Drop hitch height for a 6" lift w/ 35's?

ChuckNorse

Hey guys. I know this may be a dumb question, so please take it easy on me. (I just saw what happened to a poor guy who asked about a silencer ring.) I just bought a 2006 Dodge and it has a 6" lift and 35" tires. It also has air bags, so I am not sure how much it will squat with some weight on it. Does any one have a general idea of how long of a drop hitch I may need? I am not sure how much tongue weight the trailer will have. It is a box trailer that we use for motor sports events. It will have a golf cart and products to display in it.

Here is the truck: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/14173109/1/Truck?h=6649cb

Thanks in advance!

Figure that normally it would probably use a 2" drop at stock height, so add all the lift you have to that... So I am guessing about an 8" drop would work.

Use the tongue jack to level the trailer & measure the height of the trailer tongue. (not connected to the truck.)

Hook the trailer to the truck with a normal load. (as close as you can)

With your lift we should expect the tongue to be to high. Subtract the level trailer height from the connected to the truck height. Then add that number to the amount of drop in the hitch currently on the truck.

With the airbags you should be able to level up the trailer even with varying loads.

You'll prolly have to have a custom drop hich made, I did when I couldn't find any more than a 8in drop anywhere. I think I paid about $275 for two of them. one for a 2in ball and one for 2 5/16. a little pricey but I dont think they'll ever break...

Click me

i have the 6" version, use it in the RV transport industry so its had a trailer on it every day for the last 4 years, works great. my truck is +2 over with 35's

I use the 18" rule...on level surface.

Most trailers need the top of the ball to be 18" off the ground (some 17") in order to be level. That is what I got told from 3 seperate independent custom trailer shops.

Measure from the ground to the top of tow hitch...either use 18" and subtract the two measurements or make sure your on level ground and make the tounge of the trailer level and measure that distance and subtract the distance and that is the drop hitch you will need.

Ie....for me I think it was (totally off the top of my head and could wrong) 26Inches to the top of my hitch reciever...26-18=8

8" drop hitch (and that makes my trailer when hitched LEVEL)

Jake

Here I found this...pictures explain sometimes better....

Choosing the Correct Ball Mount | etrailer.com

Last edited:
Back