But the furnace welding sounds pretty BA. I also read an article a year or two back where a company was 3D printing repairs on cast iron as well. If we can 3D print titanium alloys and laser weld cracks not visible to the naked eye anything is possible with enough money lol.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L, Wagler +.080 rods, Hobbit tuned, Exergy150% injectors,Polished s475/87 1:0 A/R Engineered Turbo Billet Wheel,arp625s,14mm main studs,PPE dual fuelers,Hamilton 188/220,extreme pushrods,Fleece bypass/drains/distribution block,110#springs.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
Dom_c13b

Name: Dom_c13b
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Check with Mountain High Performance in Colorado, they repair heads as well.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
Check with Mountain High Performance in Colorado, they repair heads as well.
I called them and they would try to drill and plug the cracks, but I would have to send it to them before they can let me know if they would be able to do it or not. I appreciate the lead.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT View Post
I called them and they would try to drill and plug the cracks, but I would have to send it to them before they can let me know if they would be able to do it or not. I appreciate the lead.
Please do not drill/pin cracks in the head; it very rarely holds pressure. In my experience, your best bet is to have the head pressure tested(in hot water). If it doesn't leak, run it! If it does start to leak, have the entire underside of the head spray-welded and remachined.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 07-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuggler View Post
Please do not drill/pin cracks in the head; it very rarely holds pressure. In my experience, your best bet is to have the head pressure tested(in hot water). If it doesn't leak, run it! If it does start to leak, have the entire underside of the head spray-welded and remachined.
I had a head that was done and the drilled/threaded set screws to hold the seats in(brilliant plan) I always was fighting issues with it leaking coolant. My annual ritual was to run some Iron tite in the coolant system, and it would hold a pressure test for a couple of passes, and then I just would run the coolant level, and drain it down after pulling.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 07-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
SPEEDSHIFT

Member`s Gallery
So far I have called about 30 places over the last two days and it seems like furnace welding is the best way to repair my head. A few of the shops recommend using, or use Midwest Cylinder Head themselves for the repairs.

They are the only place that offers a warranty and guaranteed it is non issue repair. They say once it is done, you cannot tell anything has been welded, doesn't even show up during magnafluxing.

It is really expensive though, they quoted me $900 for just the welding or $1500 completely rebuilt. Still cheaper than a new race head though.

http://www.midwestcylinderhead.com/index.php

Last edited by SPEEDSHIFT; 07-06-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Closed Thread